2012 SEC Swimming and Diving Championships

TrumanCrockett

Thought I would start one for this years championships instead of bumping last years. After the first day the men are tied for the lead with UT and the women are in second with 101, trailing UT.

Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace swam a sub-21 second (20.80 sec) 50 yard split in freestyle. This is the fastest 50 yard split by a woman swimmer at ANY LEVEL. WDE to that.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/c-swim/recaps/021512aaa.html

Men holding first place after day 2, but there's a lot more left! The women's team is now fourth, they are probably a year away from challenging Georgia for the SEC's.

Swimming is funny, some years when AU won the NCAA in either men or women it was harder to win the SEC than the NCAA. In the case of the women, they once lost the SEC and won the NCAA.

Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace swam a sub-21 second (20.80 sec) 50 yard split in freestyle. This is the fastest 50 yard split by a woman swimmer at ANY LEVEL. WDE to that.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/c-swim/recaps/021512aaa.html

That's just wicked sick. Split or no, that's blazin' in the lanes!

Auburn men win their 16 consecutive SEC Title, and 18 of last 19.. #DOMINANCE...

This should not go un-noticed. 16 SEC championships in a row is an amazing feat!

I do like the swim meets, SEC and NCAA. Once you find the site you can check out the preliminary results from the morning events and sort of see how well Auburn will do in the evening finals. It's exciting to go in person, and the NCAA Women's championships will be in Auburn this year, I believe. Anybody that has a chance should drop by and check it out.

Bham News, Sunday Sports Page 1: most space, largest photo (7" x 5" color), largest font (upper case) goes to HUNGRY AND RENTLESS (Tide revives NCAA tourney hopes with win over Vols"; second place goes to all upper case again READING THE COVERAGE (COLLEGE ATHLETES' RIGHTS) with two photos; third place to UT's Hart trying to bild another Alabama?; the three remaining page 1 stories are about the same in space. We finally get recognition with lower case font and photo (2" x 1.5" poor quality color photo) "16 in a row, Auburn men grab hold of yet another SEC title." Isn't it nice to make the front page of the sports page? Oh, I failed to mention we did get 3 paragraphs also on the front page, but turn to page 5 and we get much more including photo (3" x 6.5" black and white).

Is it any wonder I discontinued my subscription?

Bham News, Sunday Sports Page 1: most space, largest photo (7" x 5" color), largest font (upper case) goes to HUNGRY AND RENTLESS (Tide revives NCAA tourney hopes with win over Vols"; second place goes to all upper case again READING THE COVERAGE (COLLEGE ATHLETES' RIGHTS) with two photos; third place to UT's Hart trying to bild another Alabama?; the three remaining page 1 stories are about the same in space. We finally get recognition with lower case font and photo (2" x 1.5" poor quality color photo) "16 in a row, Auburn men grab hold of yet another SEC title." Isn't it nice to make the front page of the sports page? Oh, I failed to mention we did get 3 paragraphs also on the front page, but turn to page 5 and we get much more including photo (3" x 6.5" black and white).

Having only seen the online version, I'm guessing that there's no mention ( save for the printed score ) of AU men's bb victory, vs ranked Miss State ?

Granted, AU isn't expected to do much post the SEC tourney, but isn't it news worthy, a little, when the state's largest university goes on the road and upsets a ranked SEC team? I mean, heading into the contest, Miss State was rated above ua-t , being 4th in the over all conference standings. The mere fact that Auburn won SHOULD warrant a measure of respect.

<_<

Having only seen the online version, I'm guessing that there's no mention ( save for the printed score ) of AU men's bb victory, on the road, vs ranked Miss State ?

Granted, AU isn't expected to do much post the SEC tourney, but isn't it news worthy, a little, when the state's largest university goes on the road and upsets a ranked SEC team? I mean, heading into the contest, Miss State was rated above ua-t , being 4th in the over all conference standings. The mere fact that Auburn won, on the road, in the SEC, SHOULD warrant a measure of respect. What does it take ? Beating the #3 team ? # 2 team? Hell, would beating Kentucky , on the road, have given Auburn front page status ?

<_<

We beat state in auburn yesterday, not on the road.

Having only seen the online version, I'm guessing that there's no mention ( save for the printed score ) of AU men's bb victory, on the road, vs ranked Miss State ?

Granted, AU isn't expected to do much post the SEC tourney, but isn't it news worthy, a little, when the state's largest university goes on the road and upsets a ranked SEC team? I mean, heading into the contest, Miss State was rated above ua-t , being 4th in the over all conference standings. The mere fact that Auburn won, on the road, in the SEC, SHOULD warrant a measure of respect. What does it take ? Beating the #3 team ? # 2 team? Hell, would beating Kentucky , on the road, have given Auburn front page status ?

<_<

Bham News Sports Section page 8: Tigers upset MSU covers the top 25% of page 8 (black & white 4" x 8" photo).

We beat state in auburn yesterday, not on the road.

Corrected. Though this was the 1st time Barbee's Tigers had beaten a ranked opponent. Not exactly toppling # 1 , but still, we all know that were the shoe on the other foot, updyke state wouldn't have been pushed back so far deep in the sports section.

The only comparable record I can think of is Iowa wrestling under Dan Gable who retired in '97 with a record of 355-21-5 (.940), 21 consecutive Big Ten Titles and 15 NCAA Championships. Even then, Auburn's been dominant in men AND women's swimming. Not sure Iowa had women's wrestling. :big:

Archived