Your prediction on the next HC at Arkansas?

WarEagleAU

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they'll name one of the coordinators as interim coach for 2012 and then get Garrick McGee back in Fayettville. I'm sure the folks at UAB are very uncomfortable right now.

I think they will throw a lot of $$$ at McGee to come immediately.

They have made the statement that the interum coach is taking the job for this year. I think it's really late in the year to find someone to hire unless you pull one that's unemployed at the moment. Not too many good coaches sitting at home on the couch right now.

It will also be difficult to sway a coach from a different job due to the fact that he will have to work with what he has when he gets there, coaches and players. Just a bad time of year. It is an SEC job though, so who knows, but I don't think they will be looking too hard until the season starts to wind down, December/January time frame.

Then again, they could find someone tomorrow. What a disaster.

Patterson, Kirby Smart, and Malzhan are three I would put towards the top. I believe Arky would take Patterson in a heartbeat, but may not be able to get him. I believe it is the other way around with Gus. Not sure about Smart. That would be a huge step up as a first HC job and he would probably be in over his head.

Tubs and Leach are others that come to mind. Tubs is probably a long shot. Arky native and very good coach IMO, but not sure Arky would take a guy that was not getting the job done in a weaker (at that time) SEC west in recruiting his final 2-3 years.

Arkansas will stay put with what they have for coaches right now as best they can.  Arkansas has a talented team with a senior qb and a very good rb coming off an injury year.  They still have a chance of having a good year. 

When you replace your hc, you typically replace your whole coaching staff as well.  Turning over your coaching staff after spring practice is a proven recipe for a disastrous year, just ask Mike Shula.

Maybe Arkansas will promote their OC to HC and bring Bobby Petrino back as their OC... :-X

Arkansas will stay put with what they have for coaches right now as best they can.  Arkansas has a talented team with a senior qb and a very good rb coming off an injury year.  They still have a chance of having a good year. 

When you replace your hc, you typically replace your whole coaching staff as well.  Turning over your coaching staff after spring practice is a proven recipe for a disastrous year, just ask Mike Shula.

Maybe Arkansas will promote their OC to HC and bring Bobby Petrino back as their OC... :-X

Probably a good idea to sit tight considering they should have a good team this year. If they were in a rebuilding year, maybe not so much. They will likely lose a recruiting class though with an interim staff. Long term though it gives them a better shot at making the right hire and also to evaluate Gus in his first year as a HC if they want to consider Gus.

Oh yeah, I heard a quote by Tom Coughlin (a guy that has been around forever in the NFL), saying that Petrino was hands down the best play caller he had ever seen when they coached together. He will likely sit out a year, then land on his feet. He is too good not to, all the personal failings aside.

IMO Tommy Tubbs would be a solid coach for Arky...if they go the intern route for a year I think they

will have their eyes on the coaching performances of Tubbs and Gus. They need a home grown guy to

try and keep their top recruits in their state.

IMO Tommy Tubbs would be a solid coach for Arky...if they go the intern route for a year I think they

will have their eyes on the coaching performances of Tubbs and Gus. They need a home grown guy to

Tubs will not even be considered for the job. Hell, he's about to get the ax at Tech and there's a lot of controversy surrounding his family off the field.

Butch Davis

Talk about going from one talented train wreck to another!?!  Look at all the dead bodies at UNC and I would have a hard time believing Long or anyone in the Arky PTB crowd would opt for that possibility.  But they did hire CBP with all his baggage and loved him until he had the zipper problem!

I bet Tubbs would jump at the chance.  To come "home" to Arky & back in the hotbed of the SEC.  I'm not sure that's what the Arky fans want right now though.

If they were smart they would go after Kirby Smart. One of the best D coordinators in the nation and from what I can see Arkansas needs a D boost.

If they were smart they would go after Kirby Smart. One of the best D coordinators in the nation and from what I can see Arkansas needs a D boost.

getsmart.gif

Sean Payton suddenly has a free year, and Arky doesn't need to rush this hire.  Give SP a call, offer him a few bucks to take over for a year...gives Ark a chance to hire interview a ton of folks and not have to rush into the hire. 

I would think that Arkansas would promote within, then stabilize their image and refrain from too much of a change for the team to adjust to .... then hire a HC after next season depending the success of the interim-HC.

Archived