AUGYM - Thompsons are moving on

AUTigerMom62

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously hope the rumors that Randy Lane of Michigan St and Todd Henry of NC St. are getting interviews are not true.  Those would be very poor candidates for a job like Auburn.

I seriously hope the rumors that Randy Lane of Michigan St and Todd Henry of NC St. are getting interviews are not true.  Those would be very poor candidates for a job like Auburn.

I absolutely could not agree with you more.  Especially in the case of Todd Henry.  He is not an example of an Auburn Man.  Not too familiar with Lane but the little I have heard was not very positive.

I absolutely could not agree with you more.  Especially in the case of Todd Henry.  He is not an example of an Auburn Man.  Not too familiar with Lane but the little I have heard was not very positive.

If the coaching search is really looking to interview more than just Durante and Graba, they should reach out to Tom Haley at Oklahoma and Amy Kruse at Illinois to see if they are interested in interviewing.  Honestly, there's no reason to even waste time with Lane or Henry.  They aren't the caliber of the others discussed here.

If the coaching search is really looking to interview more than just Durante and Graba, they should reach out to Tom Haley at Oklahoma and Amy Kruse at Illinois to see if they are interested in interviewing.  Honestly, there's no reason to even waste time with Lane or Henry.  They aren't the caliber of the others discussed here.

Are these asst coaches or head coaches at their respective schools? And why are they so bad?

Are these asst coaches or head coaches at their respective schools? And why are they so bad?

Both are assistants (Lane at Michigan St, Henry at NC St).  I don't have anything personally against either, but neither Michigan St nor NC State are programs that are Top 20 in gymnastics, or are teams on the rise.  They are average programs.  Neither assistant has shown they can bring their program to a higher level.  Neither are decorated with coching honors like Haley, Durante, Kruse, or Raschilla.  And culturally, I don't think either would fit.  I think others can speak further as to some negative opinions of Henry based on personal interaction.

Both are assistants (Lane at Michigan St, Henry at NC St).  I don't have anything personally against either, but neither Michigan St nor NC State are programs that are Top 20 in gymnastics, or are teams on the rise.  They are average programs.  Neither assistant has shown they can bring their program to a higher level.  Neither are decorated with coching honors like Haley, Durante, Kruse, or Raschilla.  And culturally, I don't think either would fit.  I think others can speak further as to some negative opinions of Henry based on personal interaction.

Excellent points. I would not understand going after an asst. from a program that is not even in the top 20. Is the Auburn job looked upon as only a stepping stone or can we really be a consistant top 5 program? Hopefully you don't mind me asking so many questions.

With the right head coach, Auburn can be a program that makes the Super 6 with regularity.  Everything is there to be successful at that level.  That's why the past 4 or more years under the Thompsons have been so disappointing, and national perception is that way.

Facilities are Top 5.  Fan support is great.  But there has to be a staff there who can recruit with the likes of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc.  It hasn't been good enough.  And the coaching needs to be better - from the technical aspects to instilling a belief and team chemistry.  It has appeared that the program lacked chemistry and girls who believed they could succeed.

So our girls felt inferior to the UF, UGA and turds of the world. Or they felt no matter how good they did the judges would score them lower? Or both

I'm not sure inferior would be the right word.  I think they knew that UGA, UF and Bama had stronger teams.  This is where we have to change.  Gymnasts should continue to grow once they come to college.. both technically and in their approach to competing.  For the first time gymnasts are competing as a team - in club level it's more about what you accomplish individually.  So we need to recruit harder, coach better and come together as a team to accomplish a collective goal.  All this will happen with the right coach.

I'm not sure inferior would be the right word.  I think they knew that UGA, UF and Bama had stronger teams.  This is where we have to change.  Gymnasts should continue to grow once they come to college.. both technically and in their approach to competing.  For the first time gymnasts are competing as a team - in club level it's more about what you accomplish individually.  So we need to recruit harder, coach better and come together as a team to accomplish a collective goal.  All this will happen with the right coach.

I would agree with that, for sure.  I also would say that "belief" includes a coach having a relationship with each girl on the team so that each girl knows that when they go out on each event, they know they will hit, that the coach believes in them, and each girl will perform to their potential.  With that type of belief, it doesn't matter if Alabama or Florida are supposed to be better, because the girls are competing to be the best they can be.

With Randy Lane getting an interview yesterday, I question very much whether he's the type of person to bring that to Auburn.  His career is on a downhill path rather than being an up and coming assistant.  Being terminated at Florida and then being part of a Michigan St program that is very average and hasn't shown good recruiting or improvement during his time there.  Hopefully the other candidates have successful interviews.

Rumor has it a hire has been made.  They are saying Jeff Graba Asst Coach at Utah is the choice.

BIO:http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/w-gym/mtt/graba_jeff00.html

Can't get confirmation - has anyone else heard anything?

Rumor has it a hire has been made.  They are saying Jeff Graba Asst Coach at Utah is the choice.

I heard the same thing.  Graba is a very good and well respected coach.  This could be a great hire if Graba can hire a great staff as well.

I heard the same thing.  Graba is a very good and well respected coach.  This could be a great hire if Graba can hire a great staff as well.

Looks like he is the man. Lets hope it turns out to be that good hire you all ahve talked about.

Archived