STEELERS THREAD

WDEAUB

16 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

A good article looking forward to the new season.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/steelers-53-man-roster-asking-140414853.html

If it's Ben's last, I will savor it, regardless of our record, bc after Ben it could be like the 90's for my Steelers.

I also worry, after losing our ALL-Pro OL, what we have left to start the season. If they can't protect, or we can't run the ball, it could be trouble.

I hate to say it but I really like Najee Harris at RB.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We will have to play better moving forward. This could be a playoff year or a woeful year. I don’t think it will be much in between. 

Looking more and more like a bad year. Several articles talking about how bad Ben looks. I hate it for him. He could turn it around, but I’m afraid it’s the end of a very long, successful line for him.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

Looking more and more like a bad year. Several articles talking about how bad Ben looks. I hate it for him. He could turn it around, but I’m afraid it’s the end of a very long, successful line for him.

Gotta agree sadly.....but strangers things have happen..

• Like 1

Maybe the NFL analysts know what they are talking about. They thought we would be luckly to be around .500 at years end.

I hoped with Ben back into his last year, another year from his healed elbow, that we would be better than that.

But, the OL is NOT good right now, and we will have to see if they are good, even though they are really young,and can jell and be a force before the halfway point.

But Ben, still can't throw a consistent deep ball, and seems to throw too many passes within 5-10 yards of the LOS. It looks like if we can't get a good running game going, Ben's ability to pass the ball effectively will be similar to last year's problems.

I remember when Bradshaw was going down in his last days, and it took 11 years before Cowher was hired and we started going back to the playoffs consistently. But he still didn't win his only SB until they drafted Ben in 2004.

So basically we went 20 years without a franchise QB.

I hope they do better this time around. It's not easy...that's for sure.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Maybe the NFL analysts know what they are talking about. They thought we would be luckly to be around .500 at years end.

I hoped with Ben back into his last year, another year from his healed elbow, that we would be better than that.

But, the OL is NOT good right now, and we will have to see if they are good, even though they are really young,and can jell and be a force before the halfway point.

But Ben, still can't throw a consistent deep ball, and seems to throw too many passes within 5-10 yards of the LOS. It looks like if we can't get a good running game going, Ben's ability to pass the ball effectively will be similar to last year's problems.

I remember when Bradshaw was going down in his last days, and it took 11 years before Cowher was hired and we started going back to the playoffs consistently. But he still didn't win his only SB until they drafted Ben in 2004.

So basically we went 20 years without a franchise QB.

I hope they do better this time around. It's not easy...that's for sure.

What you don't consider Bubby Brister a franchise QB............:poke:

Get Out Of Here GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

What you don't consider Bubby Brister a franchise QB............:poke:

Get Out Of Here GIF by Saturday Night Live

or Mark Malone, or Cliff Stoudt or DAvid Woodley, or Neil O'Donnell, or Kordell Stewart or TOmmy Gun Maddox. :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

I tell people you know I’m a die-hard Steeler fan because I remained loyal during the Brister years. 

Replace Brister with Kent Nix and Bill Nelsen for the time I was a die-hard Steeler fan......... yikes!!!!! and damn ughy 2-12 record

• Like 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Replace Brister with Kent Nix and Bill Nelsen for the time I was a die-hard Steeler fan......... yikes!!!!! and damn ughy 2-12 record

Don't forget Dick Shiner. :)I

I first remember seeing the Steelers in the snow at Pitt Stadium.

I grew up with these guys and Dick Hoak at RB. Loved Hoak. Unfortunately he retired before he could be part of the start of the Steeler dynasty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

This is becoming the bad, worse, down right ugly thread, lol! 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

By the way...anyone interested in getting Desahun Watson from Houston to replace Ben for next year?

A lot of talk on the Steeler talk shows about it....

Would be interesting. With all that’s gone on with him, what would it take to get him? 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

By the way...anyone interested in getting Desahun Watson from Houston to replace Ben for next year?

A lot of talk on the Steeler talk shows about it....

Wouldn't hurt my feelings

23 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

Would be interesting. With all that’s gone on with him, what would it take to get him? 

I am concerned about the outside issues he has brought on himself, so that needs to be researched and determined by the Rooneys and whoever the new Football operations director will be.

It seems that Houston, to unload so much salary he is going to pull in next year, now is coming down on their asking price.

Pittsburgh will not find a franchise QB in this upcoming draft as QBs are weak this year, so trading for one has to be an option.

Either find a trade that brings in Watson or a disgruntled Rogers, or bite the bullet with Rudolph for one year and hope to go up in the draft in 23 to get a franchise QB.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I have several friends that are Steelers fans and I have to say that the lack of WR threat is hurting Ben and Najee.

Now they have some WRs with Johnson(quick, outside threat) when he's healthy, and JuJu, and Claypool is big strong and can go downfield too, and they have a very good TE they drafted, so I don't see that as a problem.

Their only problems is Ben not being accurate anymore on deep balls, Not mobile enough anymore, and a totally inexperienced OL, that we still don't know if they are NFL quality. Add those 3 together and that is the basic problem.

Now I will add this new OC, Canada, has ZERO NFL OC experience, so I have no idea if his offense is better or any different that the last OC that failed.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Now they have some WRs with Johnson(quick, outside threat) when he's healthy, and JuJu, and Claypool is big strong and can go downfield too, and they have a very good TE they drafted, so I don't see that as a problem.

Their only problems is Ben not being accurate anymore on deep balls, Not mobile enough anymore, and a totally inexperienced OL, that we still don't know if they are NFL quality. Add those 3 together and that is the basic problem.

Now I will add this new OC, Canada, has ZERO NFL OC experience, so I have no idea if his offense is better or any different that the last OC that failed.

In the last game, the only one of those 3 WR on the field was Claypool.  Not to mention that Ben threw almost 60 passes.  On top of the 60 passes; Najee made up 19 targets & Claypool was 17 targets.  That's almost 33% to RB.  That is not a great game plan.

The combination of dink & dunk passes and bad OL play are very similar to AU.

• 1 month later...

Depletion kills!

But, they played hard. Cam Heyward is a beast. His tackle to save the TD 20 or so yards downfield was incredible hustle. 

Our D can hold up when healthy. The O just lacks punch. Claypool helps, but Oline and no Ju Ju hurts.

Edited by wareagleguy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

Depletion kills!

But, they played hard. Cam Heyward is a beast. His tackle to save the TD 20 or so yards downfield was incredible hustle. 

Our D can hold up when healthy. The O just lacks punch. Claypool helps, but Oline and no Ju Ju hurts.

And an OC, that won't use his stud RB to get the tough yards on 1st and goal from the 4.  Until they luckily got the PI on 4th down, to finally get the score.

Up 3, even with depleted defensive starters, the CN Sutton should have never tried to jump the inside WR, and allow them to go ahead w/ 3 minutes left in the game. Make them fight, and just go for a FG and get to OT....

Key defensive players were stars and special teams got us back in the game.

Can u imagine scoring 27 points in the 4th qtr and losing?