Angelo Blackson Article by Rivals, FREE READ

Elephant Tipper

Sounds like we're going to have a major competition for the DT spot alongside Whittaker. I like Kenneth Carter, and I think he is very talented, but my money is on either Blackson or Wright winning that DT spot.

Blackson since he signed has always been my pick for the lineman with the biggest upside of any d-lineman on our roster.

6-5 300 plus pounds and runs a 5.1 forty...... He also looked pretty quick in our bowl game.

yes ill say it, he will be better than Fairley.

has to much upside not to be.

Hard to say yet. I am not sure he's as quick as Fairley was. But, Blackson may be be productive for several years. While not writing any one off - Blackson, Gabe Wright and Whittaker seem to sort of be rising to the top. The D line is going to be very good - and this is going to make a HUGE difference in the D over all.

I remember last year how he was the one everyone on the D Line said stood out. Everyone compared his build to Fairley...as a freshman. I think he'll be a good one once he puts it together.

I sincerely believe that the defense is about to get really good really quickly. I think Van Gorder is accelerating the process, but the main reason is not coaching; it's the defensive line. For the next two years, our defensive ends are Corey Lemonier, Dee Ford, Nosa Eguae, and Craig Sanders, and our defensive tackles are Jeffrey Whittaker, Gabe Wright, Angelo Blackson, and Kenneth Carter. Now, that doesn't account for everyone who will likely see some kind of time, because there's a lot of young talent knocking on the door (Harrell, Owens, President, Nero, etc), but that's a pretty danged scary two deep if you ask me.

Everything gets easier with a strong defensive line. Penetration means runners have to divert away from their intended hole, often into the waiting arms of a linebacker. It means quarterbacks have to get rid of the ball more quickly than they want to, often leading to an interception or pass breakup. Teaching the DBs to turn and look for the ball will come into play with that one, too.

Yeah, I'm excited about the potential for this year. :D

Just read this on ESPN SEC Blog- I got chills!!!

Blackson offered a some insight to what new defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder is cooking up for 2012.

"I think last season the defense was more gap oriented," Blackson said. "This season it's not so much gaps, we're attacking, we're coming off the ball low and playing in the backfield.

"Last year the games where Coach (Ted) Roof said come off the ball and hit are the games we really showed up against South Carolina and Florida. This defense isn't so much thinking, just coming off the ball man on man.

"Coach VanGorder places an emphasis on not being much of a thinker, not being robotic - come off the ball and playing on the other side of the ball."

BOOOOOOM

Archived