Derrick Green

RunInRed

Can you call a player that broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing record, was national championship MVP, and ran for over 1000 yards his freshman and sophomore years a "waste" of anything on the field?

And where is he now... I think your statement reinforces how much of a waste he was/is...

Can time prove that he isn't a waste... for him, yes. He can still turn his life around and make something of his life and learn the life lessons that have been put at his feet; however, if you look at his college football career it is most certainly a waste.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you call a player that broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing record, was national championship MVP, and ran for over 1000 yards his freshman and sophomore years a "waste" of anything on the field?

And where is he now... I think your statement reinforces how much of a waste he was/is...

Can time prove that he isn't a waste... for him, yes. He can still turn his life around and make something of his life and learn the life lessons that have been put at his feet; however, if you look at his college football career it is most certainly a waste.

Well, its too soon to tell if it was a waste or not. It was a disappointment at the very least, concerning that , there is no argument. However, Ive heard he's mulling over entering the NFL draft and if he gets on with a team and experiences success, he will not necessarily have wasted his college years but he certainly didn't put them to their best possible use.

This year it was a waste, yes. Had he stayed, he was in the discussion pre-2012 season for the Heisman not to mention he was on his way to breaking Bo's all time AU record. He would have been a serious mid to low first round selection. This whole thing has cost him millions.

So Derrick Green? Why are we talking about Dyer?

Because we're out of the running for Green?

Not yet but it's not looking good.

It's that bad? I didn't realize Michigan was that far out in front. Poop.

It's that bad? I didn't realize Michigan was that far out in front. Poop.

Yes it's true. Green had a very close relationship with Luper.

Well, the good news is we have two very good runningbacks committed. Lol.

I'm not overly concerned. With CAP and Wilkins, I think we've got everything we need in this year's class at the RB position...unless we can find a fullback ready to play understudy to The Hulk..

Or unless we find out Wilkins isn't as committed as we thought? Before his injury he seemed to be looking around then when his injury hurt his value he stopped. Now with a bunch of interest from other schol and a change in coaching staff, we will see just how committed he is.

Also, what is the extent of his injury? Everytime I ask I get a different answer on other boards

Or unless we find out Wilkins isn't as committed as we thought? Before his injury he seemed to be looking around then when his injury hurt his value he stopped. Now with a bunch of interest from other schol and a change in coaching staff, we will see just how committed he is.

Also, what is the extent of his injury? Everytime I ask I get a different answer on other boards

He is progressing well. He is jogging and plans on playing on the basketball team next month.. I am just not to sure how committed the new staff is to him.

I've wondered how our staff felt about him considering he doesn't fit the physical profile of most of the backs Malzahn has recruited off the top of my head. I assumed we would keep him just due to the situations with other RB targets. With how he talked about looking around I just assumed it was more him.

I always liked him as a prospect so hopefully this staff feels the same way assuming his injury is progressing well.

No Jonesy!! No more lost commitments I cant take it. :dead: i guess its all part of the process of switching to a new staff. Still I liked Wilkins. Are we targeting different types of backs now? More of the smaller, quicker backs?

I would think Wilkins would fit even better, as a solid pass catcher out of the backfield. I really like him, regardless of what he decides (any kid who is legitimately considering Vandy over other SEC programs that have offered strikes me as having his head screwed on straight...and no, that is in no way a knock on Vandy), but we'll be okay either way; we'll have at least four quality running backs, barring attrition, and while that's a little shorter than I'd want to start, I feel sure we'll get another solid RB if CGM feels we need one.

No Jonesy!! No more lost commitments I cant take it. :dead: i guess its all part of the process of switching to a new staff. Still I liked Wilkins. Are we targeting different types of backs now? More of the smaller, quicker backs?

Why would we be doing that? Ben Tate worked out quite well for Gus's offense. The situation with these guys slipping away (if they truly are) such as Lemond Johnson and Wilkins is starting to not be so funny. When the big, 5* types with a lot of pressure from everybody slip away, that's a little understandable. Losing guys to Tennessee, Vandy and so forth is not good.

"Did we really want them?" or "We're seeking a different direction" is a poor excuse for losing out. We need numbers, time is closing in and this is no time to be letting good prospects fade out of the picture.

Why would we be doing that? Ben Tate worked out quite well for Gus's offense. The situation with these guys slipping away (if they truly are) such as Lemond Johnson and Wilkins is starting to not be so funny. When the big, 5* types with a lot of pressure from everybody slip away, that's a little understandable. Losing guys to Tennessee, Vandy and so forth is not good.

"Did we really want them?" or "We're seeking a different direction" is a poor excuse for losing out. We need numbers, time is closing in and this is no time to be letting good prospects fade out of the picture.

Well for the records I'm with you on this. I'd like to see a 6'0+ 220 4.4 back in the Malzahn offense. He really hasnt had that to my knowledge except for McFadden in Ark but The Righteous Reverend Nutt had the clamps on his offense. I think we should pull out all the stops to get Green and keep Wilkins but I have no idea if GusCo feel the same way.

There is a real possibility we will lose Wilkin's commitment. Just preparing you guys for that.

So if we don't get Green and we don't keep Wilkins, who do we go after?

Corn Elder and Jonathan Ford right now

It is unclear what the new staff's plans are with Wilkins. As for Lemond, he is not a priority for the new staff at this time. They are either looking for or have found other safeties they want. If LJ does not flip to Tennessee then the staff may try to sign him in February. However, it looks like he will flip to Tennessee tomorrow or early next week.

Archived