Auburn University Ice Hockey!

InfernoOrangeSS

Does Auburn have a team?  I know UA does, and just wondered why we don't?  I would LOVE to go see Ice Hockey.

Would anyone else?

:dunno:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all about some Hockey, as soon as Football season is over. It happened to me in Alaska, buddy kept bugging me to watch a hockey game for a while, so I did, Instant Pittsburgh Penguin Fan. Then we started going to the Anchorage Aces games. MAN I LOVE HOCKEY. Even played some while I was there, Tough sport. But fun as hell to play.

We don't have a team though, wish they would start one.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

isnt there a rule about having an equal amount of womens scolly to mens scolly?  Which is why we dont have a mens soccer?

And we have got to be even or else somebody will get their fragile little feelings hurt.  :'( :'(

Weegle, I am not sure being equal is where we need to be.  But having a daughter who played in a college sport, on scholarship, I think that young women should have the same opportunities as the young men.  It has nothing to do with somebody getting their fellings hurt.  We are past the barefoot and pregnant days.

The problem with Title IX is that there really is no women's sport equal to football's 85 schollys, therefore some men's sports have to be eliminated, such as men's soccer and wrestling to even the playing field.  Then you have to add, at Auburn, three more women's sports than men's sports to offset the 85 football schollys.  Some will use the argument that football is the only revenue earning sport so it should stand on its on.  That is not a good argument because a very small percentage of college football programs pay for themselves.  If they all paid for themselves that may be a legitimate argument. 

The bottom line is that the women deserve the same opportunities as the men.     

Please don't think that I am downing women or women's sports. I personally love watching women's fastpitch softball, women's golf, and a variety of other women's sports. And I have never thought that women should be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. I value my wife as my equal partner in marriage, although I do have biblically, the final answer in decisions regarding our family. I have nieces who play soccer and enjoy watching them play.

Please don't think that I am downing women or women's sports. I personally love watching women's fastpitch softball, women's golf, and a variety of other women's sports. And I have never thought that women should be barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. I value my wife as my equal partner in marriage, although I do have biblically, the final answer in decisions regarding our family. I have nieces who play soccer and enjoy watching them play.

It's all good.  I may have taken it the wrong way but I thought, with the hurt feelings comment, you were talking about women shouldn't have equal opportunities.  My daughter was a fastpitch softball pitcher.  I love that game. 

• 2 weeks later...

uat is just a club sport,  no scholarships and everybody has to pay certains fee to play.

UAH acually has 2 NCAA national championships in Ice hockey

If we can't get Ice Hockey we should get Lacrosse for men and feild hockey for the women

uat is just a club sport,  no scholarships and everybody has to pay certains fee to play.

UAH acually has 2 NCAA national championships in Ice hockey

If we can't get Ice Hockey we should get Lacrosse for men and feild hockey for the women

i love going to UAH games

Club Sports have had to take over the other men's sports because of Title XIX.  The playing field was not very level originally so Title XIX was needed. Like many Laws that were designed to address an unfair situation it was not thought out well enough because it penalized other people. Men in other sports like wrestling.

At one time we had a vibrant Men's wrestling program under Coach Swede Umbach. He was a great coach and we had some very fine young men represent Auburn. 

I do not know what the answer is. Because of football being basically a male sport at this time and the number of scholarships it entails the limiting of other Men's sports is required under the current rules..  Maybe if we revisited the rules and said Women must have as many Scholarships as the other Men's sports excluding Football and then Women would get another 20-30 Scholarships. 

Then assuming there was a demand and adequate funding for other sports they could be added back.

This is a suggestion. Any other opinions would be welcome. Whatever the suggestion it would have to be either scholarship nuetral to Women athletes or Women would have to also gain scholarships.

• 2 weeks later...

i think we should find some way to get a hockey team!!! i am sure there are more fans out there then you would think.. even if it were club or through the school

I saw a booth on the Concourse for an Ice Hockey Club. This was a few months ago but it got my attention for sure.

We also have a cricket club that's at least 30 deep with members.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on facebook and seen a fan page talking about Auburn University Hockey.. I seen where someone said it was official now.. I thought we couldn't have another sport because of equal ratio of male/female scholarships or something?

Hey guys,

I'm glad to see we are making it to the message boards.  I'm one of the founding members of the hockey team.  We are going to be a club team so there are different rules as far as title 9 goes.  So this is not an NCAA D1 sport, so we don't have to add another D1 women's program.  We just got the green light from the Athletic Department yesterday and we are going to start our fundraising and sponsorship program shortly (If any of you guys would like some more information about becoming a sponsor or donating in any way let me know and I will make sure you are on the mailing list to receive more information in our sponsorship packet).

We just started a fan page on facebook and would like your support

Search for Auburn University Hockey, we have an old page that is Auburn Ice hockey as well if you had already joined that group.

If you guys have any questions, just let me know and I should have some answers.

Hey guys,

As I said in the other thread, I'm one of the founding members and it is now official and we are a club sport at Auburn University.  It took awhile to get the Athletic Department to agree to it, but we finally got approved.  We currently have a fan page on facebook just search for Auburn University Hockey. 

Also for those of you looking for jerseys, we are in the process of designing them.  Auburn has some weird rules where they can be the only ones to issue any jersey design so it may take longer than we had anticipated.  I do have some designs made up though if you would like to see them just let me know. 

Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Archived