Painting an old aluminum flat bottom boat

aujess07

I owned a Pelican Predator 2 seat boat for a while, but after having some problems with it, the seller agreed to let me buy the flat bottom while paying the difference upon returning the first boat I purchased.

It's not in bad shape, but the last paint job is coming off and has that "rustic" look. So I'm going to try to do a paint job myself.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I know I'll need to sand the old paint off, prep it for primer, hit it with primer, and then paint, but I'm just wanting some feedback from somebody that has done this before.

Thanks in advance!

Fish don't really mind the rustic look so much. Just go fishing.

:laugh:

Yes, I agree. I'm doing it more for my sake than anything else. I will appreciate all the hard work I'm going to put into it.  I don't expect it to look good enough for the showroom, but I do want it to look decent.

Yes, I agree. I'm doing it more for my sake than anything else. I will appreciate all the hard work I'm going to put into it.  I don't expect it to look good enough for the showroom, but I do want it to look decent.

then you probably shouldn't ride in it. :D

then you probably shouldn't ride in it. :D

Hook. Line. Sinker. Well done.  :thumbsup:

Make sure the surface is clean.  You can gently sand the surface and rub down with a tack cloth.  Make sure you use a Zinc Phosphate primer (or another primer specifically made for aluminum surfaces).

I have painted several old flat bottoms with rustoleum. Buy you a gallon of green or gray and flog it. You will need to sand it for bond. I would use satin finish. I aint kidding. It will look like a million dollars. Brush and roll it.

Thanks for the information guys. I started sanding the trailer today. Figured if I was going to repaint the boat, I might as well hit the trailer too.

I have Rustoleum prime and paint. I hope it does the trick.

Finished painting the trailer and started priming the boat.

Let me tell ya: the trailer looks great. It's black, and I'm very proud of myself for my first project!

I can't wait to get the boat done. I'm going to put one more layer on it sometime soon and then paint it with rust-oleum metallic silver paint. The paint looks really good.

:thumbsup:

post pictures

I have the pictures downloaded to my computer, but I know I have to post my pictures via another website and really don't know which one to use.

The finished product (Yes, I will replace the carpet soon):

2012-04-15_16-13-04_617.jpg?t=1334543485

The boat, with first coat of primer, and finished trailer:

2012-04-15_17-05-47_837.jpg?t=1334543498

Thanks guys! I'm pretty proud of it. Now, I just have to finish priming the boat and get started on the paint job.  :yay:

Archived