Darren Bates

aurules16

Anyone else have a feeling he could end up the one of the greatest DB's ever to step foot on the AU campus. He has already become a beast in his FRESHMAN year. He has at least 2-3 more years left and he will definetly improve well.

As long as he avoids long term injuries, he's on par to making history. A hard hitting, swagger full safety s what we need at the back IMO.

I love Bates.  He is full speed all the time, and he runs through people.  He got out of position some last year and we got burned, but he will learn from that, and that is a hard position to play without experience.  Plays bigger than he is.  If McNeil, Savage, and Etheridge are back to 100%, that is a real strength of the team.

"one of"...maybe.  That list is long and distinguished(insert joke). IMO, he has a chance, but he'll have to continue to work on his cover skills and do it for 4 more years to be on that list.

Certainly filled a need last year very well. I'll wait and see how he progresses before i think he's one of the best ever. Honestly the safety position isn't a position i watch alot during the game so i wouldn't be the best judge.

"one of"...maybe.  That list is long and distinguished(insert joke). IMO, he has a chance, but he'll have to continue to work on his cover skills and do it for 4 more years to be on that list.

exactly.. he's definitely not a cover safety.

Also, he needs to watch his late hits. There were a couple of times when it was on the fence, wether he should jump in the pile and add that extra hit. I know it's due to his aggressiveness, which you don't want him to hold back, but I remember a couple of plays I was screaming NOOOOOO!. I remember one play the ref had is hand on the flag and then said no, but he could have called it and it would have been legit.

For a true freshmen he has been great. So was Savage, I hope we don't have a repeat of his misfortunes.

when chizik was our d-coordinator he used a lot of linebackers that were small but fast. i think with about 15lbs he would make a nice hybrid lb/safety. but for the sake of his pro future he should work on coverage skills for nfl employment.

Bates is a joy to watch.  He reminds me of hitters like CASHER/ROSEGREEN. The fast and light defensive minset was something Tubs brought with him from Miami and it provided great dividends. His future is bright at AU. :cool: :cool: :cool:

exactly.. he's definitely not a cover safety.

Yet...

Not sure how he'll do it that seeing as how he only has 3 years left.  :P

This topic was discussed in another thread(http://www.wareagleauburn.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=8649.30).

I think a lot of people are trying to compare Berry in his Sr year and Bates in his Fr year. Berry in his first year(So) starting only had 16 more tackles. The link will give you some more info.

Bates(avoiding injury) will be awesome. McNeil and he will make a great combo back there in the upcoming year.

Still gotta ways to go but definitely got a bright future! Needs to make some more plays in coverage and control his aggressiveness. I agree with the poster who said he reminded him of Rosegreen. When I watched him play I wanted say "Take his head of Junior!!" and realize its Bates... Gotta bright future but let's not crown him the king of the world yet...

Archived