Go Greek or Go Home?

mk5

I really love Auburn! I'm not really interested in going Greek though, so I was wondering if you can still have a decent social life-make a lot of good friends, find good parties to go to, etc-without going Greek?

Yes you can. I have a great network of friends, some friends from high school mixed in with some new friends I met at church down here, and I stay as far away from the Greek scene as I can. Also, there's tons of clubs and academic groups you can join to meet people with similar interests. Lots of good opportunities to make good friends.

Can't tell you much about the party scene, but as far as I've seen many non-Greek people have an active social life in terms of going to parties and whatnot. That just isn't me and my friends' cup of tea =)

At Auburn, the minority of students(population wise) is Greek. Auburn is not Alabama where you have to be Greek. You will still be able to have an active social life no matter which you choose. If you are a female, non of this matters because girls are welcomed anywhere in Auburn, lol.

I was Greek at Auburn and went to parties that were Greek and Non-Greek all the time and they were basically the same except for the Band Parties of course. I would advise anyone(even if you think you dont want to go Greek) to go through rush anyway just to see what it is about. Every fraternity/sorority is different, some play to the stereotypes, some kinda do, some don't at all. Plus going through rush you will meet other students and is a good way to expand your social circle.

• 2 months later...

I was connected in to the Auburn Christian Student Center and we had a BLAST!!! We had parties and road trips! So, yes, you can have a great AU experience w/o being involved in Greek life.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with dyehardaufan above. Disclaimer...I was in a fraternity and am still actively involved with the Board and alumni group many years after graduating.

Even if you don't think fraternities are for you, I'd still go through rush and check some out. If you don't think the stereotypical fraternity experience is for you, then focus more on the smaller fraternities and you might see a little different culture than you expect. Regardless, Auburn is still a very easy place to meet people and have a great social experience without being Greek.

Absolutely. Do what's right for you.

This!

One of the MANY great things about Auburn is that you don't have to go Greek. Even my ex-wife, who was a big Bammer, always said she would prefer our kids go to Auburn and that was one of the reasons.

I really love Auburn! I'm not really interested in going Greek though, so I was wondering if you can still have a decent social life-make a lot of good friends, find good parties to go to, etc-without going Greek?

The majority of students at Auburn are not Greek. You will make many friends, have a good social life, go to parties if you choose to, or hang out with a few buds if you choose to. No pressure. If you go through rush anyway as suggested, you might feel pressure to join even if the pressure is coming from inside yourself. I hope that you attend Auburn and have a wonderful experience and get a great education like we all did. War Eagle!

Archived