Advice For My AU Bound Son

Mike4AU

My youngest is headed to Auburn in 12 days. He will be a freshman, pre-engineering student. I have been thinking of appropriate advice to give him and decided on showing him this Youtube video. Sure would save me a ton of money for him to heed this advice.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated in '10. The advice I give to most of those I see headed to college is to make as many friends as possible. At least acquaintances. Everybody is from someplace different and is headed somewhere with their life. You never know who you will meet today in this class or at this event that will become a helping hand later. College is the best place to start your own network that will be vital in the future. Don't just hang out with people you knew in high school or those first five people you met at orientation. Branch out.

Also, if you have a scholarship, don't blow all of your freshman classes because you won't be able to get that scholarship back. (Experience)

You can bring yourself back from a 1.5 freshman GPA to a 3.7 overall GPA, but it takes quite a bit of effort and a lot of "no"s to party invitations. (Also experience)

Good luck and War Eagle!

I graduated in '10. The advice I give to most of those I see headed to college is to make as many friends as possible. At least acquaintances. Everybody is from someplace different and is headed somewhere with their life. You never know who you will meet today in this class or at this event that will become a helping hand later. College is the best place to start your own network that will be vital in the future. Don't just hang out with people you knew in high school or those first five people you met at orientation. Branch out.

Also, if you have a scholarship, don't blow all of your freshman classes because you won't be able to get that scholarship back. (Experience)

You can bring yourself back from a 1.5 freshman GPA to a 3.7 overall GPA, but it takes quite a bit of effort and a lot of "no"s to party invitations. (Also experience)

Good luck and War Eagle!

THIS x1000.

Also, going hand-in-hand with the friends thing, make sure you get to know people in your classes that are willing to study together. I spent countless ours in the dungeons of Broun Hall going over and over course material with a community of people who were always down there together. Probably learned more from those sessions than I did actually attending class.

Also also, get to know the professors and don't be afraid to ask for help

Good luck and War Eagle!

THIS x1000.

Also, going hand-in-hand with the friends thing, make sure you get to know people in your classes that are willing to study together. I spent countless ours in the dungeons of Broun Hall going over and over course material with a community of people who were always down there together. Probably learned more from those sessions than I did actually attending class.

Also also, get to know the professors and don't be afraid to ask for help

The Green Room will be his home away from home. WDE and congrats to you and your son.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived