AU vs. Ark.: Game 3

6-1, Top 4th...AU has committed 2 errors, and is looking more and more like the last few years in SEC play...UA has out-hit AU 8-2...Harper is pitching for AU now with one on and one out.

6-1, End 4th...Gilmer grounded into double play...Ark. is pitching a freshman who has faced 17 batters and given up only 3 hits, 0 ER, and 3 BB...He has also struck out 3...

11-2, top 7th...O'Neil to pitch for Harper...Must be nice to have SEC-caliber pitching and hitting...Today, they have both; AU has neither...

12-6, Final...AU did show some come-back heart...Final lines: UA - 12 R, 17 H, 3 Err.; AU - 6 R, 12 H, 4 Err.

Burnside took the loss for AU...AU drops to 15-8, 2-4...

Man, this weekend was a bummer.  Very disheartining.  That may be the best team that we face all year, though.  They are very good, swept a talented Florida team last weekend.  We just need to move on and hope some guys step up in the bullpen.  We also need Burnside or someone else to step up as a starter.

Yeah, I feel bad for Coach Paw being left so few adequate arms...It makes no sense, since everything begins with pitching in baseball, but when you consider that we always signed so many big names which never made it here, it's a little more understandable...It's also very impractical, if you don't also sign a solid core of pitchers that will make it to campus...Arkansas has a good team, but, if you think no one can hit as well or better than them in the conference, you may be kidding yourself...Right now, though there is plenty of baseball to be played, 9 teams have better batting averages, including Auburn, than Arkansas...Four teams have better ERAs than them...You have to consistently win series to make the tournament...That means those close games on Friday and Saturday are crucial, and AU has to find a way to win them...I realize that a lot of pitching is situational, but I was disappointed that Blatt never saw the mound this weekend (unless he has an injury that I am not aware of).

Archived