Rivals.com Bonomolo Interview

Jonesy

http://www.auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1085980

Bonomolo may not have been on the radar of Auburn fans until the summer rolled around, but the big JUCO defensive end took one visit to Auburn in June and that's all it took, as Bonomolo committed soon after to the Tigers. Originally from New Orleans, Louisiana, Bonomolo was a non-qualifier out of high school and ended up in JUCO in California.

High School Stats: As a freshman in junior college, Bonomolo had 41 tackles (24 solo), 17 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks. He was voted second team All-National Southern Conference. In high school, Bonomolo recorded 17 sacks as a senior and received his team's Ironman award for weightlifting.

Your workout routine?

"I've been running and I workout twice a day. I just go to school, run in the mornings before class, and then workout after class and go to the gym and lift weights. I workout six days a week, Monday through Saturday. I've been doing everything Auburn has given me, plus a little more.

"I've been doing their whole workout, plus agility workouts, foot work, all the sprint work they gave me, just trying to do a little more than everyone else."

AuburnSports.com

Joel Bonomolo says he's back to 100 percent, and ready to make a quick impact at Auburn.

What gives you the desire to live in the weight room the way you do?

"That's the one thing that separates me I feel from everyone else coming from junior college. They'd workout five days a week and I'd be in there six. I had my own gym membership and so I'd be working out at school plus at the gym."

How has your shoulder progressed since the surgery you had before Christmas?

"I just started my heavy lifting back. All my lifting, my bench, it's all getting back to normal now. I'd say I'm 90 percent on the heavy lifting right now, but the 225-pound reps and all that is back to normal now."

Talk about your surgery last year, and why you stopped playing.

"I had a torn labrum in my shoulder. The main reason I stopped playing was because I thought I tore my rotator cuff, and when you tear that the recovery time is a little longer. I felt like I had already proven myself, so there was no reason to keep playing and playing and risk permanent damage."

How did that affect your play last year?

"I pulled my shoulder last season, and the first three games I must have played 12 plays each game. I was just in pain, so it just wasn't worth risking anymore and I felt like surgery was the best option."

How healthy are you now heading into Auburn?

"I'd say I'm 100 percent now."

Which coaches were mainly involved in your recruitment to Auburn?

"Coach Trooper Taylor sold me on Auburn. Coach (Gene) Chizik, the whole staff. I just went out there on my trip and knew it was the place where I wanted to go. That was just the place for me to go. Coach Tracy Rocker is a great guy, he's been where I want to get, and that's the NFL. He seems like a great guy and someone I want to play for."

If you hadn't signed with Auburn, who would you have signed with?

"I committed so early, that's hard to say. I felt like SEC was the place and I always wanted to play there. I can't even say LSU because they are so close to home, I felt like it would be a distraction."

Being from New Orleans, La., was LSU the main competition to Auburn for your signature?

"I went on a trip to LSU right after the summer and saw everything. In the process, Auburn was looking at me as well. I went out there, and I really liked what I saw at Auburn and so I committed."

What team(s) are you looking forward to playing and beating at Auburn?

"LSU for sure. Going home and playing in that stadium, that's one team I really want to beat. It's something I've dreamed of, playing in the SEC as a kid. That's the one game where I really want to make an impact is that game. Auburn knew I was their guy, LSU didn't. I kind of have a little grudge against them. When I went to Auburn, they knew I was their guy."

When do you plan to report?

"I report June 20th. I'm still out in California and leave here May 28th."

What's one thing you would want a future recruit to know about Auburn they may not already know?

"The fans, they are crazy. There are no fans like Auburn fans. Everything about the whole program is great, it's definitely on the rise."

If you had a message to Auburn fans, what would it be?

"I'm going to give it my all. I'm going to play my heart out every play, I've always played like that and expect great things out of me. I want to make an immediate impact."

HAHAHA jansterz71 I can not believe your avatar pic. A few friends and me actually created that "Bamaladen" picture waaay back in like '04 or '05 for the Bama game.  I havent thought about it or seen it in years.  We had it blown up to poster size and set up out tailgate at the corner of Donahue and Dormitory Dr. right there by the C zone parking.  All day long people were stopping and having their picture taken with Bamaladen.  Man that was a great day. I cant believe I just randomly ran into that thing. WDE!

PS- I just called my buddy who came up with the idea to begin with to tell him I ran into it and he told me to let you guys know that Hitler was a Bama fan as well.

Now on to Bonomolo.  If you havent seen this kid's youtube videos you need to check them out.  He is relentless, unforgiving, ruthless, determined and dangerous when it comes to pursuing the QB. Awesome to hear he is healthy.

HAHAHA jansterz71 I can not believe your avatar pic. A few friends and me actually created that "Bamaladen" picture waaay back in like '04 or '05 for the Bama game.  I havent thought about it or seen it in years.  We had it blown up to poster size and set up out tailgate at the corner of Donahue and Dormitory Dr. right there by the C zone parking.  All day long people were stopping and having their picture taken with Bamaladen.  Man that was a great day. I cant believe I just randomly ran into that thing. WDE!

PS- I just called my buddy who came up with the idea to begin with to tell him I ran into it and he told me to let you guys know that Hitler was a Bama fan as well.

Hahaha that's Awesome!!!  I love this picture! I'm so glad you made it! I just found it randomly while searching google images and I was like, I gotta have that as my profile pic lol thanks

I always like the fellow gym rats..  I am excited to see what Bono will do.  I expect to see him get a good bit of playing time this fall.

Thanks for that AUwarrior!  Gotta love a DE end that has the speed to catch a running back from behind 40 yards downfield. 

I feel he is one of those flew under the radar type guys. If he can stay helathy he will no doubt have an immediate impact on the defense. I look for him to have a big year and provide AU with a solid player up front. You certainly won't have to worry about his work ethic.

Can we just start calling him Lattimer?

Ha! Absolutely! The Program is in my top 10 movies I will always watch if it comes on tv.

Archived