So Yox's Workouts Aren't Any Good Huh?

Weegle777

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why the coaches were impressed with how much Mason changed during the offseason workouts. And yeah BB, what the crap is Yox thinking by not having benchpress? It obviously is lacking by that pic.  :laugh:

First, Weegle goes to a Barry Manilow concert.

Now, he's posting pictures of college guys with their shirts off.

I hate to think of what is next.

:tease:

Mason, like others workout at the gym.  Remember everyone talking about seeing J. Bolomolo at the gym last year. Like it or not the NFL looks at bench for a reason. You need it.  Having a 4 year stared for an SEC school that can't bench 225 x4 is terrible. Say what you want, uga changed strength coaches last year and we could tell the difference.

Mason, like others workout at the gym. Remember everyone talking about seeing J. Bolomolo at the gym last year. Like it or not the NFL looks at bench for a reason. You need it. Having a 4 year stared for an SEC school that can't bench 225 x4 is terrible. Say what you want, uga changed strength coaches last year and we could tell the difference.

:-\ Did they hire a strength coach that has been recognized as strength and conditioning coach of the year and has been recognized as one of, if not the best at what he does? Multiple times?

http://www.advocare.com/science/council/yoxall.aspx

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/022406aam.html

The results speak for themselves, but all those articles and awards are 6+ years old....... Just sayin. And as far as the bench press debate, the nfl puts an emphasis on the test, therefore we should to.....

The results speak for themselves, but all those articles and awards are 6+ years old....... Just sayin. And as far as the bench press debate, the nfl puts an emphasis on the test, therefore we should to.....

Actually Yox won national strength and conditioning COY in 2010...Just sayin. He's also helped produce 2 undefeated seasons, a national championship, 2 SEC championships, numerous NFL players etc. This article may help some to realize that many people feel the way the combine is done now is outdated. http://breakingmuscle.com/sports/nfl-combine-are-they-testing-right-things

I can see why the coaches were impressed with how much Mason changed during the offseason workouts. And yeah BB, what the crap is Yox thinking by not having benchpress? It obviously is lacking by that pic.  :laugh:

I want to see these pics you speak of, anyone know where they are located.

All I can add to this is that when Kiehl got to Auburn not even a year ago, he weighed about 213-215 lbs. and could bench about 300. (he's always been un-naturally strong).

Today he weighs 231 lbs. is faster than he's ever been and even though bench press is not over emphasized, during recent testing he benched pressed 225 lbs. 21 times and can max at about 360 lbs. because of the core training and overall strength training that Yox emphasizes.

You can draw your own conclusions from that I guess.

I dont know if Yox handles all sports or just football, but take a look at Chubb coming out of high school and what his is now.  It is working.  That is a ridiculous transformation. 

All I can add to this is that when Kiehl got to Auburn not even a year ago, he weighed about 213-215 lbs. and could bench about 300. (he's always been un-naturally strong).

Today he weighs 231 lbs. is faster than he's ever been and even though bench press is not over emphasized, during recent testing he benched pressed 225 lbs. 21 times and can max at about 360 lbs. because of the core training and overall strength training that Yox emphasizes.

Nope, Mr. Beach, this board needs better sources than that...

:tease:

One thing that really impressed me about Kiehl last year was his leg strength. As a true freshman QB, he was running right up the gut and dragging guys the whole way. Can't wait to be equally as impressed with his arm strength this year.

thats tebow strong! Almost vampire strong.

thats tebow strong! Almost vampire strong.

... can't wait for those  ;) night games?

One thing that really impressed me about Kiehl last year was his leg strength. As a true freshman QB, he was running right up the gut and dragging guys the whole way. Can't wait to be equally as impressed with his arm strength this year.

Dude, he was running up the gut almost every play he was in against some of the nation's nastiest defenses and he was so strong that I don't remember anyone getting one good shot on him the whole year.

By the way, I imagine Tre makes extra cash by lending out his stomach to wash his neighbors clothes.

Mason, like others workout at the gym.  Remember everyone talking about seeing J. Bolomolo at the gym last year. Like it or not the NFL looks at bench for a reason. You need it.  Having a 4 year stared for an SEC school that can't bench 225 x4 is terrible. Say what you want, uga changed strength coaches last year and we could tell the difference.

You might need to be able to put up reps for the combine, which gives those players going to the combine a reason to practice max repping; but NFL didn't pick bench press for a great reason (like it tells you a lot about on-field performance, or it's necessary for playing football).

There are any number of exercises that would tell you more about strength -- like just about anything they use in those 'World's Strongest Man' contests on ESPN. I'm partial to the keg toss, myself: http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/individual-event/block-keg-toss/.

Gotta practice what works, not just what'll give the team beach bodies. Yox is right.

There is probably too much emphasis placed on the bench press as a measure of strength.  If one does not develop strength in the lumbo pelvic hip complex and core stabiizing muscles it does not do you much good.  When doing functional movements (like blocking), you must be able to stabiize the upper torso to be able to use the pushing strength of the bench press muscles.  I think AUQBDAD as making reference to this in his post. 

There is probably too much emphasis placed on the bench press as a measure of strength.  If one does not develop strength in the lumbo pelvic hip complex and core stabiizing muscles it does not do you much good.  When doing functional movements (like blocking), you must be able to stabiize the upper torso to be able to use the pushing strength of the bench press muscles.  I think AUQBDAD as making reference to this in his post. 

Yep.

Only way bench press would show up on the field is if you're flat on your back trying to push guys off you .... I'd rather be the team putting the other guys on their ... backs.

This is not to say that a focus on core/functional strength will not translate into bench press numbers (as AUQBDad's post indicates, i t can). But if what we wanted was to improve everyone's benchpress, I'm pretty sure we'd be practicing that more, instead.

Archived