About to talk to a former AU player

PokerJokerAU

About what he saw at a practice he attended recently. Interested to see what his opinion is on the new coaches and players/schemes/general attitude. He should be calling me soon...If anyone has something they want to know about I can try to ask him if you post it before he calls.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to know what former DC at Auburn VanGorder most resembles in terms of attitude, schemes, methods, and swagger.

I'd love to know what former DC at Auburn VanGorder most resembles in terms of attitude, schemes, methods, and swagger.

Ask him about the RB's and LB's specifically Frost if you would please. And thanks!!

Most definitely will ask both of these. I'm interested to know about these too. I'm sure he will have some insight into both, especially since he was not a fan of Dyer's attitude as an RB. I'm interested to ask about Frost as well as Swain at 240+. VanGorder just looks intense...I hope this guy is giddy at how much better he is than Roof.

I would like to know why the defense seemed to struggle all of the time.  If Roof butted heads with Chizik over philosophy or was it something else.  I just don't buy into the depth excuse.

I would really like to know why Auburn's offense was the first offense to struggle under Malzahn in a very long time.

I would like to know why the defense seemed to struggle all of the time.  If Roof butted heads with Chizik over philosophy or was it something else.  I just don't buy into the depth excuse.

I would really like to know why Auburn's offense was the first offense to struggle under Malzahn in a very long time.

This one I can answer from previous discussions with him. Part one is HUNH. Never fares well for a defense. Part 2 is unlocking potential. He told me that he did not think the talent was showing up. He was not 100% sure whether it was the players or Roof, but he seemed to be insinuating that it was poor coaching of fundamentals. "I've never seen a team miss tackles like they did" and "I just don't see the talent translating on the field" were a few things that I remember him saying for sure.  Hopefully he will call me soon or I'm gonna have to bug him. Hate to do that but I'm anxious!

Forgot to mention the difference in philsophy. Basically he seemed to think that Chiz wanted cover 2 almost all the time but Roof was given the reigns at play calling. Roof would blitz alot while still leaving cover 2 intact...leaving the middle wide open. This combined with what I said before was the recipe for our struggles it seems.

Forgot to mention the difference in philsophy. Basically he seemed to think that Chiz wanted cover 2 almost all the time but Roof was given the reigns at play calling. Roof would blitz alot while still leaving cover 2 intact...leaving the middle wide open. This combined with what I said before was the recipe for our struggles it seems.

Roof was not a cover 2 guy. He liked to play man. That was part of the reason he was never super successful at auburn. He was asked to play a defensive style different from his own. Van Gorder should be different. He specializes in blitz heavy cover 2.

Ok, just got off the phone. Here's what I got.

1. On Vangorder- Loved his personality, very outgoing. More Importantly, his D philosophy is in line with Chizik's. Said that it is designed to let the players roam and hit without thinking. Very simple and easy to understand. Keep the ball in front of you rather than (Roof) rush at the ball and over commit.

2. Corey Grant looks great in pads...especially while moving. As good as any running back he has seen. Great straight away speed which makes him look very impressive. If there is any work to be done it is on cutting speed and how good his hips are but all things that Grant is actively working on. Also commented that his work ethic combined with athletic ability has made him a favorite upon both players and coaches. Being that his work ethic is so good there is no doubt in his mind that he can improve on the few small things and be an outstanding player.

3. He saw very little of the LB's. (I will explain why later) Could not remember specific names or even numbers. What he noticed was Thigpen's instructions and the reactions to them by the group as a whole seemed impressive on some players parts by the comments he heard/ did not hear after instruction was given.

4. As far as standouts....Kiehl Frazier and Corey Grant are your winners. On to number 5 about Kiehl.

5. QB race...This is why he saw little of the LB's. When he was looking at the LB's his head turned toward the QB's. Loeffler is very vocal and seems to be a very good instructor. Kiehl Frazier seems to be the leader. He is more level headed than the other QB's and is not injured or a freshman. But that's not what makes Kiehl the leader. Kiehls arm is "VERY LIVE" and his ball has a zip and accuracy combo that is unmatched. He is also very fleet footed. He told me that with the combo of his arm and his feet that if the QB option is still there in this offense then he will be extremely hard to defend. Also Kiehl seems to be showing up for more "optional" meetings than some of the other QB's and has the attitude and work ethic to be a leader.

I asked again about Roof and was told that Roof was a great guy. Very likeable. Unfortunately he and chiz were not meant to be. Neither D scheme is better than the others...they just did not match up.

Also Commented that Eguae, Bates, and T-Bell were very respectful and great guys to talk to.

From the little bit I've read about how cover 2 works I have to admit I didn't like what I read.  I guess if Penn State succeeds next year we'll know that' Auburn's defense stunk because of HC and DC philosophy conflict.

Ok, just got off the phone. Here's what I got.

1. On Vangorder- Loved his personality, very outgoing. More Importantly, his D philosophy is in line with Chizik's. Said that it is designed to let the players roam and hit without thinking. Very simple and easy to understand. Keep the ball in front of you rather than (Roof) rush at the ball and over commit.

2. Corey Grant looks great in pads...especially while moving. As good as any running back he has seen. Great straight away speed which makes him look very impressive. If there is any work to be done it is on cutting speed and how good his hips are but all things that Grant is actively working on. Also commented that his work ethic combined with athletic ability has made him a favorite upon both players and coaches. Being that his work ethic is so good there is no doubt in his mind that he can improve on the few small things and be an outstanding player.

3. He saw very little of the LB's. (I will explain why later) Could not remember specific names or even numbers. What he noticed was Thigpen's instructions and the reactions to them by the group as a whole seemed impressive on some players parts by the comments he heard/ did not hear after instruction was given.

4. As far as standouts....Kiehl Frazier and Corey Grant are your winners. On to number 5 about Kiehl.

5. QB race...This is why he saw little of the LB's. When he was looking at the LB's his head turned toward the QB's. Loeffler is very vocal and seems to be a very good instructor. Kiehl Frazier seems to be the leader. He is more level headed than the other QB's and is not injured or a freshman. But that's not what makes Kiehl the leader. Kiehls arm is "VERY LIVE" and his ball has a zip and accuracy combo that is unmatched. He is also very fleet footed. He told me that with the combo of his arm and his feet that if the QB option is still there in this offense then he will be extremely hard to defend. Also Kiehl seems to be showing up for more "optional" meetings than some of the other QB's and has the attitude and work ethic to be a leader.

I asked again about Roof and was told that Roof was a great guy. Very likeable. Unfortunately he and chiz were not meant to be. Neither D scheme is better than the others...they just did not match up.

Also Commented that Eguae, Bates, and T-Bell were very respectful and great guys to talk to.

Sounds AUsome!!  Keep us informed!  This is far better than the generic crap we read in the papers and other online articles.  :tdau:

From the little bit I've read about how cover 2 works I have to admit I didn't like what I read.  I guess if Penn State succeeds next year we'll know that' Auburn's defense stunk because of HC and DC philosophy conflict.

FWIW I asked about chizik running cover 2. He mentioned several other things (that I can't remember the names of) that chiz uses regularly as a starter for his defense. The main thing is that it is 4-3 and he likes to keep guys in front of the ball. Roof also liked 4-3 but had different cover schemes that he liked and liked to rush after the ball which caused alot of over committing and hits from the side instead of in front.

I forgot this tidbit but it really is an important one. According to him our O-line looks like it could be on its way to the top this year at AU. According to him AU's O-line looks great and seems like they may have the combination of size and technique to make them top echelon again.

I forgot this tidbit but it really is an important one. According to him our O-line looks like it could be on its way to the top this year at AU. According to him AU's O-line looks great and seems like they may have the combination of size and technique to make them top echelon again.

This, to me, is the most important thing. I think some of the other points, while great to hear, are somewhat expected - Frazier, Grant are gonna be good. But, the development of the O line (And D line) is of the utmost importance to the success of the team next year.

Thanks for that Joker. I love hearing information like this.

Also Kiehl seems to be showing up for more "optional" meetings than some of the other QB's and has the attitude and work ethic to be a leader.

Wait hold up, there are optional team meetings and both Frazier and Moseley aren't attending every one? Do they both know there is an open competition between the two?

This, to me, is the most important thing. I think some of the other points, while great to hear, are somewhat expected - Frazier, Grant are gonna be good. But, the development of the O line (And D line) is of the utmost importance to the success of the team next year.

Thanks for that Joker. I love hearing information like this.

^^^^This is what I've been wanting to hear too!!!^^^^  Without this combo for both O and D....we go nowhere....glad to hear of the improvement and can't wait to see it at game time!!!!

Archived