Is it time for a serious conversation about Gun Control?

RunInRed

15 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

He had apparently been wearing one all year, everyday.  If that's the case, and nothing happened to this point, you would havs zero reason to suspect it.

I think that would really get my attention and get close scrutiny. it would seem he was setting it up all along. A few random searches along the way may have lowered his confidence. But it's all Monday morning QBing at this point in time.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

It’s a thread derailment but the L.A. bank robbery (mid 80’s) is one of the main reasons law enforcement went to magazine fed pistols. It’s also when the development of SWAT teams began on a large scale. 

Saw movie/documentary about that....cops seriously out-gunned.....law enforcement definitely changed after that.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I think that would really get my attention and get close scrutiny. it would seem he was setting it up all along. A few random searches along the way may have lowered his confidence. But it's all Monday morning QBing at this point in time.

Lots of unusual kids in schools these days and the majority are not now and never will be dangerous.  

BUT....friend has a daughter in 11th grade  locally and she said they have one guy in her grade who could be voted as "most likely to be a school shooter"...saying that half in jest.   She acknowledged they worry about him and have reported him...but of course nothing has happened with him. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Saw movie/documentary about that....cops seriously out-gunned.....law enforcement definitely changed after that.

A Sheriff I know well had an automatic pistol jam on him in the 80s when trying to shoot tires out on a runner. He said he’d never carry another one. Of course that changed. I don’t know why he went back to automatic (semi). Probably quality dependability improved in his eyes. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Lots of unusual kids in schools these days and the majority are not now and never will be dangerous.  

BUT....friend has a daughter in 11th grade  locally and she said they have one guy in her grade who could be voted as "most likely to be a school shooter"...saying that half in jest.   She acknowledged they worry about him and have reported him...but of course nothing has happened with him. 

I had a good friend of mine during my HS days who would routinely wear a trench coat to class every day and, AND ... he wore a button on the inside lapel that read. "Today is a bummer."  Teenage angst & melancholy behavior is hardly new or unique.  Unlike the Parkland shooter, this kid in Texas didn't have any red flags hanging about him.  I'll be interested to find out what the investigation turns up about any explosive devices he planned to use. 

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

A Sheriff I know well had an automatic pistol jam on him in the 80s when trying to shoot tires out on a runner. He said he’d never carry another one. Of course that changed. I don’t know why he went back to automatic (semi). Probably quality dependability improved in his eyes. 

I’ll never say never but but the only malfunctions I’ve had with my Glocks have been operator error.  We have several guys that carry 1911 style weapons but for me I’ll take a Glock or Springfield all day over any 1911 for law enforcement work. 

28 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

I had a good friend of mine during my HS days who would routinely wear a trench coat to class every day and, AND ... he wore a button on the inside lapel that read. "Today is a bummer."  Teenage angst & melancholy behavior is hardly new or unique.  Unlike the Parkland shooter, this kid in Texas didn't have any red flags hanging about him.  I'll be interested to find out what the investigation turns up about any explosive devices he planned to use

Considering how much the original news stories missed the facts of the matter I will be interested to see if he actually had any of that stuff. 

An AR 15 turned out to be a shotgun....I mean that's an easy mistake I guess and a semi-automatic pistol became a revolver.   So pipe bombs.....or Yeti thermos?   

The real problem might be to understand the "why"....though at this point I'm not sure how much that matters.   In the past, the "why" on any particular shooting has not been very useful to prevent future events. 

36 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

I had a good friend of mine during my HS days who would routinely wear a trench coat to class every day and, AND ... he wore a button on the inside lapel that read. "Today is a bummer."  Teenage angst & melancholy behavior is hardly new or unique.  Unlike the Parkland shooter, this kid in Texas didn't have any red flags hanging about him.  I'll be interested to find out what the investigation turns up about any explosive devices he planned to use. 

It's useful he didn't kill himself.

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

It’s a thread derailment but the L.A. bank robbery (mid 80’s) is one of the main reasons law enforcement went to magazine fed pistols. It’s also when the development of SWAT teams began on a large scale. 

I understand.  I am just relating how things have changed.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Curious that we seem to be uniquely plagued by troubled students and sick individuals. <_<

Of course, I reject this premise. I need look no farther than above to confirm your "uniquely" claim is in error. Even were it accurate (and it is not) the results would very likely be because a good ol' fashioned whuppin' with a hickory switch is now considered child abuse in the United States. I hear the Ruskie moms don't let the weird opinions of left wing sociologists affect their parenting methods.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Of course, I reject this premise. I need look no farther than above to confirm your "uniquely" claim is in error. Even were it accurate (and it is not) the results would very likely be because a good ol' fashioned whuppin' with a hickory switch is now considered child abuse in the United States. I hear the Ruskie moms don't let the weird opinions of left wing sociologists affect their parenting methods.

QFT  :laugh:

Great stuff!  As good as Japan, but succinct and blessedly brief.  :bow:

On 5/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, aubearcat said:

I’ll never say never but but the only malfunctions I’ve had with my Glocks have been operator error.  We have several guys that carry 1911 style weapons but for me I’ll take a Glock or Springfield all day over any 1911 for law enforcement work. 

There is a reason law enforcement agencies overwhelmingly issue Glocks.  Their reputation for reliability is well-earned, and they are ridiculously simple to train anyone to use.  Glocks also do not really care if you maintain them properly or not.  Load them with quality ammo and they will go bang when you want them to.  They are basically the AK-47 of handguns.

I love 1911's, but I would never trust one with my life when carrying a Glock 30 is an option.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

There is a reason law enforcement agencies overwhelmingly issue Glocks.  Their reputation for reliability is well-earned, and they are ridiculously simple to train anyone to use.  Glocks also do not really care if you maintain them properly or not.  Load them with quality ammo and they will go bang when you want them to.  They are basically the AK-47 of handguns.

I love 1911's, but I would never trust one with my life when carrying a Glock 30 is an option.

I have models 17, 19C, 43, and 31. The 31 is in the safe now. 

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I have a Glock 19 and a license to carry. Works for me.

I have the cheapest gun on the market today and it won’t jam. S&W SD9 VE The two stage triggers suck though. It’s a very heavy pull and once it wouldn’t fire at all. I have heard you can get a kit to replace this trigger. I was told recently S&W lost a lawsuit to Glock over this gun and had to pay about 10$ per unit over patent infringement. No idea if that’s true. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I have the cheapest gun on the market today and it won’t jam. S&W SD9 VE The two stage triggers suck though. It’s a very heavy pull and once it wouldn’t fire at all. I have heard you can get a kit to replace this trigger. I was told recently S&W lost a lawsuit to Glock over this gun and had to pay about 10$ per unit over patent infringement. No idea if that’s true. 

My Glock triggers are smooth enough. I have a S&W .38 Airweight hammer less. The trigger on that thing is a beast. My patrol rifle is a Rock River Arms AR. It’s nothing special like a Daniel Defense or anything but it functions like a sewing machine and was much cheaper. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I have a friend who recently bought some kind of S&W. It kicked the empty cartridge right into his face. He sent it back and they sent him another one. Same result. It's back to S&W. Haven't heard the latest on what they are going to do.

My wife was reading the comments and critique of various hand guns on this thread.....and is beginning to worry about the kind of people I hang out with....:dunno:

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, aubearcat said:

That is correct.......Didnt law enforcement mostly use snub nose revolvers??? 357??....Not really gun expert or even close...

59 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I have a friend who recently bought some kind of S&W. It kicked the empty cartridge right into his face. He sent it back and they sent him another one. Same result. It's back to S&W. Haven't heard the latest on what they are going to do.

Mine does great. I paid 299$ for it and got an extra mag. I might treat myself to a Judge. Been eyeing them for a while. 

23 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

That is correct.......Didnt law enforcement mostly use snub nose revolvers??? 357??....Not really gun expert or even close...

I’m not really sure. All I can recall is that is the start of police using magazine fed pistols with higher capacity due to the fact they were outgunned. 

2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I’m not really sure. All I can recall is that is the start of police using magazine fed pistols with higher capacity due to the fact they were outgunned. 

You are exactly right.......the police didnt stand a chance that day.....If I remember law enforcement were using shotguns and revolvers.....the two robbers were heavily armed and armored.

On 5/19/2018 at 2:18 PM, aubearcat said:

I'll never forget watching this when it happen just damn

5 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I have models 17, 19C, 43, and 31. The 31 is in the safe now. 

I typically dislike single-stack handguns in 9mm, but I have been impressed with the 43's I have shot.

My current carry is my S&W M&P 9C. The original 9C, not the mod. 2. I haven't had even the inkling of a failure of any sort. After I was certain I was going to keep it, I had the APEX trigger kit installed. The trigger wasn't bad to begin with, but now it's great. I'm out of the pistol buying business for myself as I can't imagine an improvement over what I've got. The next granddaughter turns 21 in 2 years, so she's shooting every different model she gets her hands on now because she already knows what present Grandpa will give her for her 21st birthday. She just has to make her choice known.

Archived