Thoughts on who we land as a top-notch RB this class?

My guess is we'll only go after 1, since we're fairly deep @ the moment.  If so, would that be a Greg Bryant or a Derrick Green?  Maybe even a bigger back like Ty Isaac?  How about someone closer to home like Tyshon Dye or Alvin Kamara?

I will expect us to pursue signing 2 top 20 running backs every year.  Injuries are to prevalent at this position to not bring in 2 yearly.  Now it appears 1 fb a year as well (maybe 1 of each but I would think 3 total)

My guess is we'll only go after 1, since we're fairly deep @ the moment.  If so, would that be a Greg Bryant or a Derrick Green?  Maybe even a bigger back like Ty Isaac?  How about someone closer to home like Tyshon Dye or Alvin Kamara?

Since we only have 8 of 13 slots left open at the moment, I would expect we sign 1 RB for the '13 class. I think you just named the ones I would pick from with Ty Isaac then Ty Dye being my personal choices. The defense will probably get the lion's share of the remaining slots, which are at a premium.

Where are we getting this 13 slots thing from?

shouldn't that be 16 slots? 13 seniors and 3 roll over from this year (25 possible in 2012 - 22 signed = 3 rollover)?

shouldn't that be 16 slots? 13 seniors and 3 roll over from this year (25 possible in 2012 - 22 signed = 3 rollover)?

I'm not sure what the numbers are, but however many we are under 85 right now, it's that number plus 13 that we will have room for.

I will expect us to pursue signing 2 top 20 running backs every year.  Injuries are to prevalent at this position to not bring in 2 yearly.  Now it appears 1 fb a year as well (maybe 1 of each but I would think 3 total)

I'm really not sure, to be honest. I mean, by the time we sign the 2013 class, unless someone leaves unexpectedly, we'll have two rising juniors (Mason and Grant), a rising sophomore (Blakely), and likely a rising redshirt freshman (Robinson). Six is really the highest I would go with running backs, and if you sign two in 2013, then the number is reached and there's not room for another back in 2014 unless someone leaves early. I would think it would make more sense to sign one back this year, with our limited numbers, and sign another the next year, thereby keeping a fresh set of legs waiting in the wings while leaving room for more in the future.

But what the heck do I know?

Of those you mentioned, I'd say Dye and Bryant are the most likely. I don't see us pursuing another big back this year unless we end up with the numbers to go after a second guy.

If for no other reason, I just like his name. Ty Dye.

:thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the numbers are, but however many we are under 85 right now, it's that number plus 13 that we will have room for.

Exactly and I think we are hitting right up on the 85 right now (finally) so we don't have much room.

Exactly and I think we are hitting right up on the 85 right now (finally) so we don't have much room.

Actually, I think we're still more at 82-83, to be honest. That's not a bad thing, because most teams stay between 80 and 85 (due to unexpected attrition and the like), but I don't think we're all the way up to 85 yet. I mean, if we were, why were we still pursuing so many players who ended up elsewhere on signing day?

Actually, I think we're still more at 82-83, to be honest. That's not a bad thing, because most teams stay between 80 and 85 (due to unexpected attrition and the like), but I don't think we're all the way up to 85 yet. I mean, if we were, why were we still pursuing so many players who ended up elsewhere on signing day?

I think that is about right. Last I checked it was 83ish not including Grant and Coleman so we are pushing right up on the 85 limit.

In counting on this link, I came up with 83. I left out the ones that I didn't remember getting a scholarship or who are no longer on the team, but included Grant and Coleman. It's perfectly possible that I miscounted, or that I misjudged who has a scholarship and who doesn't, but :dunno:

If for no other reason, I just like his name. Ty Dye.

:thumbsup:

Add him to Dee Liner and we're on our way to the All Name Team 2013.

Archived