2012 5* QB Jameis Winston (FSU signee)

RunInRed

Yeah, if he has the talent to excel in the majors he definitely shouldn't take a chance on getting hurt playing football. Baseball is much easier on the body.

Yeah and quite frankly, QB's don't have a good track record of not getting hurt against us...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqI-xpP2OMo

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, if he has the talent to excel in the majors he definitely shouldn't take a chance on getting hurt playing football. Baseball is much easier on the body.

Yeah and quite frankly, QB's don't have a good track record of not getting hurt against us...

Well I was talking in general... but that too.

And no I'm not celebrating that he got a concussion. I am glad someone put him on his butt though.

Well I was talking in general... but that too.

And no I'm not celebrating that he got a concussion. I am glad someone put him on his butt though.

He needed it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbyrgzP5w4w&feature=related

I talk to Jameis quite often and if he goes to college it will be as a dual sport athlete.  His ERA was 1.92 as a sophmore.  He is going to have to bulk up a good bit over the next year.  This past season Stanford came to watch him play, but due to an off the field issue Coach Scott didn't allow him to play qb at all.  The only thing they let him do during the game was punt. 

MLB-Lock. Will be a 1st round draft pick

My thoughts exactly. I've seen too many careers altered by not going with the sport you're better at. Kyle Parker most recently. Gabe Gross for Auburn, but his got back on track. Brandon Weedon for Okie State played baseball first as well. And of course, Bo Jackson. Hems be smart if he took the long-term career in baseball, and it's the sport he excels the most in.

I guess you could throw Charlie Ward in the mix as well.

• 1 month later...

Per AuburnUndercover he is visiting today

Many people are saying he will never play college football. Apparently MLB teams likes him very much.

Per AuburnUndercover he is visiting today

Many people are saying he will never play college football. Apparently MLB teams likes him very much.

This

6'4 and touching 94 on the gun....yep

I can give you a little background on Winston as I live in a close city to Hueytown.

This kid's future is in baseball. I have watched him play oboth football and baseball and he is a pretty good quaterback that likes to run, but his baseball skills are unmatched by many in the state of Alabama. He throws a power fastball and a strong slider as his out pitch.

While he projects to be a good, possible great college QB, Winston's future in my opinion is baseball as he has a great chance to make it to the big leagues

Jameis just wrapped the Jefferson County Championship and I watched him win the Gulf Coast tournament in Foley this past week.  His Dad is very involved in the recruitment and if he plays college he wants to be a dual sport athlete.  It is hard to see his full potential while watching him play in Hueytown.  He ran the box and spread so far under two coaching staffs and has really excelled under Coach Scotts offense.

Jameis just wrapped the Jefferson County Championship and I watched him win the Gulf Coast tournament in Foley this past week.  His Dad is very involved in the recruitment and if he plays college he wants to be a dual sport athlete.  It is hard to see his full potential while watching him play in Hueytown.  He ran the box and spread so far under two coaching staffs and has really excelled under Coach Scotts offense.

Good thing for him that Auburn's baseball is just as good of a program as their football program. He could be a great in both.

Came dow nm with his coach. Met with the football and baseball coaches. Liked the visit. It helped AU's chances. Will be back soon with his parents. Wants to decide before his senior yr.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure I really want us going after Winston, at least not unless we sign another QB, because of his MLB status. He'd have to be crazy not to take the likely 3-5 million guaranteed he'd get if drafted in the first round (which he'd be able to negotiate even on the lower end of the first round because of the prospect of playing college football being a huge selling point, like Jeff Francoeur did when he turned down Clemson to play for the Braves). Don't get me wrong, he's an outstanding QB prospect, and it makes me drool to think about what he could do in our offense, but I just don't see him playing college ball unless he goes to the MLB and somehow doesn't pan out.

Seems like LSU had a QB like that a few years back, but for the life of me I can't remember his name. :dunno:

Its very hard for a qb to play both sports in college. Football coaches dont want a qb to miss spring and baseball coaches dont want to lose a player for 3 weeks

Archived