In other news, Nell Fortner's team

Mikey

Nell's team just helped the Temple Owls break their five game losing streak. Leaving nothing to chance, the Tigers lost by 16 points, 73-57.

It looks like this will be the seventh disappointing year in Nell's eight year term. Actually the eighth disappointment, as her 28-2, #1 seeded team didn't even make it into the NCAA round of 8 and lost in the SEC tournament as well.

As long as very few of us care about a team, the women's basketball team, that was once a source of Auburn pride, nothing will change.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think she's on the hot seat from what I'm hearing. I love the lady as a person, but she isn't getting it done.

I think she's on the hot seat from what I'm hearing. I love the lady as a person, but she isn't getting it done.

Considering the lack of fan support and interest she has done a good job. But you really thought she was building something when they filled the building and beat the crap out of UT and won the SEC.

I like Nell alot but maybe she is. I have always thought she is a good coach. But she has not done much lately.

I like Nell too but the program is just average and has been and could be so much more. Schools across the country are seeing that womens bball can be a money generator and they have stepped it up in terms of finding good coaches.

The Auburn Tigers played in the final TWO three straight years. Yes, it's been a long time now but tradition dies very slowly. I don't recall Fortner signing a single player that had legitimate offers from Tennessee, Georgia or any of the top ACC schools. Those are the players you have to get to win big.

She brings in nice kids that don't get in trouble and do well in class. With the exception of Whit Boddie and possibly Bonner, Nell has signed very few if any players that are tough enough to compete and win in the SEC.

The Auburn Tigers played in the final TWO three straight years. Yes, it's been a long time now but tradition dies very slowly. I don't recall Fortner signing a single player that had legitimate offers from Tennessee, Georgia or any of the top ACC schools. Those are the players you have to get to win big.

She brings in nice kids that don't get in trouble and do well in class. With the exception of Whit Boddie and possibly Bonner, Nell has signed very few if any players that are tough enough to compete and win in the SEC.

Auburn played in the national championship game three straight years. I agree with everything else.

Auburn played in the national championship game three straight years. I agree with everything else.

Think about it: The final TWO is the national championship game.

Think about it: The final TWO is the national championship game.

Yea misread your post your right.

We are years away from that.

Man, those were the good ol' days...the Bolton sisters, Vickie Orr, Carolyn Jones...for a few years there, we had good men's AND women's hoops.

That team a couple of years ago should have gone much further than it did...it's looking more like a one-year aberration at this point.

The women beat South Florida tonight 62-45. A 15-0 run early in the 2nd half was the difference. We had somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 turnovers, but we did get a win over a Big East school.

Lost to Purdue at home today, 62-54. You can look at the murals on the walls in the arena and see pictures of our record 68 game home winning streak. I'm thinking we won't see anything like that in our women's basketball program until some major improvements are made. :angry:

Pretty sure we're watching her swan song.

First of all, welcome!

Now, I had really high hopes when Nell was hired. That continued right up until the '07-08 season, which I thought was a big disappointment. The early exit in the SEC tournament and the subsequent one win, then 28-point loss by the top-seeded Tigers in the NCAA tournament to end the 08-09 season confirmed what I'd been coming to fear: When we run into a well coached team, such as Vivian Stringer (Rutgers)or Melanie Balkom (Vandy) puts on the floor, we're a gone goose regardless of how much of a talent advantage we have.

Speaking of talent, Nell lucked into two of the better players in Auburn history. Bonner wasn't highly recruited because people thought she was too skinny and Whitney Boddie had to work summers and didn't play AAU basketball so she was under the radar. Those two could have played on any past Auburn team.

However, to my knowledge (and I try to pay attention) Nell has never signed a player that had a legitimate offer from Tennessee, Georgia, LSU or any of the ACC schools that take women's BB seriously. We can't beat those people if we cant get at least some players they want.

All in all, Nell runs a clean program, her team has a good image and the kids don't get in trouble. If that's enough for some, then Nell Fortner is fine at Auburn. Those of us that have witnessed big-time winning at Auburn and want to see more feel like we need a change.

PS: Our most recent loss, to the Marist Red Foxes, is a perfect example of an extremely well-coached team with lesser talent whipping our Tigers. I'm tired of it.

Mikey, those of us who got to see Joe Ciampi, really know how hard we have fallen with our women. I support CNF fully and will continue to. But losing to Marist, struggling against Central Connecticut State, and finishing in the bottom of the S.E.C. is not what some of us are accustomed to.

Florida International 64, Auburn 55.

Quoting Nell Fortner: ""Overall, I did not think we played bad, but we have to have our shooters connecting," said Fortner. "When that is not happening, it effects some other things we do and puts us in a bad position."

C'mon, Nell. Your team just lost to FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL by 9 points and you don't think they played bad? Nell, you are coaching an SEC team. You have 10 times the resources and talent and about 50 times the history and tradition that FIU has, and you're not too upset about losing to them?

What's the plan when Tennessee comes into our arena Sunday, hope to hold them down so they only beat us by 40 points or so?

I've been sick of the way our women's program has been heading for three years now. I just hope some other people get on the stick and care enough to get a change done.

• 2 weeks later...

We got sliced and diced by Georgia today, 70-45. That's a 25 point loss on our home court. Next it's off to Vandy in Nashville to meet another team with a good coach. It seems Nell's teams can beat the also rans at times, but let her run into the likes of Georgia's Andy Landers, Melanie Balcom at Vandy and so forth and we're out of it before we get started. I'll never forget the beatdown we took from Vivian Stringer's so-so Rutgers team when we had the most talented team Nell ever has and ever will put on the floor for Auburn.

The only people that don't realize the need for a change are those that don't care if this program wins or not.

We got sliced and diced by Georgia today, 70-45. That's a 25 point loss on our home court. Next it's off to Vandy in Nashville to meet another team with a good coach. It seems Nell's teams can beat the also rans at times, but let her run into the likes of Georgia's Andy Landers, Melanie Balcom at Vandy and so forth and we're out of it before we get started. I'll never forget the beatdown we took from Vivian Stringer's so-so Rutgers team when we had the most talented team Nell ever has and ever will put on the floor for Auburn.

The only people that don't realize the need for a change are those that don't care if this program wins or not.

Mikey you know your stuff. I am guessing we get rolled in Nashville just like our men's team does every trip.

Nell Fortner's Auburn team lost to Vandy for the 18th straight time last night. The score was 66-58. Auburn went on a 13-1 run in the last 90 seconds to close the gap from the previous 20 point margin. Discouraging.

Tick, Tock.....love the lady as a person, but it's time to look at someone else to run the show. There's some good young talent on that bench and we need someone to get them in a better position.

Today produced a 59-39 loss at Arkansas, a team that had previously been winless in the SEC. Thanks to Auburn they are now 1-4. Our offense resembled a Chinese fire drill. Tyreese Tanner scored 22 points, the rest of the team TOTALED 17.

Props to the Arkansas coach for pulling his starters with about 5 minutes left, but I sure do hate accepting mercy from opposing teams like Arky.

Who do we go after once the season is over???

Maybe this time someone will listen to Joe Champi. Joe gave a name before but the PTB decided that woman was "too tough". So we got a real nice person instead.

Archived