All Things AU Linebacker thread

ellitor

For all you Mikey-maniacs and Mikey-haters this is your playground. Have fun!

Keep it LB centered and no insults please.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most interesting things to me about this upcoming season are the switch in position between Cass and Frost and to see what Tre looks like on the field.

I'm looking for improved LB play this season, and I think we'll see it.

I think we are solid at LB and don't need to recruit any for a couple years. :)

Thems be fightin words for Mikey. lol

Like every Auburn fan, I hope our current guys step it up. I'm simply not optimistic that they will. Frost is entering his fourth year at AU and McKinzy his third. It's past time...

Deshaun Davis is now entering his second season after his injury and should be ready to go. Tre Williams was our most outstanding recruit at LB in several years. Those two will be playing a significant amount if the returners don't improve their games by leaps and bounds.

Like every Auburn fan, I hope our current guys step it up. I'm simply not optimistic that they will. Frost is entering his fourth year at AU and McKinzy his third. It's past time...

Deshaun Davis is now entering his second season after his injury and should be ready to go. Tre Williams was our most outstanding recruit at LB in several years. Those two will be playing a significant amount if the returners don't improve their games by leaps and bounds.

Agreed! And we will b MUCH faster on d, and more athletic this year! Can't wait

I think we have recuited kids that were rated high, but they have not played at the level we had hoped. We really need our LB's to step it up this year for our defense to improve.

That was very sensible. I share most of your sentiments. I believe we will see them move to the next level because we have never seen them play in year 2 of the same defense.

Frost and McKinzy switching positions seems natural to me and should show on the field. McKinzy is the big, down hill run stopper we need in the middle and Frost's athleticism ought to show playing in space (remember, this guy ran down JFF in the open field.) I'm excited to see those two and Moncrief more than anyone else on D.

It's been a few years since I've seen top-level SEC caliber play from our linebackers, so I'm looking forward to improvement. I saw some improvement last year, mostly in pass-coverage, not so much in run stopping.

Davis is redshirting right? Is that why he tweeted that he isn't going to wear #12? Does anybody have info on what numbers every player will wear?

Cam Toney, and Swain are pretty big guys. I think they'll be excellent backups this year.

Frost and McKinzy switching positions seems natural to me and should show on the field. McKinzy is the big, down hill run stopper we need in the middle and Frost's athleticism ought to show playing in space (remember, this guy ran down JFF in the open field.) I'm excited to see those two and Moncrief more than anyone else on D.

McKinzy is the prototypical Middle in Johnson's 4-2-5. Frost is much better suited outside.

The place to watch is boundary safety. Why do i say that?......

Here is why.....

The 3-4 and 4-3 are 7 man front defenses.

Meaning the offense has to account for 7 defenders at the line of scrimmage.

UnderRunFits2_original.jpg?1365451351

These are base gap responsibilities in the 4-3

However we run a 6 man front in the 4-2-5

Slide1_medium.jpg

The Sam Line backer is now a Hybrid that needs to provide run support and provide coverage skills to the field side(wide side). He needs to be big like an OLB but able to play zone or press man like a DB. His role is DB coverage with run support outside. The Boundary safety does not have to be quite as fast but need to be a bit bigger. We did not have this guy last year but we do now in Derrick Moncrief. He has to provide the run support opposite of the Star/Spur/ Hybrid player and this defense is now a disguised 4-4 or 8 man front against the run. the Corners and the Field safety play a cover 3 shell over the top and do not worry about run support.

As a football player if you do not quite trust that your guy will be there, you will try to over compensate. We over ran gaps plenty last year because our true run d weakness was in the boundary safety position.

McKinzy is the prototypical Middle in Johnson's 4-2-5. Frost is much better suited outside.

Here is why.....

Slide1_medium.jpg

The Sam Line backer is now a Hybrid that needs to provide run support and provide coverage skills to the field side(wide side). He needs to be big like an OLB but able to play zone or press man like a DB. His role is DB coverage with run support outside. The Boundary safety does not have to be quite as fast but need to be a bit bigger. We did not have this guy last year but we do now in Derrick Moncrief. He has to provide the run support opposite of the Star/Spur/ Hybrid player and this defense is now a disguised 4-4 or 8 man front against the run. the Corners and the Field safety play a cover 3 shell over the top and do not worry about run support.

As a football player if you do not quite trust that your guy will be there, you will try to over compensate. We over ran gaps plenty last year because our true run d weakness was in the boundary safety position.

Nice.

Here is why.....

Slide1_medium.jpg

Agree totally, in any defense the key to stopping the run is interior d line eating up blockers , the ends keeping contain and the linebackers/ strong safety filling the holes and making the tackle. Well in the past we have been decent with line play, the backers usually got stuck on blocks, mis read the play or filled the hole and just got ran over. Hopefully with improved backer play and an actual STRONG safety this year we should see a major improvement.

Agree totally, in any defense the key to stopping the run is interior d line eating up blockers , the ends keeping contain and the linebackers/ strong safety filling the holes and making the tackle. Well in the past we have been decent with line play, the backers usually got stuck on blocks, mis read the play or filled the hole and just got ran over. Hopefully with improved backer play and an actual STRONG safety this year we should see a major improvement.

No such thing as a strong safety bruh.

No such thing as a strong safety bruh.

Lol. Sorry, a STRONG run stopping boundary safety. Most traditional defenses put there best run support safety on the " strong" or stacked side of the offense. They refer to them as the strong safety. I know our defense doesn't change sides per offensive formation. Just an old habit of calling the run stopping safety the strong safety.

Great post 1TT! I am a sunshine pumper of epic levels, however, I don't think it's unwarranted to be very excited about our LB position this year. McKinzy quietly had a great season last year. He didn't make a ton of incredible plays but he was probably our most sure tackler in the back 7 and seemed to be decent in coverage. With the switch of positions to a more natural fit for both LBs this year AND it being year 2 in a system that leans on LBs to make a lot of calls, I think we witness a great year from our LBs.

After looking at the numbers, i feel maybe Mikey has a point about building depth at LB. It would seem like we are behind the curve on LB depth. Especially after who we lose this year. :dunno:

Who do we lose this year?

'Mike' Linebacker

8 Cassanova McKinzy | 6-3 | 249 | Junior | Birmingham, Ala.

47 Cameron Toney | 6-1 | 243 | R-Freshman | Huntsville, Ala. -- OR --

30 Tre' Williams | 6-2 | 225 | Freshman | Mobile, Ala.

RS 5 Deshaun Davis | 5-11 | 230 | Freshman | Mobile, Ala.

40 Daniel Pond | 6-1 | 207 | R-Junior | Spanish Fort, Ala.

ST -- Josh Shockley | 5-10 | 215 | Freshman | McDonough, Ga.

'Will' Linebacker

17 Kris Frost | 6-2 | 234 | R-Junior | Matthews, N.C.

33 Kenny Flowers | 6-1 | 230 | Junior | Lilburn, Ga. -- OR --

43 Anthony Swain | 6-2 | 249 | R-Junior | Gadsden, Ala.

16 Javiere Mitchell | 6-2 | 210 | R-Sophomore | Leeds, Ala.

22 Khari Harding | 6-0 | 224 | Sophomore | Edmond, Okla.

83 Michael Clifton | 6-3 | 250 | R-Sophomore | Evans, Ga.

Archived