Auburn Denies UCLA in 2010

rbwareagle34

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playing Clemson and UCLA in a three-week span is not very practical, either...There are, however, a lot of AU fans upset with this move...Does the prestige and exposure of a nationally televised game against a very recognizable name in a huge media market being played 1.5 hours away, where AU would have a decided home-field advantage, outweigh the revenue of the city of Auburn for one game?  AU would obviously receive a big check for the game as well.  I see the short-term benefits of not playing it, and perhaps more long term benefits, including national recruiting (which we are doing more of these days), of playing it...The relative status of either team's ability at the time of the game should not be an issue at all, but the haters will definitely accuse AU of wanting to wait till 2012 because of where AU's program is currently perceived to be (just lke they postponed Penn State till 2010).  I hope AU does get a game of this type in 2012, though.

I don't like we would only have 7 home games for 2 years but I don't beleive that we would come out on the short end of this.  Just the exposure itself would be worth it.  I'd rather have a packed Georgia Dome with Au fans to see a PAC 10 team than 70,000 to see arky st in JHS.  With what uat got for the Clemson game last year and us paying arky state 1 mill we'd make MORE $$ going to Atlanta.  Plus we wouldn't have the negative stigma right now.  It's time for jacobs to step down or we need to get on the firejayjacobs.com web site and demand his firing.  He is not able to do this job!!!

We'll never be considered for a national champion as long as we keep playing the Chattanooga's & Furman's of the world.

Here's what some AU fans posted on al.com about JJ turning that game down.

Oh well when the Tigers come up short of BCS points because of their patsy schedule I don't want to hear a word about how Auburn has been screwed over again....Jay Here was your chance to put the Tigers in the Limelight and you chickened out. Not Auburn, Not Coach Chesnik, Not the Auburn players but you Jay (Chicken ) Jacobs.

Here we go again....new staff, same ol story. Put some freakin teams on our schedule, especially when it would be at the GA Dome...a home game for us. I know we have Clemson but they will be in their 2nd year of a new coach and who knows how good they will be yet. So we keep Chattanooga, La-Monroe, and Ark State?? Woohoo

Our big out of conference competition the past few years:

West Virginia, Kansas St, Was St, ????. Think you have to go back to 2003 when we played USC to find a really good team.

:believe:

I think Jacobs screwed up on this one. However, maybe this will be the start of something that would benefit AU more than playing against UCLA, and that something would be getting Jay Jacobs the hell out of AU. He has made AU a laughing stock. He needs to be put out to pasture, the sooner the better.

I don't wonder about little JJ. We've all seen him to be nothing but clueless.

Hello kettle, meet the pot.......

Glad to see so many people agree that jay jacobs has had his chances and not performed at all.  It's time to contact Dr. Gogue (again for many of us) and demand his resignation.

Look guys....knock it off!! Jay Jacobs hasn't done anything wrong on this subject. He already had Clemson scheduled for a home and home so he didn't have room for them. He did counter offer UCLA and told them he would like to work something out for the years after Clemson.

This is one subject alot of us don't agree on. Jay needs to be replaced with a REAL AD. Little JJ has screwed up way too many times.

Look I have had enough of hearing about what Jay has done wrong......why doesn't someone step up and put yourself in his shoes and tell me what you would have done different. Jay has made some mistakes but he has done some great things for Auburn and he is a true Auburn man at heart!

Yeah, he sure did. He walked onto the team and lettered in 82' and 83'. He also started at offensive tackle for the 1983 SEC Championship team that finished #3 nationally.

AUsportstalk, we're just going to disagre on this.  I think he messed up on several hires and NOT hired anyone of significance, he allowed the new pool to be built short, he now has made us a laughing stock AGAIN.  I'm sick of his not doing anything right IMO.  You're defending him... tell us what you think he has done right, please.

JJ may have not been the right person for the job when he started but I believe he is the right man now..

He is definitely an Auburn man. This is the first Ive heard about UCLA but who really cares..Its not like its USC

JMO...

Here is a list and I can keep going if you would like me to:

First of all since he has been the Athletic Director Auburn has been honored 4 times by the NCAA for strong academics in athletics and scoring 90-100% in the APR.

As the Senior Associate Athletics Director in charge of Tigers Unlimited from 2001-05, Jacobs oversaw the fund-raising efforts that secured approximately $60 million in gifts the last three years. He spearheaded a $90 million capital campaign, the largest in Auburn athletics history.

He helped Auburn get the HUGE contract with Under Armour for ALL Auburn sports. 5 years/10.6 Million in addition to getting FREE uniforms, apparel, cleats, and equipment.

He also helped Auburn get a contract with ISP Sports for 5.8 Million annually instead of 2.4 Million a year under the old contract.

He also hired two of the best basketball coaches we have had in Jeff Lebo and Nell Fortner. I know he made a mistake by hiring Slater but IMO I think he hit a homerun with Pawlowski.

He also helped Auburn get the 2.9 Million dollar HD Video board in Jordan-Hare

Hired a very good swimming coach in Richard Quick and they have continued to dominate the pool in the SEC and NCAA.

Helped get the new track and tennis facility for the Auburn track and field and tennis teams.

He also helped Auburn land one of the best and most state of the art basketball arenas in the country.

**I also think he hired the right Auburn man for the head coaching job. A matter of my own opinion but he has done ALOT for Auburn and will continue to bust his tail for Auburn and he always does it the RIGHT WAY. If you know anyone and I mean anyone that DOESN'T any mistakes and knows alot about Auburn sports please contact Jay Gouge**

Not to belabor the point but:

Nikki Borges was the main person responsible for the UnderArmor deal. 

If memory serves, Coaches Fortner and Lebo were hired prior to jj coming on board.

Any AD should be able to fundraise with Auburn's alums, connections to money,etc. but I won't dispute your numbers, but I contend a trained monkey could to about the same.

He has been in office during facility upgrades but I wonder how much was done as his ideas or if they were already in the pipeline, which they were.  By the way, where is the 100 yard indoor facility?

As I said, we'll just disagree on this point but I for one, and I am not alone, don't think he is capable of managing a multimillion dollar business.

P.S.  Am I still invited to the tailgate?!?!

LOL

Archived