In other news, Nell Fortner's team

Mikey

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it because I really like Nell. She seems like a great lady. I don't know what happened that didn't allow us to continue on the great trajectory she had us on after '08 and '09. But the results are what they are and I know she feels like the job wasn't getting done too.

I wish her well in the future, wherever she lands.

Fortner: "I want you to know first and foremost that today is my decision, period."

Fortner: "I'm just ready to do something else. That's the bottom line."

Jacobs opens by thanking Fortner, calls it a selfless decision to resign, because Auburn has the best opportunity to move forward.

Fortner: "Players are going to get emotional, so it was emotional in there, but they're resilient, too."

Fortner: "When you've coached for 28 years, it's not something that happens overnight. ... You just know when it's time."

Fortner on what's next: "I don't know. I"m going to go down to Florida, jump on my paddleboard and swim around with the dolphins."

Then Fortner says she plans to move on to something else.

Jacobs: "Nell doesn't beat around the bush very much. She walked in, before I could offer something to drink, she said, I think I'm done."

Fortner: "I don't have any regrets at all."

@wareagleextra

I had very high hopes for our program when Nell Fortner was hired, I thought she was a great hire. Why the results on the court never met reasonable expectations I don't know, but they didn't. Even the great run in '09 ended with our #2 seed Tigers getting blown out by 28 points to a #7 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Anyway, that's done now and best of luck to Nell in whatever she does next. I think she tried her best to get it done and things simply didn't happen for her.

As for a replacement, in my dreams we'd get former Auburn assistant Joanne P. McCallie. She was here through Coach Champi's great run from '88 through '92, has been the head coach at Michigan State and is currently the HC at Duke. I know, I know, but a guy can dream, right? If you want to see a well coached team, watch the Duke women the next time you get a chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_P._McCallie

Beyond that, I'll leave the selection up to JJ, he's done very well so far.

I had very high hopes for our program when Nell Fortner was hired, I thought she was a great hire. Why the results on the court never met reasonable expectations I don't know, but they didn't. Even the great run in '09 ended with our #2 seed Tigers getting blown out by 28 points to a #7 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Anyway, that's done now and best of luck to Nell in whatever she does next. I think she tried her best to get it done and things simply didn't happen for her.

As for a replacement, in my dreams we'd get former Auburn assistant Joanne P. McCallie. She was here through Coach Champi's great run from '88 through '92, has been the head coach at Michigan State and is currently the HC at Duke. I know, I know, but a guy can dream, right? If you want to see a well coached team, watch the Duke women the next time you get a chance.

I felt the same way, Mikey. I was very excited when she was hired and thought she would take us back to the elite in women's basketball. Heck, I thought through her name recognition alone we were headed for bigger and better things. I wish her the greatest success in whatever she does. Do you think McCallie has the type of personality that she'd view us as a challenge, or do you think she'd be more inclined to hang onto what she's got going at Duke? I wonder, too, if we would be willing to make the financial investment it would take to bring in a big name coach?

I hate it because I really like Nell. She seems like a great lady. I don't know what happened that didn't allow us to continue on the great trajectory she had us on after '08 and '09. But the results are what they are and I know she feels like the job wasn't getting done too.

I wish her well in the future, wherever she lands.

I think Nell will be in town for years to come, but coaching basketball may not be on the table for a couple of years. I think she's spent for now.

I felt the same way, Mikey. I was very excited when she was hired and thought she would take us back to the elite in women's basketball. Heck, I thought through her name recognition alone we were headed for bigger and better things. I wish her the greatest success in whatever she does. Do you think McCallie has the type of personality that she'd view us as a challenge, or do you think she'd be more inclined to hang onto what she's got going at Duke? I wonder, too, if we would be willing to make the financial investment it would take to bring in a big name coach?

MCCallie coming here is a pipe dream of mine, so I posted it. In reality, I don't think that at this point in time any basketball coach that is successful at Duke would leave there to coach at Auburn. Professionally, the move doesn't make any sense.

The ladies got a big win over UAT last night, 81-40. A win over a bammer team is always great, but a big blowout is even sweeter!

The record now stands at 12-16 overall, 4-12 SEC and last night's win guarantees that Auburn won't finish in the SEC's cellar this year. Bammer and Ol' Miss get to fight it out for that distinction.

The final home game for a Tiger team coached by Nell Fortner will be at 2:30 Sunday afternoon. Successful or otherwise, Nell gave it her best shot and put her heart and soul into the Auburn program. It would be a good thing if a bunch of Auburn folks came out and cheered one last time. See ya' there!

The ladies got a big win over UAT last night, 81-40. A win over a bammer team is always great, but a big blowout is even sweeter!

The record now stands at 12-16 overall, 4-12 SEC and last night's win guarantees that Auburn won't finish in the SEC's cellar this year. Bammer and Ol' Miss get to fight it out for that distinction.

The final home game for a Tiger team coached by Nell Fortner will be at 2:30 Sunday afternoon. Successful or otherwise, Nell gave it her best shot and put her heart and soul into the Auburn program. It would be a good thing if a bunch of Auburn folks came out and cheered one last time. See ya' there!

100% agree.

I'm in Denver and won't be back to B'ham till 11 pm so I can't attend.

Whoever attends scream a little louder for me and Daniel.

Auburn wins the home finale over Ole Miss, 46-43. We had scored 6 points in the first 13 minutes when our best player, Hasina Muhammad, was finally put in the game. Muhammad scored Auburn's next 13 points on her way to a career tying high 19 total points.

Auburn finally got the lead with less than two minutes left. I stopped counting turnovers when both teams went over 20 each. In one stretch of the game, in seven straight possessions there were six turnovers, three by each team.

Auburn tried three different players at point guard, but none looked comfortable running the team. "Jet" Quardad was the best but she can't score from beyond three feet and is shorter than the 5'1" that is her listed height.

Anyway, Nell Fortner went out with a home court win and there's only the SEC tournament game left.

Best wishes to Nell, and lets look forward to the Auburn women's team heading upward towards once again being a contender for SEC and national titles. :cheer:

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure we're watching her swan song.

First of all, welcome!

Now, I had really high hopes when Nell was hired. That continued right up until the '07-08 season, which I thought was a big disappointment. The early exit in the SEC tournament and the subsequent one win, then 28-point loss by the top-seeded Tigers in the NCAA tournament to end the 08-09 season confirmed what I'd been coming to fear: When we run into a well coached team, such as Vivian Stringer (Rutgers)or Melanie Balkom (Vandy) puts on the floor, we're a gone goose regardless of how much of a talent advantage we have.

Speaking of talent, Nell lucked into two of the better players in Auburn history. Bonner wasn't highly recruited because people thought she was too skinny and Whitney Boddie had to work summers and didn't play AAU basketball so she was under the radar. Those two could have played on any past Auburn team.

However, to my knowledge (and I try to pay attention) Nell has never signed a player that had a legitimate offer from Tennessee, Georgia, LSU or any of the ACC schools that take women's BB seriously. We can't beat those people if we cant get at least some players they want.

All in all, Nell runs a clean program, her team has a good image and the kids don't get in trouble. If that's enough for some, then Nell Fortner is fine at Auburn. Those of us that have witnessed big-time winning at Auburn and want to see more feel like we need a change.

PS: Our most recent loss, to the Marist Red Foxes, is a perfect example of an extremely well-coached team with lesser talent whipping our Tigers. I'm tired of it.

Shame on the Auburn women for losing to Marist early in their season - who just beat Georgia in the first round of the NCAA 76-70...shame, shame shame.......

So you think an SEC team losing to Marist isn't something to be ashamed of? Andy Landers would not agree with you. I think any time a team loses to one with lesser talent, it's a coaching failure.

Are you on the search committee to find us a new coach? If so, fielding a team that can beat the Marist Red Foxes should be one criteria.

Now that that's settled, I really do enjoy watching Marist play. They are well coached and play team ball like a well-oiled machine. That's how they beat teams with much more talent than they have. I don't think Marist has a single player that would have started on Auburn's team this year, yet they are in the tournament and Auburn is not. That's why we needed a coaching change.

Maybe we need to hire Marist's coach.

Maybe, maybe not. I think he may be a guy that's found a perfect fit at his current school. The style of player that he has at Marist would be hard to find near Auburn and I'm pretty sure they would not stand up well to a full season of the physical pounding they'd have to take with an SEC schedule.

However, they sure are fun to watch. It's worth seeking them out on the TV.

While Marist may not be in the SEC or a league that some of people posting consider top tier........their record for the past four years is pretty good - 112/22 over all and 66/6 in conference play...seems like something is going right for them so while AU lost to them and the Red Foxes beat GA - it doesn't mean that they are a non-issue in the NCAA and the tournament....

per Phillip Marshall - Head coaches at North Carolina State, Miami and Georgetown are high on Auburn's list of potential replacements for Nell Fortner....nothing from hoopscoop as yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived