Why banish WARTIM?

jaydubb121

I think the main problem with WT is that the tone is in the eye of the beholder. Whoever wishes to be offended will be, and then it spirals downward from there.

It's why I never go to a game with him unarmed. :lol:

Controversial is/was not the problem. Being a presence that constantly fueded with rivals and brought down the quality of half the threads started is a problem.

Again, keep in mind, Wartim was not banned - that is the nature of suspension, something which could have been handled privately so Wartim was aware of our concerns and then handled without fanfare. Obviously, WarTim has spoken to jaydubb and wishes it to be public and so now it is.

As for did anyone request this, yes, all of the moderators pretty much requested it because we are all tired of having to constantly edit and delete theads/posts that he is involved in. Keep in mind, that every single moderator and admin on this board started as a poster either here or the original WEN, just like the rest of you. So as well as being moderators, we are fans of AU Sports and this site - and would like to enjoy it as well as moderate it. If one fan taking up that much of our efforts - steps need to be taken to resolve.

We have suspended other members who have come back and been able to enjoy this site to its full potential. There is no reason WarTim can't do the same.

As we've said, we haven't outlawed good natured ribbing or even well-deserved smack when the poster deserves it. We had reached our limit with WarTim and dealt with it accordingly. He hasn't been kicked off permanently, just given a week's vacation to cool off and get some perspective. No one requested a suspension, and such requests would not be acted upon unless the owner of the site or the mods and admins felt it was warranted anyway, regardless of any requests made or who made them.

I can give and take smack talk with rivals with the best of them. I'm not shy about doing that. But I also know the difference between rivals who deserve it and who are constantly asking for it and those who frequent this board and are good members of this community. Being a rival fan here will not render you automatically subject to unending barbs and cheap shots. We can sit here and split hairs all day, but I believe the vast majority know there are reasonable limits to the amount of antagonistic provocation one should be expected to endure.

Let's not forget that this is a FREE forum that David has allowed us to post our OPINIONS on. When it's obvious that someone is acting like a pest and is also generously given a break from the site by the OWNER, what reason do you have for getting so bent out of shape? Why would you even care? :huh:

It's free but some of us contribute voluntarily. I conclude you don't ;)

what the heck does that mean? I hope you aren't applying that admins and mods get paid, b/c if that is the case - I'm due back payslips dating back to 2001!

A correction on your assumption. Actually it was Titan Tiger that made the ultimatum on a post Friday afternoon that made the situation public. In that posting he was given the choice of leaving or shaping up. Unfortunately he was not given the choice of shaping up before he was suspended. The fact that he is suspended is public knowledge by clicking on the list of suspended users. I'm not a puppet for the evil WarTim regime. I am his friend. You should get your story straight before you start the whole assumption game as to who "outed" who.

Guest AuNuma1
what the heck does that mean? I hope you aren't applying that admins and mods get paid, b/c if that is the case - I'm due back payslips dating back to 2001!

Yeah, I didn't catch that one either...

Well chuck, I wasn't counting the mods. ;) I was just stating that no regular member called for him to be suspended. Specifically, SouthLink did not complain once to the mods about him. In fact, I can't remember any regular rival poster here that has ever come running to us asking for any member giving them a harder time than warranted be dealt with.

I guarantee you 99% of the folks on this board would have had 0 knowledge of WarTim's suspension if hadn't taken up the cry for him. However, your complaining about an administration group who has succesfully run this FREE site since 1999 has guaranteed that everyone will know about it.

Trust me, I am WELL aware of how this board works and how it is run - so I wouldn't worry about my story.

I did call WarTim out in public on Friday. David was the one who decided that more than a warning was needed and gave him a 7 day vacation.

You answered my questions a long time ago TT. It's cool with me. No Southlink, no one has said that all. I don't think if you read all the posts on this thread that that has been stated anywhere.

This thread should be killed, I got the info I was wanting already.

Chuck , all I did was ask. I wasn't complaining.

He thinks I got him suspended?  :rolleyes:

He didn't say that SLink. I was just dealing with what I thought might be an unspoken question out there because it was his argument with you that immediately preceded his suspension.

I think jaydubb's suggestion is a good one. Time for this thread to die. We've said about all there is to say on this. I know everyone's tolerance level for certain behavior is different and probably depends on many factors. Our jobs as mods is to allow for as much free discourse as possible while keeping this a generally fun and hospitable place for those who respect it. In all the time we've been running this board, we've only permanently banned about 5 or so people. And even a couple of those, who came only to be buttholes and flame AU, had people here who didn't want them banned.

There is no way to make everyone happy when stuff like this happens. We just do the best we can not to let this site become the free-for-all that other sites have degenerated into over time. Sometimes that means you have to lower the boom, even if only for a week.

Okay drama queens...

1) I did not make the suspension public.

2) WT and I go back several years, to other boards.

3) I was off the board almost a week for personal off time, a vacation.

4) I came back and read some really childish crapola from WT directed toward several valued members of this board.

5) I/WE have a few rules:

a) No Nude Pics/Babe threads

B ) No cursing.

c) No namecalling

d) Leave the players alone, do not post player's names and criticisms. They are kids and they are our kids while at AU. Criticise positions, coaches, playcalling, fans, uniforms, etc. Leave the kids alone on a personal level.

e) If you post info on a thread, there WILL be a link, or citation, to the article, etc.

f) One, I guess, unwritten rule was to ACT MATURELY.

Tim and I are friends. Tim and I are both probably too passionate about our Auburn Tigers. I respect that passion in the Bama, LSU, and UGA folks too. But acting like a mature adult means that you must be civil in discourse. IE, Chuck and I were at one time the most adversarial of posters on this board. He was the first guy I asked to be an admin. Tiger Al and I are pretty intense at times. Heck Al has even called me a liar a time or three? ;) Guess what? He was recently made a Mod.

You see, mature folks can have tough disputes, but it shoulod never become just UGLY.

You want to talk to me some more about it? Send a PM.

Archived