Arky postgame thread

TitanTiger

Stallworth looked good the first couple of games but has virtually disappeared; I wonder what happened to him.

He has been open on crossing routes all season either Trotter doesnt see him and throws it in double coverage or Trotter holds the ball and declares he can out run a DE or LB...but Stallworth is open on crossing routes alot just nothing getting thrown his way.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am tired about hearing that we need to switch quarterbacks and that Trotter is no good. Last week it was all talk about how we just need to play Fraiser and when we did he throws interceptions. This week all the talk is about playing Mosley. I feel if we play Mosley, the same fate will occur. There is a reason the coaches are playing Trotter and that's because it gives us the best chance of winning. Like it or not, Trotter is our quarterback. I think the real problem here is that Gus needs to stop playing Fraiser and allow Trotter to just do his job and get in rhythm.

This goes against conventional logic and contrary to a prior post but hell with it this season is going to be tanked give Frazier the entire offensive package let him get experience and feet wet and come back next year.

Whose "conventional logic" -- yours? There is another term for your kind of shortsided, conventional logic ... it's called "throwing in the towel."

The coaching staff & team are trying to win as many games as they can this year. As a fan and an alumnus, I want them to win this year. It makes as much sense to play for next season now as it does to prepare for the UGA game this week when UF is the opponent.

Defense played well enough to win. We gave up 28 points before the offense handed the game to them. We shut them down in the 3rd quarter and most of the 2nd; had the one lapse on the 95 yard run. That is always hard to take; but had we played any level of SEC caliber offense, we still would have won this game.

Offense: we just need to run and run until someone actually stops us. No one, not even Clemson, has demonstrated the ability to stop our run. We are driving to cut the game to 7; controlling the ball and the clock with plenty of time left...all runs with Frazier and RB's. We get to the Arky 30 and decide to A) Run the damn ball again for another 5-7 yard gain or B) have an inexperienced Freshman QB throw to a group of receivers that couldn't get open and for some reason last night couldn't catch a cold? Your right, B...for the life of me, I cannot understand what goes on in the mind of "experts" of the game sometimes. We had a running QB in; with the best RB Trio in the SEC and we decide to pass when we had been eating up yards running the ball. I was convinced when we left Frazier in that drive that we had finally seen we 1) could not pass, 2) could not catch last night 3) and our best chance at winning and controlling the game relied on us just running the ball to win the game (sort of like we had done the prior week). Instead, we kill a drive that would have resulted in cutting the game to one score with plenty of time left. My 12 and 14 year old boys stood up and screamed "why is he passing" as that play started to develop. They are good boys and said a whole lot less than me after the INT. If they can see something that obvious, why can't a multi-million $$ coaching staff.

I do not blame last night on either the QB's or Receivers. As bad as we played, we could have still won that game with a better job from the coaching staff.

Receiving core is pretty weak without the top 2 guys...that is to be expected frankly...not many teams have more than 2 really outstanding receivers. And last night, even the normally sure handed McAleb and Lutzi dropped balls. Not sure what their issue was.

I just don't see where people are saying the defense did that good...In the first half the offense did whatever they wanted to do. In the second half i feel that Bobby Petrino just let off the gas...Compare his play calling from the first half to the second half...

Then you didn't pay attention. He didn't let off the gas. He was chucking bombs with his first string QB late in the 4th up 38-14. Arky tried to do the same things they did the first half, but coverage was better and pressure was better. We also stopped the run better. If you take away the 92-yard TD (that should have been called back on a hold), they only had about 58 yards of total offense the second half.

In the first half, Arkansas ran 17 running plays and 27 passing plays. In the second half, they ran 13 runs and 13 passes. The main thing you notice there is that they ran 18 fewer plays in the second half because they were getting a lot fewer first downs and keeping drives alive. The second thing is that we kept driving the ball into Arkansas territory and either a penalty would kill it or an INT. The game wasn't salted away until almost midway through the 4th quarter. He didn't let off the gas, the defense adjusted and adjusted well.

I just don't see where people are saying the defense did that good...In the first half the offense did whatever they wanted to do. In the second half i feel that Bobby Petrino just let off the gas...Compare his play calling from the first half to the second half...

Then you didn't pay attention. He didn't let off the gas. He was chucking bombs with his first string QB late in the 4th up 38-14. Arky tried to do the same things they did the first half, but coverage was better and pressure was better. We also stopped the run better. If you take away the 92-yard TD (that should have been called back on a hold), they only had about 58 yards of total offense the second half.

In the first half, Arkansas ran 17 running plays and 27 passing plays. In the second half, they ran 13 runs and 13 passes. The main thing you notice there is that they ran 18 fewer plays in the second half because they were getting a lot fewer first downs and keeping drives alive. The second thing is that we kept driving the ball into Arkansas territory and either a penalty would kill it or an INT. The game wasn't salted away until almost midway through the 4th quarter. He didn't let off the gas, the defense adjusted and adjusted well.

Completely agree. D played well enough for the win..

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree...I think we held them pretty much in check the first half on rushing, but they were hitting all their passes..The QB just got in a rhythm. But compare Petrino's play calling to the second half and it was a whole lot different plus their backs and WR's were dropping a few too in the second half.. Anyway, we have a long way to go.. Arkansas is a great offensive team and I don't think it's fair to judge the defense on this game anyway. I do think we have a long way to go on offense. But we are young. I would like to see Frasier more and Trotter less..

Looking at the stats, Auburn played pretty well against Arkansas- it was the lack of passing defense that hurt us the most, plus the fact that Arkansas has an excellent quarterback. Other teams will exploit the weakness of our secondary if it's not addressed. Our defense can stop the run now (usually), but when a team completes 17 passes in a row, that should tell you something. You can't have a good defense unless you have a good secondary. My 2 cents observation: in the last two games, AU has on 3rd and 2 called a long pass play, which failed BOTH times. PLEASE STOP IT!!! The quarterback position is a quandary- Spurrier got results when he benched Garcia and let Shaw take over. Maybe it's time for Chizik to do the same?

Defense played well enough to win. We gave up 28 points before the offense handed the game to them. We shut them down in the 3rd quarter and most of the 2nd; had the one lapse on the 95 yard run. That is always hard to take; but had we played any level of SEC caliber offense, we still would have won this game.

Offense: we just need to run and run until someone actually stops us. No one, not even Clemson, has demonstrated the ability to stop our run. We are driving to cut the game to 7; controlling the ball and the clock with plenty of time left...all runs with Frazier and RB's. We get to the Arky 30 and decide to A) Run the damn ball again for another 5-7 yard gain or B) have an inexperienced Freshman QB throw to a group of receivers that couldn't get open and for some reason last night couldn't catch a cold? Your right, B...for the life of me, I cannot understand what goes on in the mind of "experts" of the game sometimes. We had a running QB in; with the best RB Trio in the SEC and we decide to pass when we had been eating up yards running the ball. I was convinced when we left Frazier in that drive that we had finally seen we 1) could not pass, 2) could not catch last night 3) and our best chance at winning and controlling the game relied on us just running the ball to win the game (sort of like we had done the prior week). Instead, we kill a drive that would have resulted in cutting the game to one score with plenty of time left. My 12 and 14 year old boys stood up and screamed "why is he passing" as that play started to develop. They are good boys and said a whole lot less than me after the INT. If they can see something that obvious, why can't a multi-million $ coaching staff.

I do not blame last night on either the QB's or Receivers. As bad as we played, we could have still won that game with a better job from the coaching staff.

Receiving core is pretty weak without the top 2 guys...that is to be expected frankly...not many teams have more than 2 really outstanding receivers. And last night, even the normally sure handed McAleb and Lutzi dropped balls. Not sure what their issue was.

Do what? The coaching staff can't catch the ball for the WR or throw it for the QB. The AU offense on Saturday had ZERO ability to throw the ball down field, blame it on WRs and QBs. In the 2nd half Arky stacked the box, especially when BT was in, b/c of no threat of him running, they keyed on Dyer/OMac (which is spelled McCalebb, btw). Frazier added a dimension to the run game, but still provided no vertical passing threat for the offense. You absolutely cannot be one dimensional. At some point that is not going to be effective, either a run gets stuffed OR a penalty, put the offense into 2nd or 3rd and 8-10yards.

CGM has been limited in his playcalling b/c of the poor QB & WR play in the passing game, well at least in this game, anyway. I don't know if that will improve with Blake back or not? I also think that Chizik has directed CGM to try to be a little more time consuming on O in an effort to give the D a little more advantage. This offense and most have to be balanced, w/o even a little bit of a passing threat, we are doomed b/c the inexperience on the OL eventually shows up also in that a missed assignment results in TFL and that 2nd/3rd and long.

What else did/do you expect the coaches to do in the middle of a game??

Archived