AU vs. USA - Stanky Field

Like I said in another thread, this power surge we've had is starting to hurt us at times, believe it or not.  The wind was gusting in from the outfield all night.  You can't expect to hit a bunch of homers in those conditions.  South is down this year and we should have beat them.  We have to make some adjustments and get back out there and beat them at P.P. tonight.

Coach Paw is confusing me a little: he has said a few times that AU has to get more creative especially when the long ball isn't there...The wind was not in the hitters' favor on Sunday, either, yet better small ball could have made us more competitive and perhaps pulled out a win...My question is, if the creativity begins with the signs of the coach, why aren't Mummey and other speedy batters laying it down more...Mummey is definitely slumping and will probably come out of it soon, but, as he mentioned the other day, he had gone back to hitting with more power like in high school...Nothing wrong with that when you're seeing the ball well, and everything is finding the gap, but when it isn't, you have to use your other strengths and catch the defense off guard when they're playing back...Heck, Samford laid down back-to-back bunts last night to open an inning, got a huge rally going, and won going away.  Again, if the creativity begins with the head coach, where is the break down?  Not trying to throw off on Coach Paw, 'cause he's doing a fine job so far overall with what he has, but I thought he pulled Jacobs too quickly on Saturday in game 2...The game was still 5-2, and considering aluminum bats and AU's ability to come back, relatively stable starting pitching could have kept us close enough to mount a comeback.  Of course, if Jacobs' arm was hurting or something, he had to pull him.  Creative batting would have factored in that game, too.

Archived