If anyone has any sources or information on the shooting(s) in Auburn, please contact us immediately at The Auburn Plainsman at 334-844-9108. As Auburn's student newspaper, we're concerned about the students involved and would like to provide accurate, updated information.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts/prayers are with the families of everybody who was caught in the fray. This is where the Auburn Family shows their true colors that even in the darkest of times we will stand strong and come together in light of the circumstances.

Did university heights have a different name in the past? Is it the first complex after the closed video warehouse on longleaf?

University Heights was behind the old video warehouse but changed names & maybe management to The Exchange (may not be that anymore. It's been 2 years since I lived in Auburn) back in 2007/2008 I believe. That's when the current University Heights, where this incident happened, was built and opened.

Why in this world would anybody take a gun to a party?

From everything that I'm reading, I don't believe the shooters were actually invited(or that it was a party at all). The big rumor going around everywhere was that this was over a woman.

The post on reddit provides some good first hand account information. Desmond Howard apparently also linked it from his Twitter.

http://www.reddit.com/r/auburn/comments/uu71d/3_au_football_players_shot_1_reported_dead/

AUBURN, Alabama -- Several people were shot at an apartment complex near Auburn University in Alabama when a fight broke out during a pool party, authorities and a witness said.

Turquorius Vines, 23, said he was at the pool party Saturday evening at the University Heights apartments with one of his friends. He said he and his friend were approached by two other men who started arguing with them over a woman.

Vines said he punched one of the men, while his friend hit both of the men over the head with a bottle. Either one or both of the two men then started shooting, he said. He said his friend was shot and killed, while two others also were hit by gunfire. Vines said he had never before seen the men who he had been arguing with.

"It's like I lost a lung," Vines said of his friend. "I don't know how I'm going to survive this."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/auburn_shooting_following_argu.html

Why in this world would anybody take a gun to a party?

My thoughts exactly. And even further...why is someone walking around carrying a gun on a Saturday night? Something has got to change with these young people who think a gun can solve all their problems.

AUBURN, Alabama -- Former Auburn football players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips were shot to death and current player Eric Mack has a gunshot wound and is in the hospital following a Saturday night shooting at an apartment complex near the campus, according to two people familiar with the incident.

Two other people, perhaps more, may have been shot.

A source said Mack "will be all right."

The Auburn police department will hold a news conference later today to discuss the details.

The incident occurred after several men had an argument, then a fight, at the University Heights apartment complex. One or two of the men returned and began shooting, apparently indiscriminately. The shooters have no association with the football program, according to a source.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/former_auburn_players_ed_chris.html

Auburn shooting witness: "It was about a female ... We were trying to get away from the trouble and it ended up right in our face.”

@dennisdoddcbs

Witnesses at AU apartment building say men fought over woman, punches thrown, few men returned to scene and fired shots at victims.

@RickKarle

Our daughter lives in the building next to the pool. She is alone there and terrified - and mostly concerned about the football players. Pray for all involved. This is second shooting in past month or so at the complex.

As a parent I feel for you. It has to be heartbreaking to not be able to get to your daughter. I will pray that God gives her peace right now.

About a month ago, Auburn PD tried to serve a search warrant at apartment in Bldg. 13. Occupants opened fire on police with AK 47 assualt rifles. This, too, was next door to our daughter's building. We are currently trying to get her out of there - permanently.

About a month ago, Auburn PD tried to serve a search warrant at apartment in Bldg. 13. Occupants opened fire on police with AK 47 assualt rifles...

Do wha?!

Auburn Coach Gene Chizik called Ladarious Phillips' high school coach at 7 a.m. to inform him of his death. "He was devastated."

Chizik's message to Phillips' family was this: "Anything that they need that the Auburn football family can provide, they will."

@PeteThamelNYT

AUBURN, Alabama -- As many as seven people were shot at an Auburn apartment complex Saturday night that cost the lives of two former football players, al.com has learned. Witnesses identified the shooter after a fight that led to a person firing a gun. That person is not associated with Auburn football.

Two of the wounded are in critical condition at the East Alabama Medical Center. They are not associated with the Auburn football program.

Former Auburn players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips were killed by a gunman, and current offensive lineman Eric Mack was wounded. His wound is not life-threatening and may be released from the East Alabama Medical Center in Opelika in the coming days.

Two others not associated with the football team are also hospitalized.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/06/as_many_as_seven_shot_in_incid.html

Archived