Quick vows to fight cancerous brain tumor - from Auburn Undercover

AUSportTalk

Auburn swimming and diving coach Richard Quick vows to fight after being diagnosed with an inoperable cancerous brain tumor.

We’re currently in the process of looking for the best care possible to fight this,” Quick said. “I want to thank the countless individuals that have passed along their well wishes, thoughts and prayers.”

Quick is major figure nationally in swimming and diving. He is a six-time Olympic coach and has directed 12 teams to NCAA championships..

Quick, who served as Auburn's head coach from 1978-82, took over the Tiger program for a second time in 2007, replacing David Marsh.

Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs offered support to Quick.

“Richard is such an energetic person, has an incredibly positive attitude, and is bound by his faith,” Jacobs said. “I know that he’s going to meet this

challenge head on, just as he has done with every endeavor he’s encountered. We ask the Auburn family to keep Richard and his family in

their thoughts and prayers.”

Under Quick's direction, Brett Hawke will oversee the men’s team, while Dorsey Tierney-Walker will run the women’s program.

A 17-time All-American swimmer at Auburn from 1997-99, Hawke has

served as an assistant since 2006. The Sydney, Australia, native and two-time Olympian served as a Brazilian National Team assistant coach during the 2008 Beijing Summer Games.

Tierney-Walker, who is in her fourth season as the co-head women’s swimming coach, has helped lead the women’s program to a pair of NCAA team titles in 2006 and 2007. A 16-time All-American swimmer at Texas, Tierney-Walker previously served as the head coach at

Indiana for seven seasons.

While the head coach of both the men's and women's programs at

Auburn from 1978-82, Quick built the foundation for where the program is

today with a combined four top 10 finishes.

Quick captured seven NCAA titles at Stanford and five at Texas, tied with Marsh for the most in Division I history.

Quick, 65, served as the head women's swimming and diving coach at Stanford for 17 seasons from 1988-2005. Prior to his arrival at Stanford, Quick led the Texas women to a then-unprecedented five straight NCAA titles (1984-88), a string he extended to six in a row in his first season at Stanford.

I think it's awesome that we get the best coaches in the country.  He obviously has a great work ethic, which I'm sure will translate into a great will to live.  I really hope he makes it through this because he sounds like a great guy.

Archived