In other news, Nell Fortner's team

Mikey

Who do we go after once the season is over???

Maybe this time someone will listen to Joe Champi. Joe gave a name before but the PTB decided that woman was "too tough". So we got a real nice person instead.

Who was that?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do we go after once the season is over???

Maybe this time someone will listen to Joe Champi. Joe gave a name before but the PTB decided that woman was "too tough". So we got a real nice person instead.

Who was that?

Former AU assistant Joanie O,Brien, who I believe is the only women's coach to ever have a winning career record at U-Mass. I don't necessarily think she's the right one for now, don't even know what she's doing these days. She left the U-mass team after the '01-'02 season. Still, Joe Champi would have a good idea of where to start. It's hard to look at a successful women's program anywhere in the country that doesn't have one or more of his former assistants or players associated with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see an assistant from either UConn, Baylor, Stanford, or Tennessee.

Joan P. McCauley at Duke is a very successful head coach and was an Auburn assistant for several years. (She had a different last name then)She could probably recommend a good up and comer for Auburn.

Joan P. McCauley at Duke is a very successful head coach and was an Auburn assistant for several years. (She had a different last name then)She could probably recommend a good up and comer for Auburn.

That, or maybe we roll out a few $$ and get her back on the Plains???

That, or maybe we roll out a few $$ and get her back on the Plains???

Nothing's impossible, but it's a little hard for me to imagine Auburn getting a basketball coach away from Duke. $ aside, she's competing for national titles where she is and can bring in elite recruits with little effort. Hard to imagine somebody leaving that.

Ho, hum, another game, another loss. Last night's 70-56 loss to Florida looked like more of the same ol' same ol'. Nell's post-game comment was "They played very good defense." Nell, it's the SEC, they all play good defense.

The team is now 11-14 overall, 3-9 SEC. They are going to have to pick it up to reach the .500 overall, .333 winning percentages that I predicted pre-season.

This is discouraging. I've heard Nell in off season interviews, and she sounds great. Smart, well spoken, friendly... Maybe she just has a really nice 'off court' persona, but it sure doesn't seem to be translating w/ the team.

She seems like good people. :gofig:

This is discouraging. I've heard Nell in off season interviews, and she sounds great. Smart, well spoken, friendly... Maybe she just has a really nice 'off court' persona, but it sure doesn't seem to be translating w/ the team.

She seems like good people. :gofig:

As JJ said in a recent interview: "Nell is a great ambassador for Auburn". And she is. Her kids don't get in trouble, they do good things around campus and town and they graduate. But they don't win.

If doing the above and finishing 15-15 every year, 6-12 in the SEC is good enough then Nell is your coach. If you'd like a coach that recruits players other SEC teams want and wins more than she loses, you have to want a change. Sad but true.

Mikey,

I like your passion but perhaps some of your facts are off just a bit. If you will do some research you will find that O'Brien and U-Mass were sued for around $45 million for abuse of players. I'm not sure how the lawsuit turned out in the end but needless to say, the PTB were not going to hire her. Also, you seem to think that none of the current Lady Tigers were recruited by other SEC or ACC teams. This is blantantly untrue.

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey…….

Hasina Muhammad (2011 G) – TOP 100 – considered Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss and Memphis - signed with AU and playing

Chadarryl Clay (2012 PG) – position rank #12 – TOP 100 - considered UAB, Ole Miss, Wake Forrest and Clemson - signed with AU

Nariah Taylor (2012 P) – position rank #15 – considered Florida and Georgia Tech - signed with AU

Cabriana Capers (2012 F) – position rank #34 – considered AU - signed with AU

TraCee Tanner (2012 F) – considered UAB, Arkansas, Florida and Texas - signed with AU

Jacey Scott (2013 G) – TOP 100 – position rank #44 – always committed to AU as was Alli Smalley

Diamond DeShields (2013 W) – TOP 100 – considering all SEC schools and then some but we are on the list

Kristina Nelson (2013 P) – TOP 60 - considering all SEC schools and then some but we are on the list

Peyton Whitted (2013 W) – TOP 60 - considering all SEC schools and then some but we are on the list

We are getting top talent. I believe that DeWanna was recruited by other schools including Tennessee - it's difficult get back to those stats. And our now sophomores, I believe, were a top 25 class.....what none of us know and who coaches what during practice. Based on the talent that has started to come in it appears that Coach McGhee is an outstanding recruiter.

And who could predict the good players who have left (for a number of reasons) - Cassie Moore, Ruth Ketchum, Milaika Pickard, Nicolle Thomas and Morgan Jennings - none of us know what would have happened should they have stayed.

It's time to get over Champi - he's moved on and so should you. Joanie O'Brien came back after she was let go at UMASS - "Allegations started filtering through the press about O'Brien's coaching style last season. The Boston Globe reported last fall the three players were unhappy with the coaching situation at UMass. In the lawsuit, the players claimed O'Brien slapped players and hit them with a closed fist during practice, leaving marks and bruises, and verbally abused them, especially when they were injured." - that's what we need here isn't it?

Please provide more details rather than making obscure inuendos........

Mikey,

I like your passion but perhaps some of your facts are off just a bit. If you will do some research you will find that O'Brien and U-Mass were sued for around $45 million for abuse of players. I'm not sure how the lawsuit turned out in the end but needless to say, the PTB were not going to hire her. Also, you seem to think that none of the current Lady Tigers were recruited by other SEC or ACC teams. This is blantantly untrue.

Whether O'Brien and U-Mass were sued or not has nothing to do with the fact that Joe Champi recommended her for the Auburn job.

Now, as to Nell's recruiting: It's easy to post a list of "also considered" schools next to a player's name. Which players had a committable offer to what I said, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU or any of the ACC schools that take women's BB seriously? I can't name one. The closest was Allie Smalley, who was offered the opportunity to walk on at Tennessee. Walk on, but no scholarship, offer.

Everybody thought Bonner was too skinny, her choices were AU or UAB. Whit Boddie had to work summers and didn't play AAU ball so she was under the radar. Those were two of the best to ever play at their positions at AU, but we got little out of them as far as tournament advancment and when they were gone, not a player of equal quality had been recruited to replace them.

This team, Nell's eighth, is now 3-10 in SEC play and cannot reach the .500 mark. In her eight years, Nell has had exactly ONE season when the team was over .500 in SEC play. I don't think there's another sport at AU where the coach could put that record out there and keep his/her job.

In addition, this year at least, watching her team is akin to sticking needles in one's eyeballs. 10 minutes in the second half without a basket? *shudder*

Maybe there's a place for Nell in Alumni Relations or some such, but we need a new women's basketball coach.

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey…….

Hasina Muhammad (2011 G) – TOP 100 – considered Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss and Memphis

Chadarryl Clay (2012 PG) – position rank #12 – TOP 100 - considered UAB, Ole Miss, Wake Forrest and Clemson.

Nariah Taylor (2012 P) – position rank #15 – considered Florida and Georgia Tech

Cabriana Capers (2012 F) – position rank #34 – considered AU

TraCee Tanner (2012 F) – considered UAB, Arkansas, Florida and Texas

Jacey Scott (2013 G) – TOP 100 – position rank #44 – always committed to AU

Diamond DeShields (2013 W) – TOP 100 – considering all SEC schools and then some but we are on the list

Kristina Nelson (2013 P) – TOP 60 - considering all SEC schools and then some but we are on the list

Peyton Whitted (2013 W) – TOP 60 - considering all SEC schools and then some but we are on the list

You have listed nine players there. One, Muhammad, is on the team and does show potential though she seems very raw at this point.

Four others aren't on campus yet, and the remaining four are just names that Auburn and a bunch of other schools are recruiting.

After eight years, Nell should have top talent on the court, not on a wish-list.

I'd be interested to know how either of you actually KNOW who made offers to any of these players....please tell us. The point is we are and have been recruiting top players the past three years.

Even taking the large leap that you are correct, what happened to the first five years?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can get a very accurate idea about scholarship offers by closely reading the signing announcement. "Was also recruited by" or "also considered schools x, y and z" usually means there was no actual offer of a scholarship. "Also received offers from" normally means there was an opportunity for the player to sign a scholarship with that school.

Addressing the last three years, Auburn and every other major school tries to recruit great athletes. Getting them to sign with your school is another matter.

It looks to me like Muhammed has a chance to be a legitimate SEC level player if she develops some. She's not there now. The four signees, who knows? When we get them on the team is when you can tell.

The four you listed as being recruited, well, Coach Chizik was still "recruiting" 12 players on signing day morning. Two signed with Auburn. You can't count our coaches trying to get a kid to sign with AU as an accomplishment. The accomplishment comes if or when they sign with Auburn.

The last few years that we can tell anything about, those players are currently 11-15 overall, 3-10 in the SEC. They have yet to win half their conference games in any season they've been here.

As I said here three years ago: Nell runs a clean program, her kids don't get in trouble and they present a positive image. If that's good enough for some (and I fear that it is, ala "just shut up girls and don't make any waves and all is good") then that's sad. If we want a winning program, changes must be made.

warladytigers, how many more years would you like to give the current coaching staff? Two, three, five? Never having a contending team is ok as long as nobody makes waves? I'm curious about how much more time you would give Coach Nell to right the ship?

Mikey,

The answer to your question "Even taking the large leap that you are correct, what happened to the first five years?" would be the first regular season SEC CHAMPIONSHIP in 20 years in 2009. Oh, I forgot, you said that year was a disappointment too.

You are obviously on a one-man campaign to have our head coach fired. You certainly have the right to say anything you wish but I respectfully ask you to not post information which is untrue and not substantiated. You are posting information about the recruiting of our Lady Tigers of which you are not privy to. What you are posting is simply what you "think" and not what you know.

I can tell you without question that the statements you are making that our current players were not recruited by other SEC or ACC teams is a LIE. If you don't believe me, why don't you go ask a player, say Jassany Williams, which teams offered her a scholarship last year? Otherwise, if you are so down on the team, then stop supporting them and stop going to the games. What you are doing on this board is hurtful to the girls and to the Auburn family.

Quote: "The answer to your question "Even taking the large leap that you are correct, what happened to the first five years?" would be the first regular season SEC CHAMPIONSHIP in 20 years in 2009. Oh, I forgot, you said that year was a disappointment too."

So, you think having the top seed in the SEC tournament in 2009 and getting eliminated in the second round, and then having that same team, again a top seed get eliminated in the NCAA second round wasn't a disappointment? I repeat, under Nell Fortner's coaching, our AU Tigers women's basketball team has had one, that's ONE winning SEC season in eight years. That's horrible.

By your own statement the situation with our Women's team is "hurtful" to discuss. When a situation is unpleasant or improper to discuss in public something is not right and it's time for a change.

Now, I said Nell has not recruited a single player that had a scholarship offer to Tennessee, Georgia, LSU or any of the ACC teams that take women's BB seriously. Since you are on personal speaking terms with our players, please copy and paste their written scholarship offers to any of the teams I mentioned.

Alternatively, if you believe our recruiting has been just great, please explain why we are 3-10 in league play this year. According to you the court and bench should be loaded with SEC quality players, so what's the problem?

PS: I have followed and loved this team since before Coach Champi came to Auburn. Now it's been headed downhill and if it takes some people pointing out obvious flaws to effect a change, I'll do it. There are too many that don't want to rock the boat, nevermind that the boat is sinking.

How many more years would you give this coaching staff, and what makes you think they will do better in the future than they did for the past eight years?

I am guessing some of your comments are directed to 1716...however, let's consider this...excluding the current year CNF has 7 seasons - and we'll compare CJC's last 7 years to her first seven.....Fortner overall 132 and 89, 48/54 in conference.....Ciampi overall 136/73, 43/55 in conference - don't see much of a difference....except he left the cupboard pretty bare after 25 years of building the program. Yes, they won the NIT, I'll give you that - he had Le'Coe - when she left there wasn't much left. If this were his first seven years - how long would you give him?

Even IF I was on personal terms with the team (and I am not) it would be a privacy violation to tell you what I knew - you are the one who originally indicated some knowledge of what offers our ladies received - I simply asked you to provide specific info so don't put that back on me. IF you know who we are recruiting beyond 2013 and will make offers to please enlighten us.

I really don't care how long you have followed the team, I've got friends who played here before him - try getting your info and stats correct. I could go through many records nationwide and make wide ranging generalizations about alot of teams - the SEC and ACC aren't the only conferences - schools are recruiting worldwide. Again I ask you - please back up your claims about recruiting........I'd be interested to know.

I made it plain that I get my recruiting info from closely following the team and reading signee announcements in the various media. You are free to do the same.

Here's a little something for you, from Auburn beat writer Jay G. Tate's blog:

Question: Once upon a time AU women's hoops was one of the top programs in the nation. What must be done to get there again? Is it even possible?

JAY G. SAYS: I don't think Nell Fortner can get Auburn back into SEC/NCAA contention. I'm not sure why. I like Nell. I think she's a fine assessor of talent, but she hasn't been able to maximize that talent. I don't watch them as much as I did a few years ago. Observers tell me the team doesn't play intelligently. It's lacking in terms of strategy. I trust that information and it's consistent with what I felt was Nell's biggest pitfall when Auburn was really good. I think it's time for a change. There's no reason Auburn women's basketball should be this mediocre.

Here's the link: http://madvertiserblogs.com/habotnforum/index.php?topic=4823.15 And no, I wasn't the one that asked the question. PS: The question and answer are #21 in the thread.

While we're on the Montgomery Advertiser pages, here's a link to a thread on the same subject there. I didn't start the thread, though I am participating in it. http://madvertiserblogs.com/habotnforum/index.php?topic=4704.0

I also almost never call in to talk shows but I listen to the Auburn based SportsCall. There are a number of callers, people other than me, calling in to SportsCall asking what's wrong and more or less demanding a change.

To answer your question, had Coach Champi's first seven years had the same record as Coach Fortner's first seven, he'd have been fired. By your own posting, his last seven were similar and he was gone, why should Nell get to stay?

You are so WRONG about Bonner - DeWanna has committed to Auburn,”Arnika Clements, head coach at Fairfield High School, told Inside the Auburn Tigers. Bonner, who was recruited by a large number of colleges, picked Auburn over the Georgia Bulldogs - My link

He's gone because he elected to retire........and I doubt if he would have been fired after bad years, just didn't happen in those days, especially in the "good ole boy" network.......and who is Jay G that he is an expert?

And here's info about Whit - Boddie says that she chose Auburn over Mississippi State and Alabama, but says the Tigers have been her strong leader since attending summer camp at AU and getting to work with the new coaching staff. “Coach (Nell) Fortner is awesome and I love the staff. I love her especially. She is a great lady. You can tell she wants to win and that is how I am. I don’t like to lose. It is just a great atmosphere. The coaches there have jelled together. You can tell they have that bond and it makes it great for players...."

Mikey,

The answer to your question "Even taking the large leap that you are correct, what happened to the first five years?" would be the first regular season SEC CHAMPIONSHIP in 20 years in 2009. Oh, I forgot, you said that year was a disappointment too.

You are obviously on a one-man campaign to have our head coach fired. You certainly have the right to say anything you wish but I respectfully ask you to not post information which is untrue and not substantiated. You are posting information about the recruiting of our Lady Tigers of which you are not privy to. What you are posting is simply what you "think" and not what you know.

I can tell you without question that the statements you are making that our current players were not recruited by other SEC or ACC teams is a LIE. If you don't believe me, why don't you go ask a player, say Jassany Williams, which teams offered her a scholarship last year? Otherwise, if you are so down on the team, then stop supporting them and stop going to the games. What you are doing on this board is hurtful to the girls and to the Auburn family.

It may be time some of them had their feelings hurt.

Archived