AU vs. USC: Rubber Game

7-3, Mid 6th.  Double plays with runners on, 1-pitch line outs and fly outs, and the usual lack of quality pitching are hurting the Tigers...

8-4, Bot. 7th...Shuman gave up solo HR - 3rd of day for USC and 2nd of day for their catcher.  Shuman then hit a batter and has been replaced by Blatt.

10-4, USC, End 7th: Kelley got a line out, a sac fly to center, and a strike out, but gave up an RBI single.  USC has out-hit AU, 11-8.

I really don't think Coach Paw is mixing the starters and relievers well, either...All four pitchers yesterday are right-handed, and three of them throw a similar type of ball - they can bring he heat, but their fastballs can be too straight...Not sure about Kelley, because I haven't seen him yet.  The three Saturday pitchers, also right-handed, may have less velocity but have pretty nasty stuff - especially Hubbard.  Granted, Hubbard is the closer and his work is situational...The Hendrix-Hubbard combo is working well, but Hendrix may need to be a weekend starter.  We really miss Luckie as another lefty option, and I think we should keep the hitters off balance a little more with different types of pitchers within the same game.  One thing I'll give Coach Ray Tanner of USC credit for: he allows his pitchers to work through trouble, permits mistakes within reason, while letting his starter go as deep as possible.  Even if you lose a few games here and there doing it that way, the starter becomes a more mature pitcher in the long run.

Very true!  It is a confidence builder.  I think maybe they should give Hendrix a crack at a weekend start, but what do I know?  Ha!  They know a lot more than me.  I believe this coaching staff is gonna be good.  They just need to get some of their own recruits in there.  Slater didn't give them a lot to work with pitching wise.  Also, as you touched on, at this level it doesn't matter how hard you throw.  If it is straight, it will get hit and get hit hard.

LOL, you're right...I'm just rambling on 'cause we all know our pitching stinks and I want it to be so much better...I still believe it can be better with what we have, but most of it probably won't improve till better ones get here as you say.  I just can't stand giving up on any team, in any year, for any reason!

That is exactly what I've been trying to figure out the past little bit.  Can it get better with what we have?  I believe it can improve enough to get us in the postseason.  It is just all about them figuring out who to use in what situations and all.  So frustrating!

Yeah, it is frustrating...We're in 8th place at the moment in the SEC and would make the tournament, if it started today...We've got LSU in BR this weekend and that usually makes you cringe, but UT went down there and took the series, so we can, too.  LSU may be a little overrated; they may also be a little mad.  They're best at winning close games, so our bats will have to come alive against their solid pitching.  We should take, at least, 2 of 3 from UK; Ole Miss will be tough, but their overall #s don't scare me; we'll have to step up huge on the mound and at the plate to take the series against Bama - something tells me we'll rise to the occasion that final weekend.

Yeah, it is frustrating...We're in 8th place at the moment in the SEC and would make the tournament, if it started today...We've got LSU in BR this weekend and that usually makes you cringe, but UT went down there and took the series, so we can, too.  LSU may be a little overrated; they may also be a little mad.  They're best at winning close games, so our bats will have to come alive against their solid pitching.  We should take, at least, 2 of 3 from UK; Ole Miss will be tough, but their overall #s don't scare me; we'll have to step up huge on the mound and at the plate to take the series against Bama - something tells me we'll rise to the occasion that final weekend.

I hate to say it but I really think the home series against Bama will determine whether we are heading to Hoover or staying at home.

I hate to say it but I really think the home series against Bama will determine whether we are heading to Hoover or staying at home.

You really believe it will come down to that, or did you mean to say we won't be in the race that weekend?

I really think that it is gonna come down to the Bama weekend whether we make it or not.......as tight as the race is right now.

I think we win 1 @ LSU

We must win 2 against Ole Miss at home

We must win atleast 2 against Kentucky

then it will come down to the Bama series to make it or sit at home.....if we take 2 in the Bama series we are in anything less we are out.

Gotcha.  I feel pretty much the same way...I know we're facing solid pitching, but our bats are better than what we're showing.  If we get hot again, watch out SEC...Sadly, it could go the other way, too, and get ugly.  I really don't like being on the edge of my seat all the time when we're pitching, either.

Archived