Who will be the starting Quarterback in 2012?

caleb1633

Not who you want, but who you honestly think will  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Not who you want, but who you honestly think will

• Kiehl Frazier
    • Clint Moseley

I say KF. I think Lefty is going to work with him and have him ready to go. We'll use the run game to get him comfortable at first and gradually let him have more responsibility.

War Damn!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ability to move in the pocket will be so valuable for us this year.

Also, watching some of the spring practice videos:

It looks like his ball has sooooo much more velocity than anyone else, he looks more crisp in his footwork and drop backs, and he looks like he has the control and just looks like the top QB.

The Ability to move in the pocket will be so valuable for us this year.

Also, watching some of the spring practice videos:

It looks like his ball has sooooo much more velocity than anyone else, he looks more crisp in his footwork and drop backs, and he looks like he has the control and just looks like the top QB.

forgot to say I was talking about KF haha

Dual threat QB is what helped lead us to the National Championship.  Frazier without a doubt!  Question is will Moseley stick around to be backup or will Pike be the backup? Pike is pretty mobile too.

100-1.gif

If Mosley wins the starting job, we are in big trouble.....go Kiehl, you got the tools...

eagle.gif

I still say it will be Clint. Kiehl just hasn't shown that he can play at this level. I'm not saying he never will. I'm just saying that he needs to finish growing up. At this time last year, the guy had just finished HIGH SCHOOL. From the footage that was shown yesterday, we really can't make any guesses. Both took some snaps with dismukes. Frazier took a few more, but that was because there was already film of Moseley with the first team. Frazier hasn't taken snaps with the first team before. Loeffler more than likely just wanted to see how he handled it. Besides, with us going to more of a multiple look (and using more pro sets), frazier won't be comfortable with that yet. Moseley is more of a pro style quarterback. Frazier's footwork looked good, but his release looked questionable and he appeared to be off balance on the throws. Moseley's footwork was bad, but his release looked a little better. I don't even think it matters who the best QB is. Next year's qb is going to be a ball distributor.  The quarterback that wins the start will probably be the quarterback that will best fit our current needs. Does Loeffler want experience and power to distribute the ball in the passing game or speed and elusivity to run the read option frequently? The answer to that may depend on O-line play. If he desides on the first, it will likely be moseley. If he decides on the second, it will likely be Frazier. I think our O-line will be much improved. That, mixed with the fact that Loeffler wants to incorporate a more pro look into the offense, makes me think he wants to get away from this read option stuff. If that is the case, it will likely be Moseley.

With all due respect to the QB's on the team, they are all Auburn men, if people do not think the talent level favors  KF they have an opinion as opposed to an observation of facts. I do believe the QB race started out on equal footing. CM's year certainly didn't give him a leg up on calling it his own, that wasn't all his fault.

Don't want to start out the spring with negatives, but I agree with the poster that says if it isn't KF we are in trouble.

With all due respect to the QB's on the team, they are all Auburn men, if people do not think the talent level favors  KF they have an opinion as opposed to an observation of facts. I do believe the QB race started out on equal footing. CM's year certainly didn't give him a leg up on calling it his own, that wasn't all his fault.

Don't want to start out the spring with negatives, but I agree with the poster that says if it isn't KF we are in trouble.

But there is more to a competetion than talent. There have been some truly great quarterbacks that weren't particularly athletic. We don't necessarily need a fast, athletic quarterback. We just need someone to distribute the ball.

On of those players was the offensive player of the year in more than one awards process. Neither one of them has a college resume that lights up the world just yet.

A qb who is able to also run the ball when called upon is also distributing the ball. Much more of a threat on the surface. Reality still has to play out obviously. It may or may not happen.

The QB race is really down to two men; Frazier and Moseley. While Pike has a lot of potential, his potential is raw right now. Two years from now, under Loeffler, he will definitely be in the mix and I do see him ultimately starting for the Orange and Blue. But for now, it is between Frazier and Moseley.

Frazier has more athletic ability and a better overall frame. From the extremely limited practice films, Kiehl seemed to have the best overall form as well. Where he will need work is in the mental part of the game. Kiehl is tasked with learning the new system. Kiehl himself stated that he is not used to lining up and calling the plays in his post practice interviews. Kiehl will have to learn how to do read defenses and adjust the plays calls himself. That is part of Loeffler's system, and it is required.

Moseley is better equipped at calling plays and being a pure pocket QB. He does not have Kiehl's speed nor ability to run away from the rush. His arm is not quite as strong as Kiehl's, but he is an accurate passer with more experience in the SEC as a true overall QB. He has also been in the position of adjusting to defenses out of high school. He is older and more experienced. Clint also has a "hate to lose" mentality that will keep him competitive.

That being said, at the end of the practice season, I think Kiehl wins out. This is suppose to be his year to start. Last year Kiehl was used as to help the team overall, but mainly to get him used to SEC play. The coaches knew he needed the exposure, but did not want him to fulfill the starting QB role until he had more time to train and be more sure of himself. That is why he was limited to the play calling. This year, Malzahn fully expected him to take the reigns and I do not think it will be any different under Loeffler. It is Kiehl's job to lose at this point.  If he progresses, learns the system, and makes good decisions, he starts. If he does not quite grasp the system or is unsure of his decisions, Moseley will start.

Finally, you do not recruit and land a 5* QB and expect him to warm the bench. You do not take the # 1 dual threat QB in the nation and expect him to be in a backup role. You expect, when you recruit him, for him to be the man. True, sometimes it does not work out that way due to the inability to adjust to SEC play or due to injuries.  That being said, Kiehl was drafted to become the next Jason Campbell, Pat Sullivan, or Dameyune Craig. 

Addendum:

I am not going to put Kiehl in the Cam Newton league. To me, this is totally unfair, and I do not see anyone playing, for any team, anywhere (Pro or College) with Cam Newton type potential.

I hope Auburn fans do not expect Kiehl to be a Cam Newton type QB either. Cam's only come once in a quarter century. Cam Newton has proven he is the Bo Jackson of QBs.  Could Kiehl be a Heisman contender before he leaves the plains? Absolutely! He definitely has that kind of raw potential. I truly  hope it comes to pass and Kiehl becomes the 4th Heisman winner for the Auburn family.  He has the potential, now it is up to Kiehl and Loeffler to make it happen.

I still say it will be Clint. Kiehl just hasn't shown that he can play at this level. I'm not saying he never will. I'm just saying that he needs to finish growing up. At this time last year, the guy had just finished HIGH SCHOOL. From the footage that was shown yesterday, we really can't make any guesses. Both took some snaps with dismukes. Frazier took a few more, but that was because there was already film of Moseley with the first team. Frazier hasn't taken snaps with the first team before. Loeffler more than likely just wanted to see how he handled it. Besides, with us going to more of a multiple look (and using more pro sets), frazier won't be comfortable with that yet. Moseley is more of a pro style quarterback. Frazier's footwork looked good, but his release looked questionable and he appeared to be off balance on the throws. Moseley's footwork was bad, but his release looked a little better. I don't even think it matters who the best QB is. Next year's qb is going to be a ball distributor.  The quarterback that wins the start will probably be the quarterback that will best fit our current needs. Does Loeffler want experience and power to distribute the ball in the passing game or speed and elusivity to run the read option frequently? The answer to that may depend on O-line play. If he desides on the first, it will likely be moseley. If he decides on the second, it will likely be Frazier. I think our O-line will be much improved. That, mixed with the fact that Loeffler wants to incorporate a more pro look into the offense, makes me think he wants to get away from this read option stuff. If that is the case, it will likely be Moseley.

IMO none of the QB's on the roster have proven they can play at this level. You've argued that Moseley has the experience, but what has he done to show that he should be the front runner? He played mediocre at best and sub par most of the time. I agree with you in thinking it's crazy to say one had a better practice than the other based on 3 minutes of warm ups and drills footage, but the thing I'm going on is what CGM said before the bowl game that KF was the best QB on the roster and would be starting next year. Now granted he's not here now, but that statement still speaks volumes. I believe Trotter would have stayed if he truly didn't know who would be starting in '12. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if CM has a fire lit under his butt and comes out on top. I just hope there is not a "fan controversy" on who the QB should be like there has been 4 out of the last 6 years. I want someone to step up and take control of the position.

You got that from one year in college? Come on. How many QBs prove in one year that they can play at this level?  :dunno:

Why is Pike automatically being excluded from a chance of winning this years QB race? He did play in a pro style offense in high school and they all three are starting fresh with new Auburn offense and new OC/QB coach.

What if he catches on faster than the others and earns the eye of OC.

Those saying KF are going on what?

probably the fact that we don't really have anybody else? Mosley threw more td's to the other team than for auburn  

Why is Pike automatically being excluded from a chance of winning this years QB race? He did play in a pro style offense in high school and they all three are starting fresh with new Auburn offense and new OC/QB coach.

What if he catches on faster than the others and earns the eye of OC.

Pike is as green as a QB as the grass is this early Spring. He will get his chance down the road as he matures as a QB.

I honestly believe Frazier gives us our best chances of winning a NC. He has the size, the arm, the pedigree, and he have even gotten bigger and faster from last season. The experience he gain from last season is extremely valuable even though it was only as a wildcat QB. If Malzahn's evaluations of Kiehl Frazier are right, and he lives up to expectations, the future will be bright with him under center for the next few years.

Those saying KF are going on what?

probably the fact that we don't really have anybody else? Mosley threw more td's to the other team than for auburn  

Not completely accurate but close 5 tds to 3 picks.  But all 3 picks were returned for tds.

Archived