Movie Discussions

bow9den

I'l be honest I went to make sure i got this right because to me as an American this is the best movie that will ever be made that accurately portrays World War II and what to me is the most important generation there has been since the revolutionary war.  I didn't want to screw it up here is to the troops that still fight for our freedom, whether either political side thinks what they are doing is right or wrong......it's their duty and here is to them.

Captain Miller: Private, I'm afraid I have some bad news for ya. Well, there isn't any real easy way to say this, so, uh, so I'll just say it. Your brothers are dead. We have, uh, orders to come get you, 'cause you're going home.

Pvt. James Frederick, Ryan: [starts sobbing] Oh, my God, my brothers are dead. I was gonna take 'em fishing when we got home. How - How did they die?

Captain Miller: They were killed in action.

Pvt. James Frederick, Ryan: No, that can't be. They're both - That... That can't be. My brothers are still in grammar school.

Captain Miller: You're James Ryan?

Pvt. James Frederick, Ryan: Yeah.

Captain Miller: James Francis Ryan from Iowa?

Pvt. James Frederick, Ryan: James Frederick Ryan, Minnesota.

[the whole crew looks embarrassed]

Pvt. James Frederick, Ryan: Well, does that - does that mean my brothers are OK?

Captain Miller: Yeah, I'm sure they're fine.

Here is probably the best quote of the movie after they have been trying to figure out what Captain Miller did back home in the States, they had bets on what he did.

Captain Miller: I'm a schoolteacher. I teach English composition... in this little town called Adley, Pennsylvania. The last eleven years, I've been at Thomas Alva Edison High School. I was a coach of the baseball team in the springtime. Back home, I tell people what I do for a living and they think well, now that figures. But over here, it's a big, a big mystery. So, I guess I've changed some. Sometimes I wonder if I've changed so much my wife is even going to recognize me, whenever it is that I get back to her. And how I'll ever be able to tell her about days like today. Ah, Ryan. I don't know anything about Ryan. I don't care. The man means nothing to me. It's just a name. But if... You know if going to Rumelle and finding him so that he can go home. If that earns me the right to get back to my wife, then that's my mission.

[to Private Reiben]

Captain Miller: You want to leave? You want to go off and fight the war? All right. All right. I won't stop you. I'll even put in the paperwork. I just know that every man I kill the farther away from home I feel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just know that every man I kill the farther away from home I feel.

This is very profound. I can't add anything else to it, but a big thank you and a prayer each night for their safety.

• 4 weeks later...

That movie was incredible. The effects were amazing, the colors were beautiful, the 3D was insane. Do yourself a favor and go see that movie. The story may be a bit predictable but it doesn't even matter by the time the movie is over.

That movie was incredible. The effects were amazing, the colors were beautiful, the 3D was insane. Do yourself a favor and go see that movie. The story may be a bit predictable but it doesn't even matter by the time the movie is over.

yep I saw it 4 times the first 5 days it was out, awesome 3-d :thumbsup:

yep I saw it 4 times the first 5 days it was out, awesome 3-d :thumbsup:

I am Avatar's biggest marketer, I cannot tell enough people about it.  rb, great evaluation, exactly what I say.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Road House today for the first time in a long time............ classic!

Emmett: It ain't the money ya understand, but if I don't charge ya somethin' the Presbyterians around here are likely to pray for my ruination. How does a hundred dollars a month strike ya?

Dalton: Fine.

Emmett: Can ya afford that much?

Dalton: If it keeps you in the good graces of the church.

Emmett: Ain't it peculiar how money seems to do that very thing?

gotta love Roadhouse

I tell yall... a movie that I saw recently "Legend of the Fall" -- was freaking awesome. I really enjoyed it.

I know its an old movie but I had never seen it all the way through... def glad that I finally did.

The Book of Eli: 8.5/10

This was a really good movie. The plot unfolds in such a way that you think you may know what's going on, only to find out that you had no idea. I won't get into any spoilers because I want you to go see it for yourself. I can guarantee your money will be well spent.  :thumbsup:

This was a really good movie. The plot unfolds in such a way that you think you may know what's going on, only to find out that you had no idea. I won't get into any spoilers because I want you to go see it for yourself. I can guarantee your money will be well spent.  :thumbsup:

I really want to see it... probably will very soon. Looks awesome.

gonna see halloween 2 next month                                                                                                                                                      dr. loomis: let me make this clear michael myers is dead d-e-a-d.                                                                    laurie strode: im not me.                                                                                                                           mya rockwell : who are you then?                                                                                                                                                    laurie strode: im michael myers sister.                                                                                                                                                        barbara collier: so how are you feeling?                                                                                                                                                    laurie strode: nightmares are chewing at my head again...they just seem to be getting worse.                                                                                                                                                 laurie strode: i killed him... i killed him.                                                                                                                                                         sherrif brackett: who'd you kill sweetie? who'd you kill?                                                                                                                                                      laurie strode:...i killed him                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Most of the people I know hated Halloweed 2 (zombies version)-- but I really enjoyed it. Im a true horror fan buff, so I guess it suits my taste

Guest Autiger88

I really want to see it... probably will very soon. Looks awesome.

I want to see it to seems really good

Not much into Cena flicks myself but good luck!

Anybody else think "Watchmen" was boring? Wayyyyy too drawn out for my taste.

IMO Great movies:

- Star Trek

- Anchorman

- Pursuit of Happyness

- 7 Pounds

- Independence Day

- Tropic Thunder (freaking hilarious)

- South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

The film making of the watchmen was incredible... but the story line was boring and not much to offer as a super hero type movie.

I loved all the other movies you mentioned... especially Tropic Thunder, 7 pounds, and Star Trek.

Guest Autiger88

Not much into Cena flicks myself but good luck!

Anybody else think "Watchmen" was boring? Wayyyyy too drawn out for my taste.

IMO Great movies:

- Star Trek

- Anchorman

- Pursuit of Happyness

- 7 Pounds

- Independence Day

- Tropic Thunder (freaking hilarious)

- South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

The film making of the watchmen was incredible... but the story line was boring and not much to offer as a super hero type movie.

I loved all the other movies you mentioned... especially Tropic Thunder, 7 pounds, and Star Trek.

Star Trek was an awsome I was never a big Star trek fan but that movie was a great movie and I would agree on the whole thing about the watchmen it was sooo boring and also agree with you on all the other movie except south park one I didn't like it.

south park is an acquired taste I guess... I watch it here and there... but find some episodes funny.

The Ugly Truth was actually pretty funny... I loved Gerard Butler in this movie... he made it worth while.

Just saw Marathon Man... it was pretty awesome.

Guest Autiger88

south park is an acquired taste I guess... I watch it here and there... but find some episodes funny.

The Ugly Truth was actually pretty funny... I loved Gerard Butler in this movie... he made it worth while.

I agree with you on the ugly truth me and my girl went to see it in the theaters and it was good also another one from last year was Sherlock Holmes great movie. never heard of Marathon man whos in it and what is it about?

I agree with you on the ugly truth me and my girl went to see it in the theaters and it was good also another one from last year was Sherlock Holmes great movie. never heard of Marathon man whos in it and what is it about?

Marathon Man has Martin Short starring in a movie thats very bizzare and I really cant tell u much about it without giving anything away... I would check it out. Its a good film

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

took the kids to see Megamind this afternoon.  Pretty funny movie, some very subtle humor geard towards grown-ups, not anything vulgar, just over the heads of children.  Funny begining, drug about a third of the way through, but then picked back up rather quickly. I reccomend, especially if you have children...mine(4 and 7) loved it.

• 3 months later...
Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

Good movies IMHO;

When Harry met Sally

The Village

The Mummy

Gone with the Wind

Star Wars

Any James Bond films (Daniel Craig just surpassed Sean Connery on my best Bond list)

Good movies IMHO;

When Harry met Sally

The Village

The Mummy

Gone with the Wind

Star Wars

Any James Bond films (Daniel Craig just surpassed Sean Connery on my best Bond list)

i hope you are joking. haha.

I have watched so many movies it's ridiculous so here are some i think are good watches not just eye candy.

The Godfather part I and II

The Kings speech (new movie)

Braveheart

Training Day

Equilibrium

Full Metal Jacket

District 9

North by Northwest

Inception

The African Queen

The Good Shepherd

Road to Perdition

Pulp Fiction

Munich

American Psycho (not for the weak of stomach)

just a short list of the ones i think have a sense of originality about  them.

Archived