Basketball Recruiting ***update 8/20/2012***

IHateBammers

But...there's no indication that he's upgrading talent.

There is also no indication that he isn't. I like the freshman too but I have doubts that one of them will ever be an affective SEC level player. FTR an insider on another board has been saying for a month that we wouldn't have to run any one off to sign 6 this year. He didn't give a name so that could be due to transfer or grades but either way it wasn't a case of a player being run off to make room for another. We're still looking at PG's so it may still happen but I'm going to at least see how everything shakes out before I form an opinion on the matter.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going by recent history. None of the players that have jumped ship over the last three years have been replaced by an upgrade. They've been replaced by players of, at best equal or in some cases inferior talent. The only indication that this time is different would be signing more highly rated players and that's not what's happening.

Other than Earnest Ross, who Barbee tried to get to stay, and Willie K I can't think of a single player that has left the program and not been replaced by a better player.

Last year's 3-12 SEC record indicates they certainly weren't better and probably not as good. Some may get better IF they don't jump ship and continue Barbee's "hamster on a treadmill" lack of progress.

Other than Earnest Ross, who Barbee tried to get to stay, and Willie K I can't think of a single player that has left the program and not been replaced by a better player.

Last year's 3-12 SEC record indicates they certainly weren't better and probably not as good. Some may get better IF they don't jump ship and continue Barbee's "hamster on a treadmill" lack of progress.

Well Jordan Price is gone I cannot think of anyone in this class that is better than Jordan. So here we go with a whole new set of "not better" players

Well Jordan Price is gone I cannot think of anyone in this class that is better than Jordan. So here we go with a whole new set of "not better" players

Definitely not what I was hoping for.

I didn't think of him leaving but if I remember, he was scoring less and less as the season went on. Could be that he was not in TB's plan next season....or thought that was the case. We need a solid PG......JMO but that is the weakest spot on the team right now. We have a number of guards like Price with about the same skill-set and all of them won't be playing. Saw a comment elsewhere saying the "team just got better"....don't know the reason for that opinion but just because a kid leaves it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Football teams "process" players all the time and as someone above noted...desperate times sometimes call for desperate actions.

Price is the guy that hit an Auburn record 11 straight 3-pointers early in the season, before he injured his foot. He was considered something of a recruiting coup when we signed him. More likely he cleared out because that's what promising players do after a year under Barbee. This is getting old.

• 2 weeks later...

Price was/ is fat.

Fat can be cured. That's why there are trainers and nutritionists in the athletic department.

• 2 months later...

I hate to even ask the question...does anyone know the status of Benas Griciunas? Please try to keep the comparisons to the rest of Barbee's MIA signees to a minimum... just looking for info on BG.

• 2 weeks later...

Bama has gotten committments from 2 of the top recruits here in the State of Alabama--I believe both are considered 4 stars. When is Barbee going to recruit that kind of talent to AU? And, don't forget--Bama and Grant have had their share of transfers out lately, but Grant seems to have rebounded, and we still have Barbee floundering around signing 2- and 3- star recruits.

We need to start looking at the young 2014-2015 class of basketball players, I've been to a lot of games, tournaments, street ball exhibitions, and anything related to basketball these past couple years in Selma, Montgomery, Prattville, Mobile, Huntsville, Wetumpka, etc and I can assure you that there is some great talent in Alabama that Auburn should consider recruiting from these classes.

We need to start looking at the young 2014-2015 class of basketball players, I've been to a lot of games, tournaments, street ball exhibitions, and anything related to basketball these past couple years in Selma, Montgomery, Prattville, Mobile, Huntsville, Wetumpka, etc and I can assure you that there is some great talent in Alabama that Auburn should consider recruiting from these classes.

welcome to AUF hoops

I agree 100%. Our recent coaches seem to favor looking 150 miles away over considering players from right down the road. Maybe the guy who will take over after this season will be able to bring in some of the local talent that has been being bypassed by Auburn University.

Price was/ is fat.

Fat can be cured. That's why there are trainers and nutritionists in the athletic department.

Guess I disagree....."fat" is about the player's attitude and commitment to the game and the first step toward a player being in shape is his attitude toward the team and program. AU has all the facilities to help a player who has the personal motivation. If he was not going to respond to coaching in all forms (conditioning as well as floor play) he was just taking up space.

Maybe Price's problems were caused by an overall disagreement with the coach and program....and if he shows up at his next school a sleek 205 pounds and ready to play, good for him. But at AU, he was not in shape and could not handle the quickness of the opposition and the pace of SEC play. As for him leaving AU, he will not be the last 3* or 4* HS player at a major university that does not adjust to a particular school. We have them transferring in...as well as transferring out. Close to 500 NCAA players transferred this past year....it's just a normal part of college basketball these days.

• 3 months later...

Archived