2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

Smith claims he is being recruited as a QB yet Jeremy Johnson has claimed that the coaching staff told him he would be the only qb in the class and we were done at the position. So what's up?

M\Smith is an athlete that will play another position. But knowing our coaches they will give him a fair shot at QB first.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest EagleDamnWar

From an Alabama Chat yesterday, Bama has heavy interest in Jason Smith but they are only projecting him as an ATH.  He wants to be only taken as a QB and that is why he is leaning to Auburn.  From the mods on Rivals, he is projected to be our next commit. 

Guest EagleDamnWar

He has a current top group of Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas State. He plans to visit each before the start of his senior season. "But I don't really have a leader right now. I like all of the schools in my top group. They are all showing a lot of interest in me."

Smith hopes the visits this summer will help him make a decision before or during the season.

He has a current top group of Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas State. He plans to visit each before the start of his senior season. "But I don't really have a leader right now. I like all of the schools in my top group. They are all showing a lot of interest in me."

Smith hopes the visits this summer will help him make a decision before or during the season.

Would love to get this kid, great athlete. Would be a great asset to any team....

When all the dust has calm down, do any of you believe that Jason become an Auburn Tiger? I really hope he will. I really haven't heard or read anyhing in the last few weeks to make me think any different.

When all the dust has calm down, do any of you believe that Jason become an Auburn Tiger? I really hope he will. I really haven't heard or read anyhing in the last few weeks to make me think any different.

Looking at this thing from afar, having zero inside information I would say he is waiting on a a commitable offer from someone.  Not sure if that someone is Alabama, Auburn, or someone else, I just don't feel like he has the offer that he is looking for so he's stringing this thing out. 

I hope it's us who are taking a wait and see approach, but I get the feeling it's another school.  I've read too many times that we've given him a commitable offer to think otherwise.

Haven't seen the numbers on how many "committable offers" AU has out now.  There aren't that many more schollys available and AU still needs some firm commits on LBs and DT.  No doubt that JS is an excellent athlete but not sure AU needs another QB candidate in this class.  Also, I have to wonder if JS fits Lefty's idea of a QB.

Our QB picture has changed dramatically over the past two weeks for obvious reasons.  When you stop to think that our third-string QB this fall might be Jonathon Wallace ( not a knock on the kid, but you all know what I mean), some serious thinking has to be done to getting a second QB.  Jason Smith, if signed, would get a shot at QB (much like Kris Frost got a shot a WR), but it is highly unlikely he'd wind up there.  Considering our need for safeties, that would be his most likely destination.  Recruiting and position needs are very fluid as we have seen;  two weeks ago, a second RB seemed likely because of the available talent; now a second QB ( and JJ can live with that) is possible.  True, the higher rated prospects are off the board, but there are at least two, maybe three, that we might flip.  Not saying ZP is out (problem is he showed a lot of progress and promise during the spring), but they have to plan as if he is out.

Our QB picture has changed dramatically over the past two weeks for obvious reasons.  When you stop to think that our third-string QB this fall might be Jonathon Wallace ( not a knock on the kid, but you all know what I mean), some serious thinking has to be done to getting a second QB.  Jason Smith, if signed, would get a shot at QB (much like Kris Frost got a shot a WR), but it is highly unlikely he'd wind up there.  Considering our need for safeties, that would be his most likely destination.  Recruiting and position needs are very fluid as we have seen;  two weeks ago, a second RB seemed likely because of the available talent; now a second QB ( and JJ can live with that) is possible.  True, the higher rated prospects are off the board, but there are at least two, maybe three, that we might flip.  Not saying ZP is out (problem is he showed a lot of progress and promise during the spring), but they have to plan as if he is out.

Agreed, pop

Looking at this thing from afar, having zero inside information I would say he is waiting on a a commitable offer from someone.  Not sure if that someone is Alabama, Auburn, or someone else, I just don't feel like he has the offer that he is looking for so he's stringing this thing out. 

I hope it's us who are taking a wait and see approach, but I get the feeling it's another school.  I've read too many times that we've given him a commitable offer to think otherwise.

Smith has commitable offer from AU and uat. 

Pops, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. But do you know JJ can live with that, or are you surmising? Have the coaches had such a discussion with him?

Pops, what you are saying makes a lot of sense. But do you know JJ can live with that, or are you surmising? Have the coaches had such a discussion with him?

Integrity is strong with this coaching staff, so I will assure you that if they are thinking about bring someone else on board as a QB they would have informed JJ.

Integrity is strong with this coaching staff, so I will assure you that if they are thinking about bring someone else on board as a QB they would have informed JJ.

That's what I would guess, too. Just wondering if Pops has any corroborating evidence (such as first-hand knowledge) rather than my guess, based on what I believe about the coaches.

That's what I would guess, too. Just wondering if Pops has any corroborating evidence (such as first-hand knowledge) rather than my guess, based on what I believe about the coaches.

You HAVE to bring in another QB in this class, and only an unreasonable person would not be ok with that.  Lucky for us, high school recruits are never unreasonable.

And a possibility of only 2 QBs next Spring unless JJ and/or JS are early enrollees.  However I'm very Hopeful CM, KF, ZP, and JW will all be there  full speed and raring to go.  :thumbsup:

All the above posts are 100% accurate.  Britt, check your pms.

You HAVE to bring in another QB in this class, and only an unreasonable person would not be ok with that.  Lucky for us, high school recruits are never unreasonable.

Not necessarily. Even though he is a walk on Ryan Carter is A LOT better than most would think so there is some depth there. With that said, excluding Smith all the quality pure QBs are taken so we would have to flip one to get one.

@PMARSHONAU

4-star QB Jason Smith will announce his decision Monday

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/4-star-QB-Jason-Smith-will-announce-his-decision-Monday-79940

@JHokanson

RT @AuburnRivals: QB Jason Smith will announce between Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State

Announcement will be 8 AM CT at his school.

Smith is expected to make a decision between Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss and Miss State Monday morning. I expect him to commit to Auburn.

Archived