A big key to our team this year

touchdownAU

I hope to see a lot of scoring drives like week saw during the first scoring drive of Aday. Long drawn out drives like that will only help the defense by keeping them rested and off the field while also wearing down the opposing defense. I think this will really help when we play clemson. If have some long drives and then get some 3 and outs on defense to begin the game I think we will dominate the 4th quarter. Thoughts?

Perhaps more of a key is the 3 and outs.  We have to score when we have the ball and get off the field when we don't.  Simple philosophy of football.  If you don't finish the drives with touchdowns, and you give up a 30 second touchdown drive, it does no good to hold on to the ball the whole game.

Our defense was a sive last year. Improved defensive play will take a lot of pressure off of the offense.

Our D gave up nearly 30 points a game last year. Im not expecting us to turn into the '85 Bears in one offseason, but if we can shave 10-12 points off of that I'll build a shrine to BVG in the basement.

I think the biggest improvement will be on the defense. Let's face it , Ted Roof was not a very good coach. I understand the whole "don't give up the big play" picture. But not on 3rd and 2. Our d.b.s played off the recievers 10-15 yards every snap last year. I wanted to choke my t.v. I look for a much more agressive defense this year. From everything I've read, this is what BVG is telling the players, partiicularly the lineman. Get upfield and make a play. Also, we are going to see a big leap in experience. D should be good this year.

In my opinion, the biggest key to improvement will be the O-line. Many of the three and outs were do to massive amounts of pressure on the football in the backfield. I believe that the defense is making great strides but I would love to see some great line play this year.

In my opinion, the biggest key to improvement will be the O-line. Many of the three and outs were do to massive amounts of pressure on the football in the backfield. I believe that the defense is making great strides but I would love to see some great line play this year.

Agree,

1. O-Line Play

2. QB Play

I think our skill guys are very talented on offense, and I think the defense will be much improved.

In my opinion, the biggest key to the season would be scoring more points than the other team in as many games as possible.

In my opinion, the biggest key to the season would be scoring more points than the other team in as many games as possible.

Works every time !

:wareagle:

Our D gave up nearly 30 points a game last year. Im not expecting us to turn into the '85 Bears in one offseason, but if we can shave 10-12 points off of that I'll build a shrine to BVG in the basement.

Make sure it's okay with your mom first.  :laugh: :laugh:  ;)

Guest jrljr

Make sure it's okay with your mom first.   :laugh: :laugh:  ;)

:laugh::P:laugh:

Increased production from:

1 - D line - Key to the D

2 - O line - Key to the O

3 - QB

Keep similar production from:

1 - Kicking game

2 - Running backs

30sy9hv.gif

I think the biggest improvement will be on the defense. Let's face it , Ted Roof was not a very good coach. I understand the whole "don't give up the big play" picture. But not on 3rd and 2. Our d.b.s played off the recievers 10-15 yards every snap last year. I wanted to choke my t.v. I look for a much more agressive defense this year. From everything I've read, this is what BVG is telling the players, partiicularly the lineman. Get upfield and make a play. Also, we are going to see a big leap in experience. D should be good this year.

^^ THIS ^^

If there was one glaring problem on defense, this was it!!

With the lineman having more of a attack approach, im looking forward to what our linebackers are going to be doing. They should have more gaps for blitzes cause of the pressure but will have to be tackling machines when a run play takes place.

On third-and-1, a run will convert for a new set of downs 36 percent more often than a pass. Expand that to all third or fourth downs with 1-2 yards to go, and the run is successful 40 percent more often. Of those runs, the majority are within the tackles.  With that knowledge, the CB has primary force in short runs in cover-2 and has a better chance playing off the ball than being locked up on the line.  I understand the perceived weakness, but its not necessarily true.  On runs to the outside, the WR has an easier chance to turn the CB in press man as opposed to a catch technique. 

On third-and-1, a run will convert for a new set of downs 36 percent more often than a pass. Expand that to all third or fourth downs with 1-2 yards to go, and the run is successful 40 percent more often. Of those runs, the majority are within the tackles.  With that knowledge, the CB has primary force in short runs in cover-2 and has a better chance playing off the ball than being locked up on the line.  I understand the perceived weakness, but its not necessarily true.  On runs to the outside, the WR has an easier chance to turn the CB in press man as opposed to a catch technique. 

Did Stat write that for you? :tease: j/k sounds alot like Stat.

What got me the last few years was giving up a first down on third and more than 10 to go.  I have always believed you bring the house so that the recievers don't even have time to get 10 yds down field.  I hated seeing us rush 4 or 5, not get pressure and give up a 3rd and fifteen.

Did Stat write that for you? :tease: j/k sounds alot like Stat.

What got me the last few years was giving up a first down on third and more than 10 to go.  I have always believed you bring the house so that the recievers don't even have time to get 10 yds down field.  I hated seeing us rush 4 or 5, not get pressure and give up a 3rd and fifteen.

we haven't had the ability to blitz often or get pressure with our front four the last few years, the exception to that was the championship year.  Now that we have more depth at LB and DL the pressure should increase.

30sy9hv.gif

Wow. Burn, as we used to say. (Not quite as old as Golf  :tease:)

On third-and-1, a run will convert for a new set of downs 36 percent more often than a pass. Expand that to all third or fourth downs with 1-2 yards to go, and the run is successful 40 percent more often. Of those runs, the majority are within the tackles. With that knowledge, the CB has primary force in short runs in cover-2 and has a better chance playing off the ball than being locked up on the line. I understand the perceived weakness, but its not necessarily true. On runs to the outside, the WR has an easier chance to turn the CB in press man as opposed to a catch technique.

Wow! I knew that this yellow fellow was smarter than he looked. :o

Archived