Joe Moreno to Chick-Fil-A: No Deal

Auburn85

http://articles.chic...e-ward-alderman

A Chicago alderman wants to kill Chick-fil-A's plans to build a restaurant in his increasingly trendy Northwest Side ward because the fast-food chain's top executive vocally opposes gay marriage.

Ald.Proco "Joe" Moreno announced this week that he will block Chick-fil-A's effort to build its second Chicago store, which would be in the Logan Square neighborhood, following company President Dan Cathy's remarks last week that he was "guilty as charged" for supporting the biblical definition of marriage as between a man and woman.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

"If you are discriminating against a segment of the community, I don't want you in the 1st Ward," Moreno told the Tribune on Tuesday.

Moreno stated his position in strong terms, referring to Cathy's "bigoted, homophobic comments" in a proposed opinion page piece that an aide also sent to Tribune reporters. "Because of this man's ignorance, I will now be denying Chick-fil-A's permit to open a restaurant in the 1st Ward."

The alderman has the ideological support of Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

"Chick-fil-A values are not Chicago values," the mayor said in a statement when asked about Moreno's decision. "They disrespect our fellow neighbors and residents. This would be a bad investment, since it would be empty."

Moreno is relying on a rarely violated Chicago tradition known as aldermanic privilege, which dictates that City Council members defer to the opinion of the ward alderman on local issues. Last year Moreno wielded that weapon to block plans for aWal-Martin his ward, saying he had issues with the property owner and thatWal-Martwas not "a perfect fit for the area."

Chick-fil-A already has obtained zoning for a restaurant in the 2500 block of North Elston Avenue, but it must seek council approval to divide the land so it can purchase an out lot near Home Depot, Moreno said.

In opposing Chick-fil-A, Moreno stakes out a position likely to resonate in his hipster ward and much of the rest of the city, where public officials have long cultivated the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. But Moreno also enters the complex intersection of property and free-speech rights.

The alderman, serving his first full term, dismissed any First Amendment concerns.

"You have the right to say what you want to say, but zoning is not a right," he said, adding that he also had concerns about traffic in the area.

Moreno said he has been working on traffic issues for nine months with Chick-fil-A executives. During that period, Moreno also discussed the issue of gay rights, in light of reports that the Cathy family's WinShape Foundation had supported anti-gay organizations, the alderman said.

Company executives assured him they would take no stance on the issue of gay rights and would not discriminate in any fashion at the restaurant, Moreno said.

On Tuesday, Chick-fil-A public relations executives asked for questions to be emailed, then did not respond to them. Attempts to reach the company's local attorney were not successful.

pixel.gif

Cathy was quoted July 16 in the Baptist Press saying he was "guilty as charged" for supporting "the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

Since Cathy made the comments, his company has come under fire in some quarters.

Jim Henson Co., creator of Muppets films and TV shows, withdrew from a deal to create characters for the chain's kids meals and donated payments it had received from Chick-fil-A to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Discrimination.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino told the Boston Herald he would block the chain from opening in his city, but former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee wrote on his Facebook page that he was "incensed at the vitriolic assaults on the Chick-fil-A company."

Cathy is the son of the founder of Chick-fil-A, which opened its first store in suburban Atlanta in 1967. The family is known for espousing its Christian values. It closes on Sundays and Christian holidays.

Rick Garcia, a longtime Illinois gay rights activist who is a policy adviser to The Civil Rights Agenda group that was working with Moreno and Chick-fil-A on LGBT issues, lauded Moreno's decision.

"I think it's important that the city sends a message that we want business here ... but what we can't have and don't want are businesses that have discriminatory roles," Garcia said, adding that he's a defender of free speech.

Moreno, meanwhile, said it will take "more than words" to get him to reverse course.

"They'd have to do a complete 180," the alderman said. "They'd have to work with LGBT groups in terms of hiring, and there would have to be a public apology from (Cathy)."

I've said this other times, for people who preach "tolerance", social lefties are among the most intolerant people when it comes to anything they deem Thoughtcrime.

Everyone, on both sides of the issue, needs to get used to the fact that other people disagree with them and quit being babies over it.

Drove into a CFA this morning, and the place was hoppin' busy. Well after the usual breakfast time rush. Cute sounding girl took my order over the speaker, and when I got up to the window, ANOTHER cute young lass was handing me my food.

I'm sorry, who wants to keep this business from expanding ?

http://chicago.cbslo...n-gay-marriage/

Rahm Emanuel supports alderman's plan to block Chick-Fil-A

CHICAGO (CBS) — Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Wednesday he supports a Chicago alderman’s efforts to block Chick-Fil-A from opening a Chicago restaurant, over the anti-gay views of the company’s president.

Before a Chicago City Council meeting Wednesday, Aldo Proco “Joe” Moreno (1st) confirmed a Chicago Tribune report that he plans to block Chick-Fil-A’s plans for a restaurant in his ward, because of Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy’s public opposition of gay marriage. Moreno said he does not want businesses in the 1st Ward that discriminate against a segment of the community. In the Tribune account, he also called the Cathy’s views on gays and lesbians “bigoted” and “homophobic.”

“I want responsible businesses that have responsible practices in my ward, and my community does,” Moreno said Wednesday, “and if they have a policy that discriminates against a section of our constituency, that’s irresponsible.”

Some aldermen have suggested Moreno’s opposition to a Chick-Fil-A in his ward infringes on free speech, but Mayor Rahm Emanuel stood by Moreno’s stance on Wednesday.

“Chick-Fil-A’s values are not Chicago values,” the mayor said. “They’re not respectful of our residents, our neighbors, and our family members.

And if you’re going to be part of the Chicago community, you should reflect the Chicago values.”

Moreno said he’s willing to reconsider if the company publicly – in writing – promises not to discriminate against gays and lesbians.

The Illinois Family Institute, a group that opposes gay marriage, called Moreno a hypocrite for blocking Chick-Fil-A from coming to his ward because he disagrees with the views of the company’s president.

“Here’s the alderman turning around and being intolerant and discriminatory because somebody has a different view than he does. Would he do that to a Muslim company?” Illinois Family Institute executive director David Smith said.

He was quoted calling the alderman “intolerant and discriminatory because somebody has a different view than he does.”

Chick-Fil-A already has obtained zoning for a planned restaurant in the 2500 block of North Elston Avenue, along a busy corridor dominated by big-box retail. But Chick-Fil-A needs City Council approval to divide the land so it can buy an out lot near Home Depot, according to the Tribune report.

Moreno said Chick-Fil-A told him it would not take a position on gay rights or discriminate against any customers at the Elston Avenue restaurant. But he said even though he has been trying to work with the company for eight or nine months, Chick-fil-A will not put its verbally stated anti-discrimination policy into writing.

He says he wants the policy posted on the wall.

Moreno also says there are zoning issues and traffic concerns surrounding a Chick-Fil-A at the Elston Avenue location.

Chick-Fil-A has drawn a flurry of controversy ever since an article profiling the company ran last week on the Christian news site Baptist Press.

The article largely focuses on the history of the company and its mission to operate on “biblical principles” – from closing on Sunday to, in Cathy’s words, operating a workplace with a mission to “build respect, rapport and relationships with others that opens the gateway to interest people in knowing God.”

But Cathy’s comments toward the end of the article drew the ire gay rights supporters across the country. The article notes that some have opposed Chick-Fil-A’s “support for the traditional family,” and goes on to quote Cathy as saying, “Guilty as charged.”

Cathy is quoted further in the July 16 Baptist Press article: “We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit.

We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

Cathy further expressed his opposition to same-sex marriage in an interview last month on the radio program “The Ken Coleman Show.”

“I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say ‘we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’ and I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about,” Cathy said on the radio program.

The alderman tells the Tribune that denying the zoning request based on Chick-Fil-A’s social views has nothing to do with First Amendment, and “zoning is not a right.”

The Tribune reports Moreno has been working on issues related to traffic with Chick-Fil-A for nine months, and had already had concerns about gay rights after reports that the company had donated millions to anti-gay groups.

A the time, the newspaper reports, the company told Moreno it would not take a position on gay rights or discriminate against any customers at the Elston Avenue restaurant.

Cathy’s comments already have drawn the high-profile ire of some elected officials and other companies. Earlier this week, the Jim Henson Co., the maker of the Muppets, backed out of a deal to make children’s toys for Chick-Fil-A.

“The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over 50 years and we have notified Chick-fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors,” the company said in part in a statement published to Facebook.

Meanwhile, Boston Mayor Thomas Menino has also vowed to block Chick-Fil-A from entering his city at all.

“You called supporters of gay marriage ‘prideful.’ Here in Boston, to borrow your own words, we are ‘guilty as charged,’” Menino said in a letter to Cathy, “We are indeed full of pride for our support of same sex marriage and our work to expand freedom to all people.”

Wednesday night, Chick-Fil-A released a statement saying, “The Chick-Fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.”

Currently, Chick-Fil-A has only one location within the Chicago city limits, at 30 E. Chicago Ave. on the Loyola Water Tower campus. The restaurant also operates Chicago area locations at the Fox Valley center in Aurora, Orland Park, Schaumburg and Wheaton.

Moreno’s 1st Ward includes much of the Avondale, Logan Square, Wicker Park and Ukrainian Village neighborhoods.

Understanding from others is there is a very large homosexual population in that ward.

Let them decide if they want to purchase from the restaurant. My bet...most gay people don't give a crap.

If the restaurant hires and serves gays and non gays equally, what does the personnel beliefs of the chain's president matter?

The Chicago politicians need to fix their murder problem and not worry about personal beliefs.

Of course the mayor ignores the beliefs of others that are not really personal....

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/13996951-418/rahm-welcomes-help-from-farrakahn-ignores-anti-semitic-remarks.html

Why would Chick-fil-A take a position at all on a social issue? The purpose of their business, I assume, is to sell sandwiches.

However, they have taken one and it is controversial.

Viva la free speech. Welcome to America.

What is just as controversial however, are government entities deciding to take action based on the company’s exercise of its right to free speech.

This is where I totally disagree. This is none of any government’s business. None.

Freedom of speech is there to protect the speaker from government. Its biggest test comes with speech we don’t agree with.

In the case of Chick-fil-A the calls for government action (and the threats by government against the business) are in contravention of that right and fail that test.

Menino shouldn’t block Chick-fil-A because of president’s views

EDITORIAL | editorial

THIS STORY APPEARED IN

image-bg.gif

July 25, 2012

The president of Chick-fil-A opposes gay marriage. While this view goes against the grain in a state that made history by embracing it, it’s no reason for Mayor Thomas M. Menino to oppose a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Boston.

The fast food chicken sandwich chain was reportedly looking at property near Faneuil Hall at the location where the Purple Shamrock currently operates. Then company president Dan Cathy stirred national controversy when he said in an interview that “we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.” In response, Menino told the Boston Herald, “Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston. You can’t have a business in the City of Boston that discriminates against a population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion.”

But which part of the First Amendment does Menino not understand? A business owner’s political or religious beliefs should not be a test for the worthiness of his or her application for a business license.

Chick-fil-A must follow all state and city laws. If the restaurant chain denied service to gay patrons or refused to hire gay employees, Menino’s outrage would be fitting. And the company should be held to its statement that it strives to “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation, or gender.” But beyond the fact that Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays, the religious beliefs of the company’s top executive don’t appear to control its operations.

The situation was different when Northeastern University blocked a proposed Chick-fil-A amid student protests. In that case, a private institution made its own decision not to bring the company in as a vendor. But using the power of government to freeze the company out of a city sends a disturbing message to all businesses. If the mayor of a conservative town tried to keep out gay-friendly Starbucks or Apple, it would be an outrage. (Except that doesn’t seem to happen, does it? What I think is funny is that if you have the same view on gay marriage that Obama had when he was elected, now you’re an enemy of humanity or something. It’s some sort of, I don’t know, Liberal Fascism or something.)

Ironically, Menino is citing the specific location along the Freedom Trail as a reason to block Chick-fil-A. A city in which business owners must pass a political litmus test is the antithesis of what the Freedom Trail represents. History will render judgment on the views of Chick-fil-A executives. City Hall doesn’t have to. (The public will either buy their product or not. And they don't need a sanctimonious hypocrite to point them in the direction of PC actions.)

http://articles.boston.com/2012-07-25/editorials/32831191_1_gay-marriage-business-license-freedom-trail

Evidently, Merino is backing down from "actively" preventing CFA from locating in Boston. Good move. It's fine if you don't like their views, but don't politicize it more than it already has been. This isn't what people elect mayors to do.

I wonder, for those who support the alderman in Chicago's move and Merino's initial stance, would they scream about improper political manipulation if a conservative politician manipulated the zoning or licensing and approval process to keep a pro-gay marriage business out of an area? A couple that come to mind are Starbucks and clothing stores like Benetton. Or if they tried to bring political pressure on local grocery stores to stop carrying General Mills products due to their support of same sex marriage? Or is it only a good thing when someone manipulates a situation politically when it's a viewpoint you like?

WIth all the crime & murders rampant in Chicago, does anyone else see the irony in Chicago's mayor claiming Chick-Fil-A doesn't reflect "Chicaco values?" I mean, the city's whole history is replete with mob control & corrupt machine politics -- from Al Capone to Richard Daley to Blagonovitch (sp?) and now Rahm Emmanuel who's last name in Hebrew ironically means, "God is with us."

I'll just say this: when I look around to visit a city in this country for a vacation, Chicago & Boston will be last on my list.

I stopped following Eliza Dushku's twitter feeds over this, as she was bashing CFA. It's a matter of principle. And I don't even frequent CFA all that often, but it IS about the only fast food place I will eat.

Apparently in Chicago it's okay to shoot someone, but you better not get caught eating at Chick-fil-A. They have their Chicago values, you know.

The political leaders have their own values, that they're trying to force on the rest of us. It' s damn near cult like at how that mindset , all across the country, can be found in the major metropolitan centers.

Mike Huckabee has suggested August 1 be Chick Fil A Day. I hardly ever go to one but I will August 1......maybe three times.

Understanding from others is there is a very large homosexual population in that ward.

Let them decide if they want to purchase from the restaurant. My bet...most gay people don't give a crap.

If its the area I'm thinking it is then it is where the gay bars are, and where they have like a major gay annual gay parade. believe Merino is also gay. So that's why the major uprising on it.

I was talking with some people up here about it, and like everyone else think its silly and dumb move on Chicago's part. Friends up here say the guy will get the backing from the people as alot of them like to jump in on causes.

I kinda just agree with the guy that said its not hard... its Chicago politics.....Chic didn't pay him enough. Which might actually be the truth.

I don't have a problem if a group of gay people and their supporters in their fight for gay 'marriage' want to boycott CFA. That's their choice, as is the the corresponding "Support Chick Fil A" movement in response. In fact, there are people right now who are boycotting Starbucks for the exact opposite reason...Starbucks as a company, not just the CEOs personal feelings, has come out in support of SSM. What you haven't heard anything about? Conservative Christian politicians threatening to use the political or zoning processes to prevent Starbucks from opening locations in their city or district.

Mike Huckabee has suggested August 1 be Chick Fil A Day. I hardly ever go to one but I will August 1......maybe three times.

Prolly gonna be a mad house. I"m in.

Basically Chicago and Boston mayors are saying change your religious beliefs or else. So if you are in any of the following politically unpopular personal belief areas, you need to change your thinking or your business needs to leave:

- oppose abortion

- oppose birth control

- oppose women as ministers/ priests

- oppose gay life style

The vast majority of businesses owned by religious people trip one of more of these. I wonder if these mayors are asking certain Christian hospitals and schools to move or close in their cities?

Archived