Athlon's Top 25 Coaches in the Country

Autigers71

Brian Kelly=will be the next Charlie Weiss (as in fired)

Mark Dantonio=yeah right

Mike Gundy=can't win the big one

Bill Snyder=one good year

Pat Fitzgerald=really?

Dan Mullen= :laugh:

Paul Johnson=huh?

Art Briles=no RGIII, back to the cellar

Les Miles=should be top 10

Bret Bielema=should be top 10

Gary Pinkel=are you kidding me?

Al Golden=how's that probation gonna feel?

Mike London=didn't we spank him in the CFA bowl?

Charlie Strong=should never have left UF

It's an opinion piece.  Take it as that.  I don't agree either.  There are five coaches on that list who have a National Championship and two of those are not at the school where they won the NC.   Until Coach Chizik proves he can be in the elite every season, he will not get the respect he deserves.  He does have a National Championship but Cam gets more credit for that than Coach does.  

Dan Mullen must have family voting on that poll or Athlons' staff is a bunch of morons. They got him ranked ahead of coaches he can't even beat. But what better way to get people to talk about you than to post dumb articles for them to tell everyone about?

With regards to bill Snyder, I'm pretty sure he'll be in the college hall of fame when he finally retires for good. He's a great football coach in the big 12 and beat choklahoma in the 2003 big 12 title game, but Oklahoma still got to the title game against lsu. Brian Kelly had two straight Big east titles, right? Let him have a chance at notre dame before trashing him (even though I hate notre dame). What mark dantonio does at Michigan state is nothing short of miraculous. Having them in contention every year is a wonderful coaching job even of it is the depleted big 10. Mike London is doing wonders at UVA, Les Miles wins in spite of his own ineptitude. Gary pinkel proved him self in the big 12, now we'll see how that style will translate to the sec.

Dan Mullen is a freaking joke and he will probably be fired next year if he doesn't go to a bowl which is incredibly likely to happen, Charlie strong is doing ok at Louisville but I don't see him as a top 25 candidate. Both get the urban Mayer bump. Art briles will be hired away from Baylor by a big boy soon. Al golden won at temple, which is a miracle but I'll wait till he proves himself in the acc. Paul Johnson won early in the ACC but once you start seeing that triple option over and over and over again you learn it's all about discipline and gap responsibility and can be fairly easily defended unless executed perfectly.

Just my two cents

Mullen might be an okay coach but he only beat one team that finished with a winning record last year-- LA Tech.

Chizik has had a rough ride at Auburn over his 3 years.  First year he took over a demoralized and depleted team and managed to get them to a bowl game, which he won.  His second year he had a senior loaded team, a couple of once in a lifetime players, a favorable schedule, a lot of luck on the field and took them to an undefeated championship season but had to put up the worst and most immoral, dishonest, and unethical media bs I have ever heard of outside of what the Nazi propaganda machine threw at the Jews in pre WWII Germany.  In his third year he lost about 25 seniors, 3 of what would have been his best returning players to the NFL, 4 players to a home invasion/robbery disaster, and another to repeated off field problems and still managed to win a few games he shouldn't have and get to a decent bowl game, which he won with his best rb suspended... which was most of what little offense he had.  All in all, he has done very well but the media still holds a grudge over not being proven correct when they lied like dogs trying to destroy his program for a year or so.

I would not include Mullen and Spurrier would be at the bottom of the list if he even made it (look at his record the last ten years or so--very mediocre). And say what you will about him but I'd have Les Miles around number 5, the guy wins. I think I'd also have Bobby Petrino and Bo Pelini on my list.

It's an opinion piece.  Take it as that.  I don't agree either.  There are five coaches on that list who have a National Championship and two of those are not at the school where they won the NC.   Until Coach Chizik proves he can be in the elite every season, he will not get the respect he deserves.  He does have a National Championship but Cam gets more credit for that than Coach does.  

Oddly though the Pinkels, Mullens, Kelly's, etc are getting respect for doing nothing..what Chizik did coaching this team his first year, short roster, dead arm QB, team coming off a horrendous season...still wins a bowl game and 8-5 record...second year recruits well takes a chance on a suspended QB, molds a senior laden team, holds a team together through media scrutiny they cheated, held Oregon's high scoring offense to 19pts..wins NC, 3rd year loses 25 seniors, predicted by Athlon and others to go 3-9, manages to keep team together and win 8 games, including a bowl game everyone said he would lose.....yeah this guy can't coach...

I remember a time when you could not wait for Athlon and Lindys mags to come out. This was obviously before the days of the internet and they use to be decent magazines.

Its a shame that in 15 years it has come to something like this article.

I think what irritates me more, is not the top 25 list but the way they ranked the SEC coaches.  What were these people thinking?  They ranked Vandy's HC (Franklin) ahead of CGC.  WTH? :dunno:

Archived