Is it time for a serious conversation about Gun Control?

RunInRed

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I disagree 100%. Since facepalms are somewhat rude, I didn't give this post one of those.

Oh, don't worry. I showed equivalent restraint and extended yours the same courtesy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left reading this thread when all the ammosexuals started bragging about their weaponry. If I had known we’d be fighting off foreign invaders with our stockpiled ammo and guns I’d have stayed and popped popcorn. We still have popcorn, right? The invaders didn’t take that did they?

5 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I left reading this thread when all the ammosexuals started bragging about their weaponry. If I had known we’d be fighting off foreign invaders with our stockpiled ammo and guns I’d have stayed and popped popcorn. We still have popcorn, right? The invaders didn’t take that did they?

In today's society Elle, I believe it will depend on the toppings of the popcorn. Do you use salt, pepper, nacho cheese flavor, butter, mix em lol?

9 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

In today's society Elle, I believe it will depend on the toppings of the popcorn. Do you use salt, pepper, nacho cheese flavor, butter, mix em lol?

I like butter and salt. But garlic powder on popcorn is tasty too.

10 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I like butter and salt. But garlic powder on popcorn is tasty too.

I've started just lightly spraying it with olive oil and then using cracked pepper. Getting to the age where I need to start eliminating salts and sugars.

6 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

No, there's still popcorn, thanks to our well armed farmers and the well armed hunters and other well armed city folk that will be helping the farmers protect the food supply. I suppose the farmers will also feed the wimpy gunaphobes even if gunaphobes aren't capable of contributing to the general welfare, because farmers are nice folk and will feed useless moochers too.

15 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I don’t think anybody was bragging. I think it was much more of a discussion of preference. Similar to how car people would discuss Ford v Chevy v Dodge. 

32 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I don’t think anybody was bragging. I think it was much more of a discussion of preference. Similar to how car people would discuss Ford v Chevy v Dodge. 

Ok

On 5/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, Strychnine said:

If you are still in the house, planning to make your stand there, you have lost the fight already.  Flashbangs and tear gas say hello.

That said, if a foreign army has reached the point (on US soil) where they have time and resources to bother with you and your band of suicidal guerillas, then the following are now true:

1.  The United States military is no longer providing meaningful opposition, so the invader has won the war.

2.  Power, cellular communications, and telephone lines are all out.  Railways and major highways are likely useless as well.

3.  The local grocery stores have long since been empty.

4.  People that did not die in the humanitarian catastrophe that is the United States civilian population without power, cell phones, and grocery stores are fighting each other over what remains.  Food, gasoline, and water are things that Americans started killing each other over, while the militaries were fighting each other.  The United States is The Walking Dead, minus the zombies.

The foreign army can lay siege to your 300-mile radius at will.  They have the infrastructure for resupply indefinitely, but you do not.  They can pacify you with artillery, airstrikes, and starvation from positions of safety.  If they grow impatient, they can reduce every structure in that 300-mile radius to a pile of rubble, and then move on.  A fleet of drones and helicopters can pick off any survivors with impunity.  A civilian's ability to fight any modern military is directly related to how much they do not want to kill you, and what they wish to capture intact.

In reality, most of the people still alive will be so traumatized by the horrors they have witnessed (plenty of which came from their own people), and motivated by the basic instinct of needing to eat, that they will be happy to disarm and surrender.

Excellent points.  But he's probably thinking in terms of the OBSNA (Obama's Secret Negro Army.)

They aren't as well-equipped.  ;D

On 5/29/2018 at 3:55 PM, Mikey said:

I think we would do better than that. To besiege a town is one thing,  besieging a nation is something entirely different. There are tens of tens of thousands of food storage facilities in the U.S. Under such circumstances farmers would share, as long as their livestock and produce lasted. Whoever "they" are, they cannot block rivers, lakes and streams from providing water. Life as we know it would disappear, at least for a time but I think we'd do better than most nations in similar circumstances. Thanks in part to plenty of guns and ammunition in the hands of the populace.

Hopefully, we will never know which one of us is correct.

Good grief.  :no:

On 5/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, GiveEmElle said:

Ammosexuals.   LMAO :laugh:

What a great term!  

'Empowerment psychology' plays a large role in any gun aficionado's psyche.  Including mine.  Most won't - or cannot - admit it though.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:46 PM, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think the Constitution or other founding documents are perfect by any means and when viewed with a modern lens, certain aspects maybe should be reviewed.  The founding fathers did not fathom the world we now live in.

For example, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" literally meant white men only when the document was written.  The founders had no intention for women or minorities to vote/have equal rights and this had to be updated.

As far as the 2A, the document calls for people to bear arms for the purpose of a "well regulated militia".  Please tell me what militia would have a chance against an invading army, foreign or domestic, in today's world.  I'll wait.

Back in 1789, I get it because militias actually had a purpose and stood a chance.  Today the written words of the law are outdated.

Actually, the primary purpose of militias was to protect the country by forming into an army as required.  The country didn't have a large standing army at the time.

Interesting contrast to today, huh?

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Actually, the primary purpose of militias was to protect the country by forming into an army as required.  The country didn't have a large standing army at the time.

Interesting contrast to today, huh?

We still don't have a large standing army, when compared to what a militia could raise. Straight from Google:

Active duty members of the U.S. Army, 2014= 516,000

Number of hunting licenses sold in Pennsylvania, 2017=912,000.

That's just one state whose number popped up. What we have now is a medium sized army with the world's largest backup force. That should make every American feel safe!

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Ammosexuals.   LMAO :laugh:

What a great term!  

'Empowerment psychology' plays a large role in any gun aficionado's psyche.  Including mine.  Most won't - or cannot - admit it though.

Well they do tend to brag on their guns like a lover. ?‍♀️

22 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Now we're talking I'm a popcorn frick have it nightly. Strictly a Mighty Pop Popcorn salt guy get at Sams. Also this song is my theme song for popcorn. Have to see the end of the video to get my meaning. From the movie Real Genius its one of the wife and I favorite movies

4 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Wow! The lack of respect for the danger of firearms in the video is astounding. This makes me think that people are more desensitized that I thought. I can understand an idiot doing something stupid like not bracing a shotgun against his/her shoulder, but why in heck would the person shooting the video not show them how to shoot it first? Don't they know that stupid people with guns KILL PEOPLE?

4 hours ago, Grumps said:

Wow! The lack of respect for the danger of firearms in the video is astounding. This makes me think that people are more desensitized that I thought. I can understand an idiot doing something stupid like not bracing a shotgun against his/her shoulder, but why in heck would the person shooting the video not show them how to shoot it first? Don't they know that stupid people with guns KILL PEOPLE?

These are the type of idiots that got me grazed and inches away from being screwed.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

We still don't have a large standing army, when compared to what a militia could raise. Straight from Google:

Active duty members of the U.S. Army, 2014= 516,000

Number of hunting licenses sold in Pennsylvania, 2017=912,000.

That's just one state whose number popped up. What we have now is a medium sized army with the world's largest backup force. That should make every American feel safe!

It's good to know that all of you gun owners are on the same page and will be on the same team when Obama comes for your guns. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's good to know that all of you gun owners are on the same page and will be on the same team when Obama comes for your guns. 

Obama would have loved to seize the guns in the hands of private U.S. citizens. Reference his several speeches praising the Great Aussie Gun Grab. He didn't have the political support to get it done and I don't see any future gun grabber mounting the support such a thing would need in order to even get started.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Obama would have loved to seize the guns in the hands of private U.S. citizens. Reference his several speeches praising the Great Aussie Gun Grab. He didn't have the political support to get it done and I don't see any future gun grabber mounting the support such a thing would need in order to even get started.

Glad that was your main takeaway from my post. 

6 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

These are the type of idiots that got me grazed and inches away from being screwed.

I have packed up and left the range on many occasions after witnessing people with blatant disregard for safety.  It is one of the two main reasons I rarely bring out my full-autos.  Everyone wants to try them out, and I want no part of someone being shot with one of my firearms that someone else lost control of.  Of course, the other reason is that everyone else wants to shoot up my ammo.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Glad that was your main takeaway from my post. 

The idea that gun owners won't be on the same page was too ludicrous to address. Americans have a 250 year history of putting personal differences aside and uniting to defend their rights.

11 hours ago, japantiger said:

Those were funny! You can find idiots in every area of human activity. Recently, a resident of this area told his buddies "Hold my beer and I'll show you how to catch a rattlesnake with your bare hands". He spent two weeks in the hospital and nearly lost a hand. That doesn't mean folks in this neighborhood are all fools, just as the above videos of fools doesn't  mean all shooters are that stupid.

26 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The idea that gun owners won't be on the same page was too ludicrous to address. Americans have a 250 year history of putting personal differences aside and uniting to defend their rights.

Your fantasies are vivid and fun. Wolverines!

Archived