OL Starters, Post Spring practice- who you got ?

IronMan70

One of my favorite topics to keep up with and discuss is the Big Uglies on the OL because they are so important. If they don't go the offense doesn't go, period. So with that in mind, who do you think will be penciled in as the OL starters after Spring practice ? This is my list.

LT- Robinson, LG- Westerman, C- Dismukes, RG- Mack, RT- Sullen

RT-RG backup- Slade

LT-LG backup- O'Reilly

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LT, LG, and C are pretty set at this point, it seems. My first thought was that Sullen would play RG and Slade would play RT, but your lineup might well be the best one.

LT: Robinson

LG: Westerman

C:  Dismukes

RG: Sullen

RT: Slade

This was exactly my thought. Sullen and Slade should get the nod after 11 starts and 10 starts, respectively, last year. Even though they both played mostly guard with a little bit of tackle mixed in, my opinion is that Slade is better tackle and Sullen is a better guard.  Dismukes is locked in.  Speculation would lead me to say Robinson and Westerman even though they have no experience.

I saw Mack on the transit one morning a few weeks ago. He still doesn't look very in-shape, from what I could tell... not that I'm an expert.

The Bigbird lineup is the conventional wisdom for sure. I'm still thinking Mack is the natural guard so I am going to back him at that RG spot. That frees up Sully and Slade to concentrate on that RT slot. Whoever wins that job, the other will be able to backup at both right side positions. I dont think Mack would be able to back up both positions as effectively, but, he would be an excellent starting RG for the next 3 years .

My thought process is to solidify as many of the 5 positions for the next 3 years as possible. Robinson, Westerman, Dismukes and Mack "could" solidify 4 spots for 3 years. At RT, if Slade wins the job he has 3 years to play too or if Sully wins it for 1 year, Slade is right in line.  All the young guns we just signed will also be chomping at the bit to win that RT job next year, as well as pushing all the other starters and trying to take their jobs too. However, I think on the right side for sure next year, all bets will be off with the likes of Diamond, Young and Miller in training.

Anyway, that's how I am thinking. In a year or so, with the talent we have, there will hardly be any drop off in the 5 backup players along the entire line.

I'm still thinking Mack is the natural guard so I am going to back him at that RG spot. That frees up Sully and Slade to concentrate on that RT slot. Whoever wins that job, the other will be able to backup at both right side positions. I dont think Mack would be able to back up both positions as effectively, but he would be an excellent starting RG for the next 3 years .

My thought process is to solidify as many of the 5 positions for the next 3 years as possible. Robinson, Westerman, Dismukes and Mack could solidify 4 solid spots for 3 years. At RT,if Slade wins the job he has 3 years to play or if Sully wins it for 1 year, Slade is right in line with all the young guns we just signed chomping at the bit to win that RT job next year as well as pushing all the starters to take their jobs too. Anyway, that's how I am thinking.     

The very fact that we signed so many top rated linemen in February might indicate that Sullen will be playing RT: a year for the freshmen linemen to mature before they take over. If the Mack/Sullen combo is even close to as good as the Sullen/Slade combo or the Mack/Slade, then we might see that happen simply to keep those players from being locked out by a two year returning starter (if he were to start this year, that is).

My bet goes with Bigbird lineup.

LT:Sullen

LG:Westerman

C: Dismukes

RG:Mack

RT:Slade

This will allow an unseasoned player to have seasoned players on each side. Westerman will play between two previous starters as well as mack. I think that this would be the best way to bring in the new guys to the line.

Robinson has turned some heads, but you can't beat experience (as we found out last year). I think Robinson ends up being the key back up (like slade was for the first part of the year) and replaces sullen next year. This would also give robinson 4 experienced starters to work with.

If I were making the decision from a purely logical standpoint, this would be my starting five. However, this doesn't account for work ethic and players playing at their potential. Mack could easily get shifted out and Robinson in.

This will allow an unseasoned player to have seasoned players on each side. Westerman will play between two previous starters as well as mack. I think that this would be the best way to bring in the new guys to the line.

Robinson has turned some heads, but you can't beat experience (as we found out last year). I think Robinson ends up being the key back up (like slade was for the first part of the year) and replaces sullen next year. This would also give robinson 4 experienced starters to work with.

If I were making the decision from a purely logical standpoint, this would be my starting five. However, this doesn't account for work ethic and players playing at their potential. Mack could easily get shifted out and Robinson in.

From what I've heard you can pretty much go ahead and pencil GR in as the starter for the LT spot.

Not gonna happen. Greg Robinson has been slated as this year's LT since the day he stepped on campus, if not sooner. Besides, the longer the unit works together, the better it's going to be, so it makes sense to me to go ahead an anchor the left side with two players who were both among the top 50 players in the country two signing days ago, especially when you include the link to Dismukes at center.

I totally agree.

This. Hopefully Slade  develops that mean streak this year.

i think the OL will perform very well with inexperienced LT & LG ...

1. dismukes will no longer be inexperienced 

2. if we trully run a downhill run game then that will accent robinson and westermans' supposed strengths (mean/nasty)

3. we will have an experienced, capable and nasty FB for help in pass protection - this could be the most important puzzle piece.

4. loeffler should be enabling the QB (via scheme and coaching) to be more adept at helping the OL

5. oh yea, did i mention downhill run game with nastyness blocking in the trenches!

- of course this all assumes the entire O can pick up the new offensive scheme -

Yeah, actually, the most important player on the O-line with regard to experience is generally the center, because he's usually the one adjusting blocking assignments and such.

With regard to picking up the offensive scheme, I really don't think it's anywhere close to as complicated as everyone seems to be making it. I mean, at the end of the day, there are only so many different types of plays you can run, even if they have different terminology attached to them. The fact that we have the same position coaches everywhere except QB on offense should make a pretty significant impact, both because only the QBs will have to get used to a new coaching style while Loeffler has the advantage of being able to draw from the knowledge of our old offense by talking to those position coaches.

RG seems to be were the battle is going to be between Sullen and Mack.  I feel pretty confident about the other 4 spots.

don't forget about O'reily in that battle

IMHO at the end of the day Coach Grimes will opt for experience and physical maturity over raw talent. So the starters will likely be:

C:  Dismukes

For the reserves:  

Because both Sullen and Slade can play either Guard or Tackle and in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I look for O’Reilly to be the first in the game with Sullen moving over to a tackle spot if necessary.  Also O’Reilly seems to fit Grime’s mold of athletic linemen better than Mack.  

If we need to call on one of the true freshmen I think you would see them in this order: Diamond, Callahan, and then Kozan because physically they appear to be the most ready.

We have two talented guys slated to start on the left side. It is not going to be without growing pains starting two RS freshmen on the QB's blindside in the SEC. The OL is one area that youth can still be used as an excuse.

Admittedly they will be first year starters but the good thing is that Robby and Westy have been playing together as a team for a year now and learning each other's tendencies. This while they have been getting themselves "strength ready" to be starting SEC linemen. Its funny you bring up the blindside point because I was thinking about that very thing the other day. I had thought that I'm not sure I would want anybody but Robinson at LT protecting the blindside of our QB this year. I think that left side is going to be solid and a heck of lot meaner now with those 2. I like mean.

We have two talented guys slated to start on the left side. It is not going to be without growing pains starting two RS freshmen on the QB's blindside in the SEC. The OL is one area that youth can still be used as an excuse.

Admittedly they will be first year starters but the good thing is that Robby and Westy have been playing together as a team for a year now and learning each other's tendencies. This while they have been getting themselves "strength ready" to be starting SEC linemen. Its funny you bring up the blindside point because I was thinking about that very thing the other day. I had thought that I'm not sure I would want anybody but Robinson at LT protecting the blindside of our QB this year. I think that left side is going to be solid and a heck of lot meaner now with those 2. I like mean.

I know there isn't anyone on the team that I'd rather have occupying those two spots.

RG seems to be were the battle is going to be between Sullen and Mack.  I feel pretty confident about the other 4 spots.

don't forget about O'reily in that battle

Yep, I had kind of forgotten about O'rielly.  I was real high on him coming out of high school, so here is hoping that he's fully recovered from his injury and ready to go this spring!

Archived