The "Calling of the NIP" ! ! !

WarTim

Several years ago, I started a tradition in my family that has become somewhat humorous, but, to those GUYS out there who long for Football Season, well, YOU will get it. (The ladies on the board will surely be able to relate. I am certain that they will all think "Typical Male"...)

One day, while cutting the grass and riding around on my mower, I felt the "nip".

I talked to my brother, big uat fan, on the phone that night and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said that he was afraid to mention the "nip" for fear of being called "stupid". Since I have no problem wearing that mantle, :D The "Calling of the Nip" has become MY sole responsibility each and every year.

Later the next day, I disscussed the "nip" with my best friend, jaydubb. He, too, understood and got a little excited about the approaching sound of "TOUCHDOWN AUBURRRNNN!" and a road trip, or TWO. :D

What is the "nip" ?

It is that first hint of Fall (The Season I call FOOTBALL)..... whether it be the different "smell" or "look"of the grass, more fallen leaves than can be chalked up to SUMMER HEAT, the way the sun appears at dusk, it can even be the male football hormone...Who knows?...But, when you (or should I say "I") "feel" the "nip", there can be no denying it ! ! ! !

My wife insist that I am simply wishing to "feel" the "nip" because I have grown weary of "baseball season" (what I call that waste of good TV time between A-Day and Fall practice!) and WANT it to be Fall & "nippy"outside, Thus ,FOOTBALL SEASON ! ! ! ! ! ! :au::D:au:

Poor misguided woman. She simply can't understand the subtle nuances of the "nip".

Or, more likely, the female of the species is not equipped, by the big AU man up stairs, to understand or appreciate the "nip". She spends each and every day from the first day of August until the "nip" is called, by the official "Caller of the Nip", in total and complete "Nip DENIAL". (Poor female). She has even turned our two daughters against the "nip". (My oldest daughter is with me on this whole "nip" thing, but, she is simply humoring her poor Mother.)

Anyway, my brother calls me at least twice a week now, anxiously awaiting the OFFICIAL "Calling of the NIP" ! ! !

If I even mention that it feels "different" outside, my wife gives me that all too familiar rolling of the eyes :rolleyes: and reminds me that it is still 90 degrees ! !

(Again, poor misguided female...... :D )

As a service to my AUBURN brothers and sisters, I will be sure to announce when the "nip" has been "called".

It is a heavy burden but , hey, somebody has got to do it ! ! !

WAR EAGLE & HURRY FALL (insert "nip" here______) HURRY ! ! ! ! :au::au::au:

B)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too understand the call of the "NIP" my brother. :lol: .....WAR EAGLE!!! :au::au::au::yes:

Or, more likely, the female of the species is not equipped, by the big AU man up stairs, to understand or appreciate the "nip".

Oh, bite me. Men don't have the corner on the Nip. :rolleyes:

I cheered football for more than ten years - junior high through college. That NIP in the air never fails to make me get all goose bumpy and makes the blood run a little faster thru my veins. Especially on those days when it has been hotter than hell, but once the sun starts to go down, that first little breeze comes rolling in, and the HINT of crispness in the air makes you take deeper breaths like you can't get the air into your lungs fast enough. And it doesn't make me think "OOO! Fall shoe sale at Neimans!!" No - it just SCREAMS football to me.

Throw in the combination of NIP and looking up to see the massive concrete edifice of Jordan Hare Stadium while experiencing the NIP, and well, there is only one adjective I can think of to describe it... but this IS a family board, plus I don't want my corndog hubby to think he is inadequately meeting my needs. :D

But since I live in Houston now, where NIP is but a distant memory, I will have to rely on the War Tim Calling of the Nip to be my guide as to when Nip has officially made its appearance in Alabama. There is NO NIP in Houston. :no: It is hot right up to the BCS Bowl game. And that sucks.

Throw in the combination of NIP and looking up to see the massive concrete edifice of Jordan Hare Stadium while experiencing the NIP, and well, there is only one adjective I can think of to describe it... but this IS a family board, plus I don't want my corndog hubby to think he is inadequately meeting my needs. :D

But since I live in Houston now, where NIP is but a distant memory, I will have to rely on the War Tim Calling of the Nip to be my guide as to when Nip has officially made its appearance in Alabama. There is NO NIP in Houston. :no: It is hot right up to the BCS Bowl game. And that sucks.

LOL :D

Jenny.....Thanks for understanding. :D

What a fool I am for not KNOWING good and well that YOU would "get" the whole "nip" thing! :D

WAR EAGLE & Stay cool out there in TX ! ! ! :D:au:

:hail::hail::hail:

I know what you are talking about! I nominate WarTim the official AUNation "NIP Caller," and his post to the "Classics" Forum!

My wife, too gets that look on her face when I begin to feel the NIP! Poor woman! :lol:

:hail::hail::hail:

You mean I have to wait for the Calling of The Nip before I can marinate the wings and then pop em' on the grill, covering them in John Boy & Billy Grilling Sauce and then washing em' down with a few choice, frosty cold, adult beverages??? :blink:

HURRY, CALL THE NIP, PLEEEEASE!!!

Or, more likely, the female of the species is not equipped, by the big AU man up stairs, to understand or appreciate the "nip".

Oh, bite me. Men don't have the corner on the Nip. :rolleyes:

I cheered football for more than ten years - junior high through college. That NIP in the air never fails to make me get all goose bumpy and makes the blood run a little faster thru my veins. Especially on those days when it has been hotter than hell, but once the sun starts to go down, that first little breeze comes rolling in, and the HINT of crispness in the air makes you take deeper breaths like you can't get the air into your lungs fast enough. And it doesn't make me think "OOO! Fall shoe sale at Neimans!!" No - it just SCREAMS football to me.

You beat me to it Jenny. I would love to feel the NIP because its about 100 degrees in Houston right now. However, we've got a cold front coming through Friday that should take us down to the low 90's.

I do know what you mean tho, WT. I experience the opposite of the "NIP" in the spring and its associated with fishing instead of football. Just let us know when the NIP hits Alabama...

The "NIP" knows no boundaries, nor does the "NIP" pull for any side! The "NIP" is a universal language spoken by all football fans in America! And thanks to you WarTim for carrying the badge of official "NIP" commencer! You are in deed a true man of genius! :)

Roll Tide

I experienced "Braxton Hicks" NIP the other day. I was in the drive through line and noticed a lot of leaves on the ground, and thought it looked cooler outside. But when I rolled down the window and got hit with the 90-degree heat I knew it was my imagination.

I would love to feel the NIP because its about 100 degrees in Houston right now. However, we've got a cold front coming through Friday that should take us down to the low 90's.

Yeah, in a pre-news promo the other night, that goober weatherman on the local WB ACTUALLY SAID "There's a cold front moving our way! Details at 9!"

What a maroon. :angry: Cold front my ass. When it is still 79 degrees at 10:00 pm and that is considered cold, well, you know you are in Houston in July. When it is still 92 degrees at 10:00 pm and THAT is considered cold, well, you know you are in Houston in AUGUST.

So when you call the NIP, Tim, please be descriptive... those of us stuck in Hell's Gas Grill will envy you your experience.

The "NIP" knows no boundaries, nor does the "NIP" pull for any side! The "NIP" is a universal language spoken by all football fans in America! And thanks to you WarTim for carrying the badge of official "NIP" commencer! You are in deed a true man of genius! :)

Roll Tide

You are correct, my bama brother, The "Nip" knows no allegiance.

(Although we all know The "Big Tiger Upstairs" is an :au: Man!) B)

NIPNIPNIPNIPNIPNIP
WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT OF NIP: NiP!

KNIGHTS OF NI: NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP!

ARTHUR: Who are you?

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We are the Knights Who Say... 'Ni'P!

RANDOM: NiP!

ARTHUR: No! Not the Knights Who Say 'NiP'!

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: The same!

BEDEVERE: Who are they?

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We are the keepers of the sacred words: 'NiP', '$PUAT', and 'SNOTNOSE PUPPY COACH'!

RANDOM: 'SNOTNOSE PUPPY COACH'!

ARTHUR: Those who hear them seldom live to tell the tale.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: The Knights Who Say 'NiP' demand a sacrifice.

ARTHUR: Knights of NiP, we are but simple travellers who seek the enchanter who lives beyond these woods.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: NiP!

KNIGHTS OF NIP: NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP!...

ARTHUR: Ow! Ow! Ow! Agh!

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We shall say 'niP' again to you if you do not appease us.

ARTHUR: Well, what is it you want?

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We want... a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

[dramatic chord]

ARTHUR: A what?

KNIGHTS OF NIP: NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP!

ARTHUR and PARTY: Ow! Oh!

ARTHUR: Please! Please! No more! We will find you a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. We'll just borrow one of bammer's.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: You must return here with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, or else, you will never pass through this STADIUM... alive.

ARTHUR: O Knights of NiP, you are just and fair, and we will return with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: One that looks nice.

ARTHUR: Of course.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: And not too expensive.

ARTHUR: Yes.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: Now... go!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

WarTim, your story reminded me of the old guy from the Waterboy. Now I have this sick picture of you riding on your lawnmower experiencing "THE NIP."

AAARRRGGGHHH! YUCK! :puke:

GUESS WHAT?

I watched the mont. news tonight and the nip may arrive this weekend. Unseasonably cool august weather expected all the way to south al. We'll see.

Alright now 88, remember, I am the "Official" caller of the "Nip".

No premature "Nip" calling allowed! :lol:

WT....just a heads up. I don't where you are but it's cooler in Huntsville today and is spposed to get in the 5Os at night real soon. With the first game only a month away I'm ready to hear your "NIiiiiiiiiiiiiPPPPPPPPPPPPP'" coming over the mountain.

:au::au:

Alright now 88, remember, I am the "Official" caller of the "Nip".

No premature "Nip" calling allowed! :lol:

I wasn't calling the nip, just anticipating the calling :lol: .

The NIP Watch has started in Travelers Rest, South Carolina!

It is offensive to some of my coworkers once a year in the late summer or early Fall when the NIP overcomes me and I have to roll around on the fresh cut grass in front of our office. I just can't help myself! Is there a program to help with "The Nip" dependency?

Tim, please refrain from calling me and letting me know the nip has been declared until the actual daylight hours of the day that the nip has been officially declared. If you can.

NIPNIPNIPNIPNIPNIP
WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT OF NIP: NiP!

KNIGHTS OF NI: NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP!

ARTHUR: Who are you?

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We are the Knights Who Say... 'Ni'P!

RANDOM: NiP!

ARTHUR: No! Not the Knights Who Say 'NiP'!

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: The same!

BEDEVERE: Who are they?

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We are the keepers of the sacred words: 'NiP', '$PUAT', and 'SNOTNOSE PUPPY COACH'!

RANDOM: 'SNOTNOSE PUPPY COACH'!

ARTHUR: Those who hear them seldom live to tell the tale.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: The Knights Who Say 'NiP' demand a sacrifice.

ARTHUR: Knights of NiP, we are but simple travellers who seek the enchanter who lives beyond these woods.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: NiP!

KNIGHTS OF NIP: NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP!...

ARTHUR: Ow! Ow! Ow! Agh!

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We shall say 'niP' again to you if you do not appease us.

ARTHUR: Well, what is it you want?

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: We want... a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

[dramatic chord]

ARTHUR: A what?

KNIGHTS OF NIP: NiP! NiP! NiP! NiP!

ARTHUR and PARTY: Ow! Oh!

ARTHUR: Please! Please! No more! We will find you a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. We'll just borrow one of bammer's.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: You must return here with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, or else, you will never pass through this STADIUM... alive.

ARTHUR: O Knights of NiP, you are just and fair, and we will return with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: One that looks nice.

ARTHUR: Of course.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: And not too expensive.

ARTHUR: Yes.

WAR TIM, HEAD KNIGHT: Now... go!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nobody got this? :huh: DKW - I expected a comment from you at least!!! :(

Guess I am not as funny as I think I am!! :D

Archived