This play forever gives me chills

kevon67

I remember on his second or third carry of the game, he fumbled, and I was like oh no, here we go again.

Then he just wore those guys out after that.

Went on to raise the bar even higher for all future Auburn RB'S.

I remember on his second or third carry of the game, he fumbled, and I was like oh no, here we go again.

Rudi rushed for 174 yards and three TDs that game  :wareagle:

Rudi rushed for 174 yards and three TDs that game  :wareagle:

Incredible for his first performance.

I had forgotten that run...thanks for the memory!

That's what we are getting back to baby! Also, this ANIMAL of a big hit was in that game too I believe:

Careful what you wish for!!  443 Total yards against a scrub team or 500+ total yards against a defense like LSUs in 2010...I'm hoping Loeffler's offenses continue improving upon what we've seen at Auburn through the Malzahn offenses combined with a good defense something Malzahn really didn't have the benefit of at all  :banghead:

Wyoming      Auburn

First downs                  15          19

Rushed-yards              27-29      45-177

Passing yards              213        266

Sacked-yards lost          4-31        3-25

Return yards                  0          74

Passes                  20-36-1    12-21-0

Punts                    9-44.2      5-40.8

Fumbles-lost                0-0        0-2

Penalties-yards            5-47        4-50

Time of possession        27:45      32:15

The only thing I hope we get away from is all the reverses and crazy 5 yard deep sweeps that CGM loved.  Good defenses never fell for all the extra motion and we ended up in a 2nd and long situation.  The key to helping our offense is being productive on 1st downs so we can use playaction to slow down the defensive pass rush.  I think this years pro style offense will produce 21 to 28 pts a game, but the biggest improvement will be T.O.P. Our defense will look better if they are not on the field every 3 minutes...

That's what we are getting back to baby! Also, this ANIMAL of a big hit was in that game too I believe:

Careful what you wish for!!  443 Total yards against a scrub team or 500+ total yards against a defense like LSUs in 2010...I'm hoping Loeffler's offenses continue improving upon what we've seen at Auburn through the Malzahn offenses combined with a good defense something Malzahn really didn't have the benefit of at all  :banghead:

Wyoming      Auburn

First downs                  15          19

Rushed-yards              27-29      45-177

Passing yards               213         266

Sacked-yards lost          4-31        3-25

Return yards                  0          74

Passes                  20-36-1     12-21-0

Punts                    9-44.2      5-40.8

Fumbles-lost                0-0         0-2

Penalties-yards            5-47        4-50

Time of possession        27:45       32:15

I've come to believe that Malzhan's offense and good defense are mutually exclusive.  My gut tells me that a stipulation of getting Coach BVG was to change our offense away from the hurry up.  The bottom line is we can have great defense and a ball control offense, or we can shoot for the stars on offense and accept a bend-but-only-occassionally-break defense.  I'm not sure I understand why this is, other than the obvious benefit of giving your opponent fewer possessions and having better rested players.  It must hurt the defense to practice against a spread offense/hurry-up offense.

The only thing I hope we get away from is all the reverses and crazy 5 yard deep sweeps that CGM loved.  Good defenses never fell for all the extra motion and we ended up in a 2nd and long situation.  The key to helping our offense is being productive on 1st downs so we can use playaction to slow down the defensive pass rush.  I think this years pro style offense will produce 21 to 28 pts a game, but the biggest improvement will be T.O.P. Our defense will look better if they are not on the field every 3 minutes...

Well said. Also wasn't a huge fan of the bubble screen. I know it was partially  ineffective because of our WR blocking but I still don't like the play.

Back to the OP... I showed my girlfriend, who is from Wyoming but attends Auburn, both video clips and all she could say was, "My poor Cowboys... ".  It was like someone was picking on her little brother. Let's hope we can dish out more of that hurtin' this year(against Clempsun and  SEC teams) .

That was an awesome call by Mike Tirico. He's one of the very best at his job. I wish he still called college football. There aren't many like him. Big fan right here.

That was an awesome call by Mike Tirico. He's one of the very best at his job. I wish he still called college football. There aren't many like him. Big fan right here.

Completely agree. I love how all he could say was, "Rudi Johnson! Rudi Johnson! Rudi Johnson! Rudi Johnson! "

[/quote

All I know is CGM offenses were some the most productive in Auburn history - and won a BCS title, I appreciate the memories of 3 yards and a cloud of dust football but they really were just that good memories, no championships. Lefty and BVG have some pretty big shoes to fill CGM broke records with his offense, coached a heisman winning QB, 1000 yard rusher as freshman in Dyer, helped reinvent AU downfield passing game  ...and oh yeah and a BCS title. While old Ted Roof had one of the top rush defenses in the SEC and a Lombardi winner in Nick. They got big shoes to fill....I feel BVG is definitely up to task because of his prior SEC experience, and the fact the defense was not statistically good under Roof, as for Lefty he has to replace the best OC in Auburn history...tough task.

I've come to believe that Malzhan's offense and good defense are mutually exclusive.  My gut tells me that a stipulation of getting Coach BVG was to change our offense away from the hurry up.  The bottom line is we can have great defense and a ball control offense, or we can shoot for the stars on offense and accept a bend-but-only-occassionally-break defense.  I'm not sure I understand why this is, other than the obvious benefit of giving your opponent fewer possessions and having better rested players.  It must hurt the defense to practice against a spread offense/hurry-up offense.

I can see where you are coming from but I've seen too many Tubberville teams play pathetic offense and still play great defense and win or lose a close game.  The bottom line with Roof is that our defenses wer horrendous for some reason but it had little to do with the offense.

i can appreciate your view, but i think all of the crazy misdirection and motion worked well when you had a solid between the tackles threat.  with our OL blocking for dyer and cam as a second (at the tackle) threat to run, it made the speed sweeps, reverses and misdirection deadly.  i loved malzahns creative ideas, but realize that it was only trully effective with a power run game (the qb running just made it that much more impressive).  we had less of a between the tackles threat last year with our soft blocking.

This rudi run has to be in the top 20 (would be higher except for opposition competition level) runs in au history.

Archived