OLDEST AE MEMBER

OK aupops2. I couldn't figure out how to get into pm - I'll have to get one of my grandchildren to help. .From reading previous posts I knew a Phi Tau was here. Looking forward to getting to know you.

• Like 1

OK aupops2. I couldn't figure out how to get into pm - I'll have to get one of my grandchildren to help. .From reading previous posts I knew a Phi Tau was here. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Just to the left of your sign in icon is something that looks like an envelope. Click on that.

I'm age 69. Spent four years in the military between HS and college. Started Auburn in 1966, graduated in '69 and then worked seven years on the staff. Finally left in '76 for a position with USDA.

I fondly remember being able to simply walk out on the practice field sidelines and converse with Coach Jordan during the first few weeks of fall camp. Heard him fuss at Alvin Bressler for dropping a pass and cuss Pat Sullivan for tackling Tommy Yearout after an interception. "Pat, what happens if you dislocate a shoulder? Think, man!" Sullivan: "Coach, I'm a football player. If he runs it back, I'm going to tackle him."

Best remark: Incoming freshman Harry Unger, upon learning that the frosh were going to scrimmage against the varsity that day saying: "Coach, will the school send our bodies back or do our parents have to come pick up the remains?"

Them days is long gone.

Good story's Mikey. I remember when Harry came in as freshman and Alvin did drop more then a few in practice. Shug would get really pissed at him but he was pretty fast if he did catch it.

• 1 year later...

Golf...thanks for mentioning the early days of this topic.....I browsed back at some of the stories....enjoyable to read of the old days. I'm in that older group of AU fans that post here and regret that another of our seniors has "graduated".

Just to add another story of those more informal days. I was out watching practice one afternoon..1962 or 63 I expect. Anyway, we could do that in the old days...rarely a closed practice...we just stand along the sidelines across from the players on the practice field. Anyway, a guy I knew casually named Ronnie Baynes was an end and was out on a pass route and made a diving catch of a poorly thrown pass. We were all excited about the great catch..lots of cheering from the sideline.. only to hear Coach Gene Larendo scream at him.."damn Ronnie, if you would run faster you wouldn't have to dive for the ball". Typical Coach GL.

RIP Pops...from another western NC guy who love his mountains.

• Like 1

Thanks Golf for bumping this old thread. It was one of the first threads to which I responded.

Pops said at the time I was "the leader in the clubhouse" with a birthday of 7/21/1931. From a review of the recent posts, that may still be the case.

We all ill miss his wit, humor, expertise and love of Auburn Rest in peace.

• Like 1

Sorry to here this. I read more than I post but I really enjoy reading all of the different post. I have read all 46 pages today and I have to say I have enjoyed it very much, even though I got to this thru sad news of a fellow AU man. I don't know if that means I have to much time on my hands or what. I am soon to be 59 and I am not a grad of AU but I have been a fan for many years as well as a season ticket holder for 20 plus years. I had three brothers graduate from AU starting with class of 71, 74 and 76 and a sister that finished in the 80's not sure what year. My daughter graduated in 2005. I do have stories from years ago because one of my brothers is only 15 months older and I spent a little more time than I should have at Auburn. I was to smart to go to college myself. (JK) he was a Sigma Pi. When you guys talk about the KK I have a Condo that is in that same location. Again, sorry to here about Pop,s. By the way Golf , David Langner was my neighbor at one time and he was crazy.

• 1 year later...

Thanks. It was good to re-read and remember. BTW. Alvin Bressler was my HS Coach.

Thanks tt for remembering. WT knew Alvin pretty well back at Auburn. He was damn fast running straight and had one of his best games against Ole Miss in the Gator Bowl.

RIP pops you are missed.

• 1 year later...

I am 57, and i have been a fan since 1966.  But unfortunately my 1st  college game was at the enemy in 1974 vs florida state,  I almost got a win for the Noles...  :-)  But i guess Punt bama Punt is when i really remember getting full into the games as far as understanding the game well.   War Eagle and i have love reading the stories. 

• Like 2

Nice post lost we've lost a few members since this thread started. :( wonderful stories in this thread even the young folks I think would enjoy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2017 at 7:06 PM, augolf1716 said:

Nice post lost we've lost a few members since this thread started. :( wonderful stories in this thread even the young folks I think would enjoy

One of the best threads... ever

• Like 1

I won't ever plumb the depths of this place.

Some interesting old pedigree info to browse at "Member Info" thread (Announcements/Site Related), as well.

Don't get @lost in here.

(well I'll be. actually got the tag link to work!).

• 2 years later...

As a swimmer (not good enough to make the letter team), I enjoyed the company of the volleyball and gymnastics coeds. Enough said.

Funny -- I was also a "hippie." Long hair, fu-manchu mustache, so I was also a member of the counter culture. Funny thing was, I worked part time at RBD library and ended up being the "token hippie" of one of the Auburn cheerleaders. She's drop by and if I wasn't on duty she'd leave me an apple with a note or a picture with a note, or a book with a note saying hello. My frat-guy, clean cut, sidekick at work never really understood why a cheerleader would be stopping by to see me or leave gifts/notes. I never went out withe her (not my type, nor me hers) but she and I remained friends for her entire time at AU.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Time for another bump

They make a cream for that

• Haha 1