Auburn Linebackers

StatTiger

From 1999-2005, if you were take the top 3 tacklers at the LB position from each season, you would find they accounted for 18.5 tackles per game. Taking the next set of 3 LB's (4-6), they averaged 7.0 tackles per game.

The leading tackler during an Auburn game from 1999-2005 was a LB, 66.9% of the time.

From 2006-2011, the top-3 leading tacklers at the LB position accounted for 13.9 tackles per game and their reserves (next set of 3 LB's) accounted for 4.8 tackles per game.

The leading tackler during an Auburn game from 2006-2011 was a LB, 46.8% of the time.

During the last 8 NFL drafts (2005-2012), 1 LB from Auburn was selected.

During the 7 NFL drafts (1998-2004) prior to the previous 8 drafts, 5 AU LB's were selected.

Only 25% of the LB's recruited and signed by Auburn from 2002-2009 were rated as 4-stars or better.

40% of the LB's signed by AU in the last 3 recruiting classes were rated as 4-stars or better.

Tubby wanted those smaller and faster guys. That is not what the NFL wants, so I would suppose that is why they were not drafted. I wonder if that is why they were also not rated high coming out of high school?

And guys that Tubs signed. It has been a while since we had a big imposing set of LBs. We've had guys with size, but it's been a while since you watched an Auburn linebacker and thought "yep, that dude is an NFL player." Herring was probably the last one. After he moved down from Safety, it was obvious how natural he was at the position. God bless Josh Bynes and Craig Stevens (plenty of size on those guys). They were great college players and Auburn men. They just weren't great NFL prospects.

God bless Josh Bynes and Craig Stevens (plenty of size on those guys). They were great college players and Auburn men. They just weren't great NFL prospects.

Yes they were. Josh Bynes is one of my all time favorite players. Interesting note on Bynes and AU's LB's. Daren Bates and Josh Bynes are tied for 1st place in leading the team in tackles in 8 games each from 2009-2011.

mcgufcm,

I agree with your assessment and comments on Bates in the other thread. He takes a lot of flack for a young man that was not recruited to play LB. He has worked his can off since he's been here and has worked hard to improve his tackling. He became only the 5th LB at AU in the past 15 years to total over 100 tackles in a season.

I miss Takeo Spikes.

I never thought of Josh Bynes as that great of a player (I'm sure the stats would prove me wrong) but the heart he had and the passion he displayed were indispensable. A Kodi Burns of the defense if you will.

Josh's best attribute was his head for the game. I wish his feet were as fleet as his mind. He was a solid tackler. He got himself in the right position on almost every play. He was just physically limited, not quite fast enough and a bit tight. But he was a fantastic college football player and was absolutely the brains of our national title defense.

Archived