OLDEST AE MEMBER

Ok Pops, as you requested over on the Ed Dyas thread on Auburn Football

I am deeply saddened to hear of Dr Ed's medical situation. I was in school at Auburn during his football career and knew him just slightly. However he was a class act back then and still is to this day. I don't know if Ed was responsible for choosing his representivies for the induction ceremony but Ken Rice and John McGeever are great selections. I knew both. Ken from my short tour on the Auburn wrestling team and John whom I've known since high school. I will always remember John blocking a field goal attempt in a game back then. The kicker kicked it right into John's stomach and somehow he  hung on and raced about 80 yards for a TD. Nobody in the stadium even knew he had the ball. There was no instant replay back then. I just hope for the best for Dr Ed. However, all three truly are Auburn men and will do our university proud. WDE

I've got my own Bobby Hoppe story about Graves Center. Eli Stevens, a fraternity brother of mine roomed with Bobby at Graves Center. I was there just visiting one night and Bobby came in. He had had a few and got his pistol out waving it around. Said he was going to shoot the place up. The guy was one of the scariest human beings I have ever been around. Could have used him in Nam. Eli and I left as we had to be somewhere to go but it sure didn't hurt my feelings. I have a buddy here in Atlanta from Chattanooga that went to high school with him and we swap stories about him all the time. One crazy dude!!

I heard the storys about Bobby and he makes David Langer look like a little kid. God I'm glad he was gone when I got there. I believe some of the cabins were still there even after Sewell Hall was built.

You guys make me feel like Methuselah . I am a proud 72 and working on 90 or so. My favorite football memory was the entire 1957 season. We had the most dominant defense I have ever seen. Guys like Jackie Burket, Zeke Smith, Jerry Wilson, et.al. made the defense absoultelu vicious. They allowed less than 3 points a game. Otherwise, the first game with Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley was memorable, as was their entire career. The 17-16 game is one I will never forget, particularly since Auburn had not crossed the fifty yardline until the field goal. Too many memories to list. By the way ATO was one of the top fratenrities during that time and I was proud to be a member.

You were an ATO. We had a few battles with them in 70 and 71. Finally the University made us make peace. Well it was kinda peace instead of doing the battles between the 2 frat house buildings we had to go outside Auburn city limits. By the time I got my degree I had several friends who were ATO's.

I am deeply saddened to hear of Dr Ed's medical situation. I was in school at Auburn during his football career and knew him just slightly. However he was a class act back then and still is to this day. I don't know if Ed was responsible for choosing his representivies for the induction ceremony but Ken Rice and John McGeever are great selections. I knew both. Ken from my short tour on the Auburn wrestling team and John whom I've known since high school. I will always remember John blocking a field goal attempt in a game back then. The kicker kicked it right into John's stomach and somehow he  hung on and raced about 80 yards for a TD. Nobody in the stadium even knew he had the ball. There was no instant replay back then. I just hope for the best for Dr Ed. However, all three truly are Auburn men and will do our university proud. WDE

Do any of you guys remember McGeever doing that?  The ball stuck between his thigh pad and stomach, did not even touch the ground!!!  I dated John's cousin a loooooong time ago, and his best friend, Jim Finch, was also a very good friend of mine.  His wife, Marlin, was(is) a wonderful person.  We would go out, and everyone would say: " John McGeever, aren't you the one.......?  "  He got so tired of it , he dreaded going out in public.    BTW, Jim Finch had another close Auburn friend , Dave"Mudslick" Edwards.  Now, if you want some stories... there is the place to go .  He was #52 for the Dallas Cowboys, and along with #55 LeeRoy Jordan, formed the best LB corp in the NFL for a long time.  That's probably the last time AU and UA did anything good together!!!

Do any of you guys remember McGeever doing that?  The ball stuck between his thigh pad and stomach, did not even touch the ground!!!  I dated John's cousin a loooooong time ago, and his best friend, Jim Finch, was also a very good friend of mine.  His wife, Marlin, was(is) a wonderful person.  We would go out, and everyone would say: " John McGeever, aren't you the one.......?  "  He got so tired of it , he dreaded going out in public.    BTW, Jim Finch had another close Auburn friend , Dave"Mudslick" Edwards.  Now, if you want some stories... there is the place to go .  He was #52 for the Dallas Cowboys, and along with #55 LeeRoy Jordan, formed the best LB corp in the NFL for a long time.  That's probably the last time AU and UA did anything good together!!!

Sorry pops I never heard about that one but I do remember Dave Edwards. He and Leroy did make a good LB corp. but I have always dislike the Cowturds.

Somebody has got to be able to pull up McGeever blocking that FG!!!  I know I've seen it many times but wouldn't have a clue how to find it.  At one time, it was almost as remarkable is the "Punt-Bama-Punt" thing!!!

Boy, I'm glad you guys are still around. You sure do bring back memories for me. My first year was 1957. Talk about timing. Auburn's one and only NC (but not their last!!!) and I was there. AU60 I think you and I have chatted before. I think I told you my Jackie Burkett story about us cutting history class to go play snooker. AUgolg1716 I knew Dave Edwards also. In fact ran into him in Dallas in the late 70s. He sold football equipment if I remember right. He dated the sister of a fraternity bro of mine back then. Great guy, not full of himself. In fact sort of quiet, at least back then he was. Pops, I guess you know that Johnny and Barbara Meshad Dooley were classmates at John Carroll in Bham. Barbara dated Frank Larussa, another fraternity bro of mine for quite some time. He went to Ensley in Bham and played guard for Shug. Johnny, Barbara and myself all started Auburn together. Her little brother was my little brother in my fraternity. Great guy. He is a very successful real estate attorney in Tampa. Saw him about 4 years ago. Well enough about my stories let me hear some of yours folks.

Pops, do you remeber who we were playing when Johnny made that play? I can see it clear as day but I don't remember who the opponent was.

Pops, do you remeber who we were playing when Johnny made that play? I can see it clear as day but I don't remember who the opponent was.

In 1961, Auburn's John McGeever opened the scoring by blocking a Kentucky field goal and returning it 82 yards for a touchdown

Boy, I'm glad you guys are still around. You sure do bring back memories for me. My first year was 1957. Talk about timing. Auburn's one and only NC (but not their last!!!) and I was there. AU60 I think you and I have chatted before. I think I told you my Jackie Burkett story about us cutting history class to go play snooker. AUgolg1716 I knew Dave Edwards also. In fact ran into him in Dallas in the late 70s. He sold football equipment if I remember right. He dated the sister of a fraternity bro of mine back then. Great guy, not full of himself. In fact sort of quiet, at least back then he was. Pops, I guess you know that Johnny and Barbara Meshad Dooley were classmates at John Carroll in Bham. Barbara dated Frank Larussa, another fraternity bro of mine for quite some time. He went to Ensley in Bham and played guard for Shug. Johnny, Barbara and myself all started Auburn together. Her little brother was my little brother in my fraternity. Great guy. He is a very successful real estate attorney in Tampa. Saw him about 4 years ago. Well enough about my stories let me hear some of yours folks.

Johnny and Barbara;  WOW!!  Also, do you guys realize how great Frank Larussa and Tommy Lorino were?  Also, John Carroll produced another pretty good Auburn Tiger.  Mike Blakeley now wants his number!!

Pops, I have not seen Frank in years but I've seen Tommy just recently. Well fairly recently. Did you know he had the Golden Rule Bar-b-que place just down from the War Eagle Supper Club. It's gone now though. He and his son ran the place. My wife and I always stopped in Auburn on our way down to vist a friend in LA (lower Alabama, a bammer no less) and ran into Tommy. Now you want to talk about an Auburn man, he is it. Great, great guy. We had not seen each other in about 5 years or so, so it was old home week. This is really a great trip for me down memory lane.

Yes it has been fun and slammer in case you miss my earlier post John return the punt against  Kentucky  in 1961 foe 82 yards. After doing some research it stir my memory and I remember listening to the game on the radio

Thanks WE4ever, its always great to chat with fellow War Eagles. I am definitely planning on getting to the Plains this season and maybe we can all get together. AUgolf1716, if you want to play a round on a football weekend, let me know. I have not played any of the courses down there and would love to opportunity to do so. Let me know if you are interested. Everyone take care and WDE. Gotta go.

Burkett was not known for regularly attending classes. I had several with him and he rarely made it to class. He did graduate though; however he had to clear up about 50 parking tickets handed out by the city of Auburn before he could graduate.

You guys make me feel like Methuselah . I am a proud 72 and working on 90 or so. My favorite football memory was the entire 1957 season. We had the most dominant defense I have ever seen. Guys like Jackie Burket, Zeke Smith, Jerry Wilson, et.al. made the defense absoultelu vicious. They allowed less than 3 points a game. Otherwise, the first game with Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley was memorable, as was their entire career. The 17-16 game is one I will never forget, particularly since Auburn had not crossed the fifty yardline until the field goal. Too many memories to list. By the way ATO was one of the top fratenrities during that time and I was proud to be a member.

You were an ATO. We had a few battles with them in 70 and 71. Finally the University made us make peace. Well it was kinda peace instead of doing the battles between the 2 frat house buildings we had to go outside Auburn city limits. By the time I got my degree I had several friends who were ATO's.

Were you an SAE? We had a few battles with them when I was there.

I've got my own Bobby Hoppe story about Graves Center. Eli Stevens, a fraternity brother of mine roomed with Bobby at Graves Center. I was there just visiting one night and Bobby came in. He had had a few and got his pistol out waving it around. Said he was going to shoot the place up. The guy was one of the scariest human beings I have ever been around. Could have used him in Nam. Eli and I left as we had to be somewhere to go but it sure didn't hurt my feelings. I have a buddy here in Atlanta from Chattanooga that went to high school with him and we swap stories about him all the time. One crazy dude!!

You must have been an SPE. I went to high school with Eli. I rarely see him anymore because he doesn't work like he used to. I think his son is running Lloyds now.

OK, everybody give it up!!!  My DOB is 11-04-43, makes me 66.  I know AU60 has got me beat.  From what we know now, who's the oldest?

Well its about 2:45 in the AM and as folks my age have to do in the middle of the night, I had to pee. Thought I would just check the boards to see what is going on before going back to bed.  AU60, you are right on, I was an SPE. We had quite a motely crew back then. Some coeds were even scared to come to the house on date night but Barbara Meshad Dooley certainly wasn't. Hell she fit right in. I haven't seen Eli in quite some time. I remember seeing him when Lloyds was in the narrows on 280 and then he moved it closer to Bham. Lord the memories. Pops I think AU60 is the oldest as far as I can tell. I am 71 so I think he has me by a year. Btw AU60, I had two friends from high school that were ATOs, Jack Wilson and Bob Cummings. He was a pilot for Delta and died of cancer relatively young, very sad. Jack was/is a big time gambler. As for myself, I was a Marine aviator for a good portion of my adult life so I wasn't around home (Bham) to stay up with things through the years. I live in Dawsonville,GA now, just north of Atlanta on Lake Lanier and don't get home very often so I appreciate you guys on here as to what is going on with Auburn. Well let me get off of here before I write a book. Semper Fi fellas, later.

Thanks for the stories, Gentlemen! This was a GREAT topic! I quoted your post above slammer1, to tell you that my Grandmother graduated in '57 when you were just coming in! She stuck around for "the season" though, and BOY did she have some stories to tell me! Thanks again for the memories, guys, and if ya'll think of anymore, keep 'em coming!

By the way, I've got a pretty good connection to Pat Sullivan, and have talked with him a few times! I wish I had more time with him though, because I WORE him out with questions!  :)

OUCH!!! DJ, your GRANDMOTHER????? Boy that hurt. Couldn't you least have said your mother. JK. Well I am sure she has some stories. That was a great time to be at Auburn. I think the boy/girl ratio back then was 4:1, not in our favor, so I am sure she had a great time. They were pretty strict on the girls back then however, especially if they lived in one of the dorms which most did. They had to be in by 8:30 during the week and 9:15 if they made their grades which was a 1.0. We were on the 3.0 system back then. I don't know what is going on with the rules these days but I am sure things have changed tremendously. Also, I bet the ratio has improved  :thumbsup: