Poor Tackling and Blocking

Gibbon7

I am about sick of hearing the excuse from players AND coaches that "we need to work on tackling". Football is all about Blocking and Tackling, we are doing neither very well consistently right now. I work with 11 year old kids on tackling and blocking twice a week. Even THEY get it and do it or they simply don't want the contact, it is just that simple. How can a player get recruited to what was previously a top tier SEC football team (sorry folks, we are THE WORST SEC team this year) and not already be VERY good at tackling? What is going on at practice? What is the deal with the week after week, year after year mantra of "we need to work on tackling". Perplexing. >:( Any former players that understand better than I do what actually goes on at a level of football practices such as Auburn's and how this 4 year old excuse can be explained, please help me understand this. Penn State seems to be able to tackle, maybe Roof wasn't the problem at all?? The Bulldogs and Falcons tackled just fine under Van Gorder. ISU is tackling very well. What is up with this lame excuse and what is the problem??

And another thought, is it possible, just maybe, that Jeff Grimes was brought in to coach up an offensive line for a spread offense and he is not the man to coach an O-line for a pro style or whatever you want to call our offense? Maybe I am off base there but anyone that knows more about it than I do please repsond.

I see poor blocking and poor tackling being the root cause of a 1-5 start. The other players cannot do anything productive until those two fundamental elements are corrected. Remember when we went into the swamp in the middle of the season in 2007 with 4 or 5 freshman offensive linemen and won that game? Was it because those were better linemen, or was Nall a better line coach? Or both???

War Damn Eagle and "Fix the tackling" fellas. :dunno:

I am about sick of hearing the excuse from players AND coaches that "we need to work on tackling". Football is all about Blocking and Tackling, we are doing neither very well consistently right now. I work with 11 year old kids on tackling and blocking twice a week. Even THEY get it and do it or they simply don't want the contact, it is just that simple. How can a player get recruited to what was previously a top tier SEC football team (sorry folks, we are THE WORST SEC team this year) and not already be VERY good at tackling? What is going on at practice? What is the deal with the week after week, year after year mantra of "we need to work on tackling". Perplexing. >:( Any former players that understand better than I do what actually goes on at a level of football practices such as Auburn's and how this 4 year old excuse can be explained, please help me understand this. Penn State seems to be able to tackle, maybe Roof wasn't the problem at all?? The Bulldogs and Falcons tackled just fine under Van Gorder. ISU is tackling very well. What is up with this lame excuse and what is the problem??

And another thought, is it possible, just maybe, that Jeff Grimes was brought in to coach up an offensive line for a spread offense and he is not the man to coach an O-line for a pro style or whatever you want to call our offense? Maybe I am off base there but anyone that knows more about it than I do please repsond.

I see poor blocking and poor tackling being the root cause of a 1-5 start. The other players cannot do anything productive until those two fundamental elements are corrected. Remember when we went into the swamp in the middle of the season in 2007 with 4 or 5 freshman offensive linemen and won that game? Was it because those were better linemen, or was Nall a better line coach? Or both???

AMEN, I have been saying the same thing for 4 years now. How are we recruiting players that don't know how to tackle and block ? How are these players rated so high? Truth is they knew how while they were in High School.

Tackling takes toughness which we lack. Our DL ad LBers are weak and NEVER get off blocks. Watch a game and see how many times they get off a block to make a tackle. Not many. I saw Wright do it a couple of times yesterday. He needs to be starting. Holland tries hard but does not have the speed or strength to shed a block and plug the hole. Witness the long TD run right up the gut. It's time to go through boot camp (yes in the middle of the season) and find out who is tough enough to make tackles and who is not. But I don't see that happening.

i usually assume the coaches know who gives the best chance to win and dont call for guys on the bench to be playing, but how bad can kris frost be?

AMEN, I have been saying the same thing for 4 years now. How are we recruiting players that don't know how to tackle and block ? How are these players rated so high? Truth is they knew how while they were in High School.

Most players in high school are rated on their stats not their fundamentals. What I have never liked is coaches who sign a player because of their star rating and not what they see on film. Love him or hate him, xCTT was a good recruiter of fundamental talent.

i usually assume the coaches know who gives the best chance to win and dont call for guys on the bench to be playing, but how bad can kris frost be?

I have no idea. Two seasons and I havent seen him at LB yet...seems crazy considering all the accolades he came in with. I know he had surgery but I thought he would be a player this season.

Most players in high school are rated on their stats not their fundamentals. What I have never liked is coaches who sign a player because of their star rating and not what they see on film. Love him or hate him, xCTT was a good recruiter of fundamental talent.

I understand and agree with what you are saying, but how do you have good stats without good fundamentals?

Kris Frost would b an all-American player if he was being coached by someone other than chizik. I like the guy but head coach is not his mo. See Ron zook at Florida for comparison.

Lemonier has basically disappeared the last two weeks. I don't recall seeing him much of all yesterday. I think Daren Bates was in on every play and Holsey did a good job but other than those not many others. Whitehead is a hard hitter but not a great cover guy. It was good to see Ashton get a sack but then on the next play everyone stood and watched as got dry humped by the rb on his way to the end zone.

Kris Frost would b an all-American player if he was being coached by someone other than chizik. I like the guy but head coach is not his mo. See Ron zook at Florida for comparison.

That is nothing but massive speculation on your part. There's no way to know that to be fact.

I heard a discussion on this very subject during one of the games yesterday (I don't remember which), but someone was saying that coaches don't like doing tackling drills for fear of injury or some other such nonsense. If your players can't tackle, they aren't going to get any better if you don't do the drills. DUH!!!

I understand and agree with what you are saying, but how do you have good stats without good fundamentals?

There is such a monumental difference between high school and college. Good stats in high school can come from being the biggest most physically developed player on the field each week. Good stats in college are much more difficult to come by. I have just never gotten all caught up in recruiting for this reason. I don't particularly care about watching a kid that is 6" taller than everyone else catching crazy passes or an O-Lineman that is 100lbs bigger than everyone else pancaking everyone in his path....in high school. It is just WAY more difficult. Just think about how many high schools there are compared to major college programs. The talent level played against each week is tremendously different and how a kid adjusts can make or break them. The star rating on a high school kid is no different than pre-season rankings for team. I just don't put a lot in either.

U may b rite wartiger that's probably from frustration but what if Kwon alexander came to AU instead, do u think he would get that much playing time here as a tru freshman?

Archived