NCAA Expected to Implement New Rules on Unofficial Visits

AUSportTalk

Indianapolis, IN. (AP) -- In an effort to tap the brakes on increasingly aggressive recruiting tactics in college football on-campus recruiting, NCAA officials are fast-tracking new rules which clarify permissible activities on unofficial visits by recruits. Sources within the NCAA report an unusual number of inquiries from Division I compliance offices about the "Big Cat Weekend" held in Auburn, Alabama this weekend.

Why the outcry? Fair competition for the best of the best high school athletes. Over 20 highly ranked recruits made an unofficial visit to Auburn this weekend, and participated in an array of games and fun, culminating in a visit to the historic Toomer's Corner Saturday night. Video of the events show the recruits surrounded by a throng of rabid students and fans as they simulate the Auburn post-game tradition.

According to NCAA Bylaws on recruitment, an unofficial visit to a member institution by a prospective student-athlete is " . . . a visit made at the prospective student-athlete's own expense." The provision of any expenses or entertainment valued at more than $100 by the institution or representatives of its athletics interests shall require the visit to become an official visit, except as permitted in Bylaws 13.5 and 13.7.

A high ranking official within the NCAA indicated that events during the weekend of unofficial visits at Auburn University did not appear to clearly violate current Bylaws. However, on condition of anonymity, the official indicated that communications to all Division I compliance officials was to be issued this week in an effort to head off a feared escalation of "Big Cat Weekend" clones by other Division I coaching staffs.

It sounds some bammers have been emailing the NCAA about "Tiger Prowl" and now "Big Cat Weekend". They are going to try everything they can to get the NCAA to do something to get us.

I think it's great.  Our coaches are pushing the envelope.  The NCAA can't find anything wrong but think what we did was just a little too good.  Brilliant!  These guys know what they are doing!

This staff is showing sings of new life with AUsome ideas to get recruits to stand up and take notice of us. That's something the old staff had not shown since the 2004 season.

First Tiger Prowl and now "Big Cat". I love it.

Archived