AUGYM - Thompsons are moving on

AUTigerMom62

Jeff and Rachelle have accepted an offer from Penn State effective immediately.  Good Luck to them!

Hopefully Jay Jacobs turns this into an AUsome coaching hire as he did with Football, Baseball and Basketball. 

:wareagle:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ladies have made some progress and done well the past couple of years. Penn State is quite an opportunity for them, wishing them luck. JJ will do us proud again.

I would love to hear the status of the sport at AU.  I know there was some controversy about the AU/UA meets this past year, but that's all I know.  What I do know is that I want AU to be the best that we can be in any sport.  (And maybe I can be more knowledgeable about gymnastics, so my wife will let me watch it on the tube,)  In all seriousness, someone give us a .....Where do we go from here?

The gymnastics program has really been on the rise over the last couple years, and the Thompsons have done a great job and are very friendly. They will be greatly missed!

No offense to the Thompsons personally, but the Auburn gymnastics program certainly hasn't improved in recent years, finishing at or near the bottom of the Top 25 (when expectations were much higher).  In reality, the program greatly underachieved during their 10 years, making the NCAA championships only once, and routinely doing very poorly at SEC championships and NCAA regionals.  The last 4+ years have seen Auburn not come close to meeting expectations, while the SEC only gets tougher and other programs across the country out perform Auburn.

The good news is that the Auburn job is a great job and will attract great candidates.  AD Jacobs can find a new coach who can make Auburn gymnastics what it deserves to be - which is a lot better than the current state of affairs.

The gymnastics program has really been on the rise over the last couple years, and the Thompsons have done a great job and are very friendly. They will be greatly missed!

No offense to the Thompsons personally, but the Auburn gymnastics program certainly hasn't improved in recent years, finishing at or near the bottom of the Top 25 (when expectations were much higher).  In reality, the program greatly underachieved during their 10 years, making the NCAA championships only once, and routinely doing very poorly at SEC championships and NCAA regionals.  The last 4+ years have seen Auburn not come close to meeting expectations, while the SEC only gets tougher and other programs across the country out perform Auburn.

The good news is that the Auburn job is a great job and will attract great candidates.  AD Jacobs can find a new coach who can make Auburn gymnastics what it deserves to be - which is a lot better than the current state of affairs.

No offense to you personally, since this is your first post, but that is not the best first post I've ever seen. Try again.

No offense to you personally, since this is your first post, but that is not the best first post I've ever seen. Try again.

It wasn't the best post because what I said was inaccurate, or you just didn't like the facts presented?  Auburn made the NCAA championships just once during the Thompsons time at Auburn - in 2003.  The last 4 seasons Auburn finished ranked 24th, 17th, 16th, and 19th.  Their best finish at the SEC championship meet the past 4 seasons is 5th (out of 7).  Two out of the last 3 years Auburn was seeded 2nd at the Regional meet, only to be upset by a lower seeded team and the Tigers didn't advance to NCAA championships.  This past year, Auburn finished last of the 6 teams at the Regional meet.  Again, Auburn's program is still pretty good, but it wasn't near elite status during the Thompson's tenure, it hasn't improved over the past 4 years, and the program was an underachiever.  The good news is that the Auburn administration will have a great pool of candidates who want to come in and lead the program to the levels it deserves to be at.  AD Jacobs is committed to winning.

Shea Lou, I have to admit I know very little/nothing about the world of gymnastics as for coaches that are potential candidates. Seems like you are familiar with potential coaches. Could you list any of them I would appreicate it.

WDE

While we all hope that all of our teams in all sports improve, the ladies didn't exactly start out at the top of the SEC gym pile. Big Ten teams aren't exactly slackers when it comes to gymnastics. Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota and Penn State all field highly competitive teams. I'm sure Penn State made certain to reach into the bottom of the barrel when they hired a coach. That's sarcasm, I'll put my faith more in Penn States search committee more than I will you. As far being near elite status, they weren't really any further off than any other team has been in AU womens gym history.

Shea Lou, I have to admit I know very little/nothing about the world of gymnastics as for coaches that are potential candidates. Seems like you are familiar with potential coaches. Could you list any of them I would appreicate it.

WDE

I'm not sure precisely what Auburn is looking for in this coaching search (i.e., experience vs. young up-and-comer, female vs. male, etc).  I would guess that top names on the list would include (all of these are current assistants) Danna Durante at Nebraska, Amy Kruse at Illinois, Jeff Graba at Utah, and Philip Ogletree at LSU.  I am unsure if the Auburn administration would prefer someone with SEC experience, or if it's more the opposite, and they wouldn't want someone from a rival SEC school (Alabama assistants need not apply).

WDE

I'm not sure precisely what Auburn is looking for in this coaching search (i.e., experience vs. young up-and-comer, female vs. male, etc).  I would guess that top names on the list would include (all of these are current assistants) Danna Durante at Nebraska, Amy Kruse at Illinois, Jeff Graba at Utah, and Philip Ogletree at LSU.  I am unsure if the Auburn administration would prefer someone with SEC experience, or if it's more the opposite, and they wouldn't want someone from a rival SEC school (Alabama assistants need not apply).

While I completely agree with your assessment of AUGYM.. I do not completely agree with your list of potential candidates.  I do not think Phil Ogletree is ready to be head coach(personal assessment).  And I would like to see Auburn pluck a high quality coach out from under one of our biggest rivals.. namely Bryan Raschilla. I'd also like to see Tom Haley(OK) interview for the position.  Hopefully we will be looking for 2 coaches with one being a women.  Our facilities are top notch and the SEC is a big draw so I am guessing we will get a lot of interest in the position and attracting high caliber candidates.

WAR EAGLE!  :wareagle:

WDE

While I completely agree with your assessment of AUGYM.. I do not completely agree with your list of potential candidates.  I do not think Phil Ogletree is ready to be head coach(personal assessment).  And I would like to see Auburn pluck a high quality coach out from under one of our biggest rivals.. namely Bryan Raschilla. I'd also like to see Tom Haley(OK) interview for the position.  Hopefully we will be looking for 2 coaches with one being a women.  Our facilities are top notch and the SEC is a big draw so I am guessing we will get a lot of interest in the position and attracting high caliber candidates.

WAR EAGLE!   :wareagle:

I definitely won't disagree with Bryan Raschilla as someone who'd be a great candidate.  My personal opinion as well as what I have heard is that Bryan won't leave Alabama right now.  Maybe he thinks he'll be the next head coach there soon.  And I also don't disagree on Ogletree, but that was a name I'd heard from two different sources as a potential candidate.  I think Tom Haley is very comfortable in Oklahoma and IIRC his wife runs a club gym there.  If I were offering my personal opinion on which direction Auburn should go, I would try to find the next Rhonda Faehn (Florida head coach) or KJ Kindler (Oklahoma head coach, former Iowa St head coach), i.e. a dynamic young female coach who is a current assistant somewhere.  Perhaps Kurt Hettinger would remain on staff as an assistant to help make the transition easier for the girls on the team (as I was told he turned down the opportunity to join the Thompsons as an assistant at PSU).

WDE

I definitely won't disagree with Bryan Raschilla as someone who'd be a great candidate.  My personal opinion as well as what I have heard is that Bryan won't leave Alabama right now.  Maybe he thinks he'll be the next head coach there soon.  And I also don't disagree on Ogletree, but that was a name I'd heard from two different sources as a potential candidate.  I think Tom Haley is very comfortable in Oklahoma and IIRC his wife runs a club gym there.  If I were offering my personal opinion on which direction Auburn should go, I would try to find the next Rhonda Faehn (Florida head coach) or KJ Kindler (Oklahoma head coach, former Iowa St head coach), i.e. a dynamic young female coach who is a current assistant somewhere.  Perhaps Kurt Hettinger would remain on staff as an assistant to help make the transition easier for the girls on the team (as I was told he turned down the opportunity to join the Thompsons as an assistant at PSU).

I'm in complete agreement with you regarding the next Dynamic female coach.. we definitely need that..  I just can't think who would be ready.  My thoughts on Tom Haley aside from having personal knowledge of him is that he has ties to the Southeast having spent time in Alabama and Atlanta..and in the SEC having been an assistant at Kentucky.  He is a pretty solid recruiter and we definitely need a strong recruiter. 

My hope is that the Athletic Dept really puts in the effort to bringing a great candidate to the plains.  AUGYM has a strong following having finished in the top 5 or 6 in attendance the last several years.. I can't see that changing as long as we make a good hire.  I also really hope Kurt stays with the program!

This could turn out to be an exciting time for AUGYM!!

WDE!

WDE

I'm in complete agreement with you regarding the next Dynamic female coach.. we definitely need that..  I just can't think who would be ready.  My thoughts on Tom Haley aside from having personal knowledge of him is that he has ties to the Southeast having spent time in Alabama and Atlanta..and in the SEC having been an assistant at Kentucky.  He is a pretty solid recruiter and we definitely need a strong recruiter. 

My hope is that the Athletic Dept really puts in the effort to bringing a great candidate to the plains.  AUGYM has a strong following having finished in the top 5 or 6 in attendance the last several years.. I can't see that changing as long as we make a good hire.  I also really hope Kurt stays with the program!

WDE!

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "ready" to be head coach.  For me, the top two candidates would be Durante at Nebraska and Kruse at Illinois.  A quick check of their bios shows that both have been named National Assistant Coach of the year as well as Regional Asst coach of the year.  So that's obviously great credentials.  Durante has more experience, being at Washington before, and at Nebraska for about 7 years.  Nebraska was already really good when she got there, and have stayed pretty good, but did have a couple years recently where they didn't make NCAA championships.  Kruse has a couple years at Nebraska in the past, and 4 years at Illinois.  Less experience, but during her time at Illinois they went from a team nobody paid attention to, to a team that upset Auburn in 2009 to make NCAA championships.  So that is someone who made a program much better.  I don't know which would be a better recruiter.  I think either is as ready to lead a program as Rhonda Faehn was when she took over Florida, and that's what I'd want to see at Auburn.

WDE

WDE!

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "ready" to be head coach.  For me, the top two candidates would be Durante at Nebraska and Kruse at Illinois.  A quick check of their bios shows that both have been named National Assistant Coach of the year as well as Regional Asst coach of the year.  So that's obviously great credentials.  Durante has more experience, being at Washington before, and at Nebraska for about 7 years.  Nebraska was already really good when she got there, and have stayed pretty good, but did have a couple years recently where they didn't make NCAA championships.  Kruse has a couple years at Nebraska in the past, and 4 years at Illinois.  Less experience, but during her time at Illinois they went from a team nobody paid attention to, to a team that upset Auburn in 2009 to make NCAA championships.  So that is someone who made a program much better.  I don't know which would be a better recruiter.  I think either is as ready to lead a program as Rhonda Faehn was when she took over Florida, and that's what I'd want to see at Auburn.

I did a little research too and I think another name to add to the mix might be Larissa Libby(IOWA).  She has been named Regional Coach of the year.  She has experience in the SEC as both an assistant coach and a gymnast competing at LSU.  Iowa finished third at BIG 10's this past year.

It's all very interesting to say the least.

I just want to say thank you again for bring so much info on this subject. Who would have thought we would get this much response/energy about AU gymnastics. Once again thanks for all the info keep it coming. WDE

I just want to say thank you again for bring so much info on this subject. Who would have thought we would get this much response/energy about AU gymnastics. Once again thanks for all the info keep it coming. WDE

No Problem AUGOLF1716  I am really excited to see where AUGYM goes from here.  Unfortunately in the gymnastics community Auburn has taken a bit of a beaten the last few years.  I am really hoping this is our opportunity to show people what we are made of.  And while I think the Thompsons are nice enough I do think it was time for a change.  I know that is not the popular opinion but it's honestly how I feel.

No Problem AUGOLF1716  I am really excited to see where AUGYM goes from here.  Unfortunately in the gymnastics community Auburn has taken a bit of a beaten the last few years.  I am really hoping this is our opportunity to show people what we are made of.  And while I think the Thompsons are nice enough I do think it was time for a change.  I know that is not the popular opinion but it's honestly how I feel.

Tigermom just call me golf its easier. Once again thanks. Lets hope for brighter days for our gymnastics team. The girls deserve it.

WDE

WDE!

I did a little research too and I think another name to add to the mix might be Larissa Libby(IOWA).  She has been named Regional Coach of the year.  She has experience in the SEC as both an assistant coach and a gymnast competing at LSU.  Iowa finished third at BIG 10's this past year.

It's all very interesting to say the least.

I thought about Larissa Libby as well, since as you mentioned she does have SEC coaching experience as an assistant, and is a current head coach.  But after a closer look, I had to pass.  She did lead Iowa to 3rd in the Big 10 this year, but otherwise Iowa has been near the bottom of the Big 10 every year.  They've also either failed to make regionals recently a couple times, or if they did, they finished last or 2nd to last.  Final team rankings between 27-40.  That doesn't inspire confidence that she could come in and make Auburn better.  I think Auburn can, and must, do better.

BTW, I also want to say thanks to the others for the ideas shared here.

Archived