Arky postgame thread

TitanTiger

Admittedly, this loss makes it harder for AU to get back to the BCS NC game. ... ... (C,mon now, where's your sense of humor!?)

Total team effort in the loss. Can't pin this on any one individual: 3 picks, numerous drops, 11 penalties total with some coming at the worst possible time negating a few good plays, defense played pretty good but +90 yd TD runs always look bad even in a win. Unbelievable that despite Clark shanking that 11-yd punt early that he ends up with a 40-yd average for the game. Except, it's also never a good sign to have your punter kicking 9 times in a game. When it rains, it pours. And it looked like a virtual monsoon out there at times.

There were some bright spots: D-line looks to be improving and able to stuff the run. O-line starting to get better at run blocking and opening up some holes. Would like to see Tre Mason get his hands on the ball a little more. The UF game is certainly very winnable. WDE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have on going issues that could be fixed, but our coaching staff is failing. Where is the leadership? Most high school teams have more discipline than 11 penalties for 105 yards. For weeks fans have been screaming that Trotter is not the answer (except the moderators at AU family). He hasn't been getting help from his receivers, but where is his leadership? That is my biggest gripe with him. Why isn't he getting in the face of those receivers and inspiring them to step up? He is not being the leader the team needs him to be.

CGM's play calling has been horrific. We almost lost to Utah State because of his play calling, I think we lost to Clemson because of his play call on 3rd and 2, and we almost lost to USC because of his play calling. I think he is afraid to open up the playbook because he has no confidence in our QBs.

I think you are very wrong. They are doing well with what they have (until the wheels fell off in the situation I described in my previous post).

They are building experience into the young talent for the next few years.

The defense is already getting better when many had left them for dead.

Eh.. I worded that wrong. I don't think they are failing overall. I think they are failing to establish a leader; however, CGM's playcalling has been horrific.

I don't know that I'd say horrific, but at times confusing and not very Malzahn-like. I feel in the past that Coach Malzhan has played to our strengths, but many times in his playcalling this year I feel like he's exploited our weaknesses.

We have on going issues that could be fixed, but our coaching staff is failing. Where is the leadership? Most high school teams have more discipline than 11 penalties for 105 yards. For weeks fans have been screaming that Trotter is not the answer (except the moderators at AU family). He hasn't been getting help from his receivers, but where is his leadership? That is my biggest gripe with him. Why isn't he getting in the face of those receivers and inspiring them to step up? He is not being the leader the team needs him to be.

CGM's play calling has been horrific. We almost lost to Utah State because of his play calling, I think we lost to Clemson because of his play call on 3rd and 2, and we almost lost to USC because of his play calling. I think he is afraid to open up the playbook because he has no confidence in our QBs.

I think you are very wrong. They are doing well with what they have (until the wheels fell off in the situation I described in my previous post).

They are building experience into the young talent for the next few years.

The defense is already getting better when many had left them for dead.

Eh.. I worded that wrong. I don't think they are failing overall. I think they are failing to establish a leader; however, CGM's playcalling has been horrific.

I don't know that I'd say horrific, but at times confusing and not very Malzahn-like. I feel in the past that Coach Malzhan has played to our strengths, but many times in his playcalling this year I feel like he's exploited our weaknesses.

I don't know I thought that fake field goal while we were in the lead last week was one of the worst play calls I have ever seen in my life. Then we do a trick play (while in the lead) and blew at least another field goal. If we would have lost that game it would have been by five; therefore, that six points could have been the difference.

I don't think it is all CGM's fault. He now has no confidence in his QBs so he is not willing to open up the playbook.

I have 100% faith in the coaching staff - I just know the youth is giving us some issues. Sad to see some have failed to step up, but that is just part of the game. We'll be fine going forward, and next year should be fun.

I think another solution will be to make sure everybody gets the full benefits of another coach Yox offseason under their belt. With the talent we've got, plus another offseason's worth of strengthening up, we should be back up front next season.

I just don't see why we call some of these plays and really why our offense is in a regression. Dropped passes and bad throws. But gets me is the defense. Are they coaching for their lives or getting some extra coaching help from the big guy. Either way keep it up we can get back ob track. The score got bad not because of them but the turnovers. Defending he short field and being out there the whole time

It was fun for a half. Heck, we were in it going into the 4th. I'm not angry with any of it. It's all growing pains towards another BCS title and a Heisman for Dyer next year. We now know why Benton hasn't seen much playing time in his career. That's was one really bad game for him. Fraiser's picks were bad but he's got to learn to look off the safety sometime. I'd like to think that lesson has been learned because he throws a beautiful ball. He reminds me of Jason Campbell with that gorgeous spiral and arch.

The officials made some terrible calls in this game against both teams but naturally I only remember the ones against us. Benton's holding call was weak but the one against Lutz was shameful. He never came close to holding. Bates' unsportsmanlike penalty on the 94 yard run was because he was pointing out a hold while it was happening to a ref who chose to ignore it. Bates and the ref were running side by side and you could see Dates pointing at the hold when he lightly brushed against the ref. Technically you can't touch the ref but I'd like to think it would take more than shirtsleeves faintly caressing each other to warrant a flag for it. The roughing the passer call on Thorpe is the type of call that would get me banned from coaching. That being said officiating did not cost us this game.

Very fair assessment.

I can't for the life of me understand what benefit the offense receives with Trotter being in the game? If the coaches have such almost no trust in him passing, and it looks to me to be the case, why even have him in the game. It's past time to make a change.

Making a QB change would be the WORST thing to do right now, just trust in the coaches. The other thing I'm surprised none of you brought up was the fact this is our second straight road game, that's tough on a young team. Lucky for us, Florida comes stumbling into town next week.

The defense looked improved and the loss of Reed and Blake really showed.

I just don't see where people are saying the defense did that good...In the first half the offense did whatever they wanted to do. In the second half i feel that Bobby Petrino just let off the gas...Compare his play calling from the first half to the second half...

Has Clint Mosely committed some unpardonable sin? Why has he not even sniffed the field since game 1?

:cheer:

I agree why does Moseley not play. Honestly no offense but Trotter is not that good.

If Auburn does not get some level of balance they will not even score on Alabama sadly. You simply cannot win without a passing attack. What you watched yesterday was 1980's Pat Dye football.

Looks like Blake being out rely held our passing at bay. Trotter never looked confident passing to his receivers.

D and O seemed to have flipped their play.

Hard for a QB to look confident when the passes he delivers hit the receiver's hands exactly where the ball should be caught, and it ends up bouncing away, into the arms of a defender who CAN catch, or harmlessly onto the turf.

I am tired about hearing that we need to switch quarterbacks and that Trotter is no good. Last week it was all talk about how we just need to play Fraiser and when we did he throws interceptions. This week all the talk is about playing Mosley. I feel if we play Mosley, the same fate will occur. There is a reason the coaches are playing Trotter and that's because it gives us the best chance of winning. Like it or not, Trotter is our quarterback. I think the real problem here is that Gus needs to stop playing Fraiser and allow Trotter to just do his job and get in rhythm.

I just don't see where people are saying the defense did that good...In the first half the offense did whatever they wanted to do. In the second half i feel that Bobby Petrino just let off the gas...Compare his play calling from the first half to the second half...

Disagree.

While their O got in a rhythm in the 2nd quarter, the defense did well the other 3 quarters. Against a potent offense that has moved the ball against every team (yes, they did move the ball at times against bama), I'd say the defense did enough for us to win this game. We made them one dimensional (minus an end-around run for a TD).

Our rushing game is there, and improving.

Our defense is allowing us opportunities to win games, and continues to improve.

Our special teams is doing well (mostly field position related, which I'll take).

Only element that isn't getting better is passing game.

Not sure what the answer is. We all know not having Reed and Blake hurts, so that is obviously part of the problem. Watching Lutz have to run WR type routes was pretty sobering in that aspect. Still haven't understood the reason why Wisner gets so many snaps. Anyway, I have mixed feelings on the QB position. I feel like Frazier needs to be limited until he becomes more comfortable, i.e. see last 2 pass attempts down field. His vision just isn't there yet. And I'd suspect his ability to go through 2nd and 3rd options when the 1st isn't there would pose problems too. Do you yank Trotter and give Moseley a chance? I don't know. But I do trust the coaches decisions, b/c you know that this exact conversation took place last night among the coaches, and will continue to be discussed throughout the day today.

Just gonna have to be patient I guess.

In the meantime, I will continue to look forward to the 1st and 2nd year guys continue to improve.

War Eagle!

Defense appears to be getting better. Arky is probably the best offense we will play all year (though Clemson was also very good) and certainly has the best passing attack. Blake is the only big time receiver we have and it really hurt with him being out. The one that Trooper thought would break all the records couldn't catch a cold and now I see why he doesn't play very much. Stallworth looked good the first couple of games but has virtually disappeared; I wonder what happened to him. Trotter needs to take some heat off the throws when the recievers are open, especially on the short throws. Frazier is great running the ball and also makes the other backs better because the defense has to account for him, but he stares down his receivers and makes it very easy on the opposing DBs. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson last night.

All things considered, if you had told me when the season started that we would be 4-2 at this point with a good chance of getting out of the "murderers row" stretch with a split, I would have been thinking we had overachieved. Lets don't put too much emphasis on one game againist a good team on their home field. We went backwards on offense last night, but this is still a very young team with a lot of potential. We knew things were going to look pretty ugly at times this year, but a lot of good things have also happened. This is just the mid-point of the season and if we go 4-2 in the second half it would be a major accomplishment.

If Auburn does not get some level of balance they will not even score on Alabama sadly. You simply cannot win without a passing attack. What you watched yesterday was 1980's Pat Dye football.

??

Those teams won a bucket of games in the 80's, scored a lot of points and was a top defensive team every year. Don't understand the comparison.

??

Those teams won a bucket of games in the 80's, scored a lot of points and was a top defensive team every year. Don't understand the comparison.

Agreed. They won, a lot. 2-2 in Oct will be great.

For those who think Frazier isn't the answer because he threw two interceptions, consider that this true freshman probably (I don't know for a fact) gets 10% of the snaps in practice compared to a man who has been at Auburn for 4 years and in the CGM system for 3. Same goes for Clint who probably works the scout team primarily and doesn't see 2% of the snaps.

The coaches might be pulling their hair out because Trot does what they want in practice and it doesn't translate on the game field. Who knows?

One problem we've had was not putting Utah State and FAU away early so Clint and Frazier could get mop-up experience. Throwing a true freshman in games against top SEC talent is gonna be tough for a kid who has been on campus for 4 months opposed to 4 years. The fact that we see him at all shows that the coaches have more confidence in Frazier than some of the posters here do.

Frazier does convert some key downs while Trot's highlights appear to be throwing the ball into defender's helmets or taking a sack. And even if he (Trot) did make the throw, the receivers seem to struggle catching his passes.

I do know this from experience, if your team does not have a peer leader, they hear the coaches less and less. It is human nature. Peer pressure is real and having a strong leader on the field and sidelines, who won't accept loss or failure pushes a team. I thought that person might be Lutz but last night he didn't seem like he was there emotionally.

I am tired about hearing that we need to switch quarterbacks and that Trotter is no good. Last week it was all talk about how we just need to play Fraiser and when we did he throws interceptions. This week all the talk is about playing Mosley. I feel if we play Mosley, the same fate will occur. There is a reason the coaches are playing Trotter and that's because it gives us the best chance of winning. Like it or not, Trotter is our quarterback. I think the real problem here is that Gus needs to stop playing Fraiser and allow Trotter to just do his job and get in rhythm.

This goes against conventional logic and contrary to a prior post but hell with it this season is going to be tanked give Frazier the entire offensive package let him get experience and feet wet and come back next year.

??

Lets see Auburn beat Arkansas 65-43 last year beat Ole Miss 51-31. Pat Dye lost to LSU-7-6 and Beat Alabama 10-0. Notice he never beat Spurrier? What Im saying is post wishbone he played ball control and defense. That will not win championships today.

??

Lets see Auburn beat Arkansas 65-43 last year beat Ole Miss 51-31. Pat Dye lost to LSU-7-6 and Beat Alabama 10-0. Notice he never beat Spurrier? What Im saying is post wishbone he played ball control and defense. That will not win championships today.

What do you think lsu and bama are doing this year? Ball control and defense.

This goes against conventional logic and contrary to a prior post but hell with it this season is going to be tanked give Frazier the entire offensive package let him get experience and feet wet and come back next year.

I disagree here. We need to beat Florida more than ever this year. Auburn recruits heavily in Florida and we have to win the recruiting battle there this year. To win the recruiting battle, we must appear to recruits as the program most likely to be heading in the right direction. Starting Fraiser in the Florida game is basically handing over a win to them. In other words, starting Fraiser may cause more harm indirectly than a good experienced QB for the future.

Archived