Clark Pushes Creation Of A Civilian Reserve Corps

CShine

Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark said Tuesday that if elected president, he would mobilize thousands of volunteers for a civilian reserve to respond to terrorist attacks and national disasters.

Clark said the reserve, much like the National Guard, could be called up by the president in times of national emergencies. Every American 18 or older could register for a five-year tour and would serve as long as six months if called to duty.

In times of national emergency, such as floods, forest fires or terrorist attacks, the president would have the power to call to duty up to 5,000 civilian reservists. They would wear no uniforms nor carry military weaponry.

Civilian reservists also could be sent overseas for jobs such as reconstruction in Afghanistan and Iraq, working in positions from translator to truck driver.

The Link

hopefully he'll also have plans on how to prevent terrorist attacks...

exactly what problem is this proposal in response to?

are we deficient in our ability to respond to national disasters? i think the Red Cross and other agencies do a tremendous job. are we lacking for compassion for those beset by natural and unnatural disasters?

this sounds like yet another left-wing attempt to enlarge the gov't.

although, i do commend him for having a concrete idea and proposal... but this one is a lightweight idea that addresses no pressing issue.

i gotta say, however, that behind lieberman, clark is my choice for the dems... he's getting a sympathy vote from me because of the way the other candidates are jumping on him in the debates...poor general.

Archived