AU vs. Elon Game #2

6-3...Trent Mummey Solo HR...6th inning ended on double play...You have to keep opponents away from big innings in baseball to win...These guys seem to have the heart to come back though...

Elon is a very, very good baseball team that only lost 18 games last season and went to the Regionals, something we didn't do. Hopefully with Burnside on the mound today, Auburn will bounce back!!

Yeah!  Elon won 44 games last year.  They have a great bullpen and very good hitting.  Sportstalk was telling me yesterday that he spoke to a College Baseball Expert yesterday that believes they have what it takes to be a two seed going into regionals at the end of the season.  I had heard, before the series started that they were worried about their pitching because of how much they lost after last season, but they looked pretty solid.  I hope our guys can take this series and learn from it.  The bullpen worries me, though.  I am confident that our coaches will figure out the best guys to run out there when our starters exit.  I just hope that they will be good enough...

After day one, I was hoping AU pitchers were showing signs of keeping the ball inside the park...Days 2 &3 proved otherwise...Usually hitters struggle early in the season more so than pitchers, though both have to work into rhythm as the season progresses...The pattern of Shuman, Hurst and Thompson coming into the game in crucial moments and giving up the long ball (especially Shuman) has to be curbed this year...Actually, I'd rather lose early while working out the kinks than win most of the pre-SEC games, build up a false hope, then fail miserably in conference play...Hitting should only improve this year while it's already showing promise...I agree that Coach Pawlowski is smart enough to discover the right starting rotation, then find the correct relief rotation for those crucial moments in a game...Sometimes finding that rotation takes a while...I just hope he has enough pitching talent to make some real noise this year.  If they can find consistency, they'll be OK...I'm sure he already knows, however, he'll have to beef up the staff in recruiting...Of the 11 early signees, I'd say he's already begun....

Yeah i totally agree with you on the recruiting pitchers. I think Coach Pawlowski knows that he needs a couple guys step up in the pen in order to do anything special this year. If he can't find anyone that is strong enough in the pen to hold onto leads then we are in for a VERY LONG year. I think so far Coach Paw and his staff have done a great job at recruiting talented pitchers

Something does need to be said about our untimely hitting...This is as much a pattern as what the bullpen has shown...Granted, it's very early, and Coach Paw is experimenting with pinch hitters, but this cost us games last year as well...Some of it is mental; some of it due to fine pitching by the opponent...It will be nice to see us work into a pattern of getting the big hit with runners in scoring position when the game is on the line...I'm not sure what all Coach tried yesterday, but I may have squeezed with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out down by one...The old staff was not good at manufacturing that precious run...Since we play FSU again this year, we need to take note of how Coach Martin does it as he is definitely one of the best...

Very true.  And  I don't know if you were able to watch in person or listen on the radio, but if so, you'd have noticed that they were jumping all over first and second pitches.  It really seemed to hurt them because it was happening far too often.  I would think that would be addressed and hopefully fixed by the staff.  It is ok every now and then to go after meat pitches early in the count, but there is no way all of those guys were seeing meat on the first or second pitch every time they stepped to the plate.  They really need to have more patience, it seems.

Well, till I'm able to get down there, which should be soon, or the games are broadcast, I have to follow by GameTracker....I miss plenty of the subtle nuances of the game because of that...But, patience at the plate can never be overstated...I admit, I've been on the other end of the argument where I've watched batters dig themselves a hole by taking a very good thrown first strike, not necessarily a curve ball, then swing and miss a bad second pitch...Last year I became very frustrated at my nephew's JUCO team, as well as the Braves, for that...Nephew's team played poorly the first half of the season, in part, due to digging that hole...But, as they began to get hot, patience, with improved discipline at the plate,  really began to pay off and they went on to win the state and take second in the nation...

Archived