Best College Football Season Ever

AUTUmike

I haven't been around too long, but I recognize Cam Newton's 2010 season was one of--if not THE--best in college football history. I wasn't around to witness it but I also have always been blown away by Barry Sanders' season at OK State where he rushed for something like 2,700 yards. Who do you guys think has the best single-season in college football history?

There have been some great individual seasons in college football.

Barry Sanders 1988 season was insane.

*2850 rushing (237.5 yds/gm)

*42 TD's

Those are pretty insane numbers.

Compare them to Cam's 2010...

*2854 passing, 30 TD's

*1473 rushing, 20 TD's

IMO, it is hard to compare apples to apples since they play different positions.

Barry's numbers are epic fro a single-season. His previous two seasons were nothing to speak of.

Cam playing QB gives him an advantage. His season was preceded by a JUCO National Championship.

If you compare the two, taking nothing but numbers into account, it is Cam, no doubt. That isn't a knock on Barry, his season will most likely never be matched again.

Tommie Frazier had a few good ones at Nebraska too.

what? you've got to be kidding

He was unstoppable running the option, he had some very good years.  Not Cam-like, but none really can compare.

Here are a few that stick out in My mind. Not saying that these were better than Cam's 2010 season, But these were impressive to me.

LaDainian Tomlinson @ TCU: Pick a year.

Steve "Air " McNair @ Alcorn State: Senior Year.I actually had a chance to see him play in person. I still think he had one of the strongest arms ever in college football.

Marshal Faulk @ San Diego State. IMHO He did more with less than any other "Big Time" College back.

Now one season that really sticks out to me  not only because of the impact he had on the field, But the story of how he came to Auburn. Jason Miska's 1993 season.

He was unstoppable running the option, he had some very good years.  Not Cam-like, but none really can compare.

Jamelle Hollieway ran the option better then anyone I've ever seen

Jamelle Hollieway ran the option better then anyone I've ever seen

I agree with that. He was the man when it came to running the option.

If I remember correctly, Jim McMahon had a ridiculous season at BYU............

Ok, had to go look it up...

He set 32 NCAA records, including single-season records for yards of total offense (4,627), passing yards (4,571), touchdown passes (47), and passing efficiency (176.9).

Cam was off the charts,  the best I've ever seen.

A non AU running back, Bo knows no equal,  that came to mind was Earl Campbell @ UT Austin,  in 1977:

A  consensus All-America

Led the nation in rushing with 1,744 yards

Won the first  Davey O'Brien Memorial Trophy( awarded to the most outstanding player in the old  Southwest Conference)

Won the Heisman Trophy

He was brutal running back.

Of the names I've read, Tommy Frazier was the only one to lead his team to the national championship in 96, I believe. But for a single season I have to go with Cam. You talk about a season in the sun...2010 was that and more.

14 - 0 Cam.      All he did was win every game.  Whatever it took he did.  You gonna give up 43 points to Ark.  Ok, we will just score 65.   

Okay call me a Auburn homer but I don't care.  What about Auburn in 1993 as an overall team effort.  The best team on the radio that year.  War Eagle

Archived